Stuttering issue by Strik3r - TribalWar Forums
Click Here to find great hosting deals from Branzone.com

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > Current Gaming > Tribes Talk
Reload this Page Stuttering issue
Strik3r
VeteranXX
Old
1 - 02-16-2010, 02:42
Reinstalled today after having not played in a year at least...and the first time on this computer that I built back in May. Although my FPS never drop, I am getting a strange stuttering feel to my gameplay...it isn't nonstop, but periodic enough that it's both noticeable and annoying. I've been trying out Milk-Man's full directory linked over in the Resources thread, as well as an old config I found buried on an old external hard drive, and see it on both.
Playing on Windows 7 64-bit, i7 proc, radeon 4890 -- I'm seeing the issue regardless of what showfps(); is showing, whether it be 150 or 450..I never see the framerate drop, but there's definitely an issue.

Anyone have any idea what the problem might be?

Sponsored Links
Milk-Man
VeteranXX
Old
2 - 02-16-2010, 02:49
What antivirus do you have? Some will cause what you're describing. Also make sure to close all other programs. If that doesn't work try running a basic config without hudbot and see what that does.

I had to uninstall AVG antivirus because of this. Now I'm using Avira Antivir and it's been better

Strik3r
VeteranXX
Old
3 - 02-16-2010, 09:50
I'm running Avira right now, but I'll try both of those things when I get home from work to see if they fix it, thanks.

lemon
Sour++
Contributor
Old
4 - 02-16-2010, 11:20
ati sucks

older drivers didn't do it for me but the newer ones are ****ing with my tribes

Strik3r
VeteranXX
Old
5 - 02-16-2010, 20:32
Hmmm, definitely not as noticeable (or possibly not there) in a completely clean install...but I noticed that in that install I can watch as it draws in the terrain (the closer I get, it finally draws the exact terrain), whereas in MM's it looks always drawn. Is it purely an ATI thing? Some kind of texture pack that I might have in MM's and my own config? I used to play (on my other config) on my 5 year old laptop, and this computer runs any current game maxed out -- kind of sad haha.

Nailer
VeteranXV
Old
6 - 02-16-2010, 20:45
The problem might be attributed to the multi-core processor, set the core affinity for the tribes executable in windows task manger or alternately you can add the required parameters to a batch file.

hyung
VeteranXX
Old
7 - 02-16-2010, 20:45
its a hudbot thing

try type $pref::screensize=1; into console in game

you can also find that in clientprefs or andrew config prefs somewhere

that pref controls how much of the terrain your computer loads - with newer machines it is really bad unless it is set to 1 (loads the maximum amount). ati in general is pretty rough with tribes :/

Strik3r
VeteranXX
Old
8 - 02-16-2010, 20:51
Thanks for the suggestions everyone, I will definitely be giving these a try sometime tonight.

WeRe-|WoLf|-
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
9 - 02-16-2010, 20:57
To verify one of the possible antivirus causes you might try adding an exception to your scanner config for your Tribes directory. If it works maybe you could narrow it down to only whatever file or folder is being written to so much.

Milk-Man
VeteranXX
Old
10 - 02-16-2010, 20:57
Yea, do what ops said. Also, try using my config the way it's currently set up, right click your Antivir and uncheck "Antivir Guard enable" for a brief time and then try it. See what happens.

NoFiX
VeteranXV
Old
11 - 02-16-2010, 22:06
Start with a standard config. If that works, then you know it's a 3rd party issue, more than likely HUDBot.

Strik3r
VeteranXX
Old
12 - 02-16-2010, 22:34
Quote:
Originally Posted by opsayo View Post
its a hudbot thing

that pref controls how much of the terrain your computer loads - with newer machines it is really bad unless it is set to 1 (loads the maximum amount). ati in general is pretty rough with tribes :/
Thanks! And thanks to everyone else that had suggestions as well, I really appreciate it. It appears that this change did the trick, as it's no longer stuttering.

Again, I appreciate all the help -- now I can commence getting my rusty ass kicked

eldee
VeteranXX
Old
13 - 02-20-2010, 13:15
mine has been doing the same thing, i checked to see if $pref::screensize=1 was present in the the clientprefs and it already was so i have no idea

Sharps
VeteranXV
Old
14 - 02-20-2010, 13:45
Quote:
its a hudbot thing

Awesome. My comp's been doing this for ~2 years, Radeon 4870. Tanks!

dangerdee
Veteran++
Old
15 - 02-28-2010, 06:34
Holy **** i cant beleive $pref::screensize=1; fixed my tribes aswell.

You are a miracle worker.

hyung
VeteranXX
Old
16 - 02-28-2010, 07:03
Quote:
Originally Posted by eldee View Post
mine has been doing the same thing, i checked to see if $pref::screensize=1 was present in the the clientprefs and it already was so i have no idea
what kind of video card do you have

Flyingnugget
Veteran²
Old
17 - 03-03-2010, 17:28
Quote:
its a hudbot thing

Can we ****ing Sticky this ****?

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > Current Gaming > Tribes Talk
Reload this Page Stuttering issue

Social Website Bullshit