Caldari new player - WTF SHOULD I BE TRAINING?

Jamezeo

Veteran XV
I'm about 4 days into the game and I'm getting frustrated and discouraged. I can totally see the appeal and I've always been so damn interested and fascinated with EVE, I just always have trouble *getting into* it. I've read all the guides, I've read all the stickies (from like '05 mind you) and blah blah - but nothing tells me the exact order and plan of skills I need to be training.

Basically - WHAT THE FUCK SHOULD I BE TRAINING UP?

I hate how the community/game stress so much that there are important stats and there are useless stats, there are "wrong" skills to train up first and there are "right" skills to train up first. Basically there is a "wrong" way for a new player to play and a "right" way - does no one else see the gigantic flaw in that? It's fucking discouraging to a new player and makes me second guess all the time I've spent training shit so far. I'm in my Merlin, with 2 missle launchers and some hybrid turret. I've just been training up a few learning skills and then stuff associated with missle launchers, basically what I think will help me do missions easier. I kill mission npcs np, but I still feel like I'm wasting my time probably training shit that I don't need right away.

I'm Caldari - what should my skill plan be?

Thanks ahead, and ignore the rantiness of the post, but I just get so damn frustrated with this game - it's a bittersweet affair.

Personally when I started I just trained whatever the hell I wanted and ignored all those "right/wrong" discussions. It's worked out.

For you personally, just set yourself a goal and work toward that.

Want to be a mining magnate? Then look at the Hulk ship and start training all the skills listed there (and any prerequisites of those skills).

Want to kill as much shit as possible? Then look at a combination of hybrid, missile (lots of missile), and shield skills. For ships, cruisers and battlecruisers are a good early goal (and work well far in the future, Drakes see a lot of use).

You can also go on the market and look through the list of skills available and see if anything catches your eye (same goes for ships) and train towards that.

So basically, pick a goal you think will be fun and work towards that, toss in a few learning skills for the hell of it, and relax a bit. Yes there's a steep learning curve but the game is supposed to be fun.

Oh and for now, just train most skills up to 3 or 4, you don't usually need higher than that right now (unless something asks for that) and for most of the early skills you can get to that level fairly quickly.

When i started playing i quickly realized that the time to do low tech levels of wrong skills is inconsequential compared to the time it takes to do higher levels or the right skills. So really feel free to tech up as you see fit because the real decision making begins when you have to start deciding if you are willing to train something for a week, not if you should spend an hour on something useless.

I mainly looked for ships i wanted and tried to tech into a usefull pvp role (tackling)

I got a nice base of fitting and cap skills, then trained for the next ship up and its associated skills. I'd train the guns I needed, the tanking I needed, then the ship itself. Ship is useless without the supporting skills to fly it.

Finally found some dude to just totally explain things and answer my questions in a convo last night - feel a lot less frustrated now that I know where I am more.

I'm going to train up most of my learning skills to IV (Learning to V) and then work on stuff that will help me shield tank, missle launcher related stuff, and some engineering related stuff.

I was under the impression that the point of the game was just to advance to the next best ship as fast as possible - but I forgot that "just because you can fly it, doesn't mean you should be flying it" motto people like to sling around in EVE. So I was feelling like I needed to be in a cruiser asap, didn't realize a kestrel was really all I needed right now.

Finally found some dude to just totally explain things and answer my questions in a convo last night - feel a lot less frustrated now that I know where I am more.

I'm going to train up most of my learning skills to IV (Learning to V) and then work on stuff that will help me shield tank, missle launcher related stuff, and some engineering related stuff.

I was under the impression that the point of the game was just to advance to the next best ship as fast as possible - but I forgot that "just because you can fly it, doesn't mean you should be flying it" motto people like to sling around in EVE. So I was feelling like I needed to be in a cruiser asap, didn't realize a kestrel was really all I needed right now.

Feel free to ask any questions in the in-game channel "tribalwar" -quotes. Everyone is nub friendly.

Had that Curse been properly set up with turret disruptors, that would have been a much different outcome. The tempest would have died or at least the Curse could have just left at any time.

ACUALLY that wouldnt of mattered..warp scrams turning off mwd's ftl..and also i had all of my neuts on that ceptor..he never dropped his point or turned off his mwd

Feel free to ask any questions in the in-game channel "tribalwar" -quotes. Everyone is nub friendly.
I always idle in the channel - not going to lie though, was afraid to ask questions, knowing how TW is :) Assumed I would just get ripped on.

The rookie help channel is pretty damn useless though - way too much spam, hard to get any serious answer.

I always idle in the channel - not going to lie though, was afraid to ask questions, knowing how TW is :) Assumed I would just get ripped on.

The rookie help channel is pretty damn useless though - way too much spam, hard to get any serious answer.

Haha, I assumed the same when I started. Found it to be the exact opposite though. Everyone is USUALLY very helpful.

As long as you don't ask for advice and then regularly ignore the advice we give you, we are helpful, distracted by something else going on, or afk.

Not frowned upon and in no way gimped.

In some cases it gets ridiculously easy to do since some ship skills are non-race specific. For example the Interceptor skill will let you fly all interceptors as long as you have the corresponding frigate skills trained up (so yes you still have to have the 4 frigates plus Interceptors trained, but it's better than needing 8 skills).

The only issue is the amount of time it takes to train up the needed skills, but there is overlap. Caldari and Gallente both use hybrids for instance.

Back