So my stupid smoke detector's going off for no reason by Ben Reed - Page 6 - TribalWar Forums
Click Here to find great hosting deals from Branzone.com

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar History > TWHOF
Reload this Page So my stupid smoke detector's going off for no reason
Page 6 of 9
Ben Reed
VeteranX
Old
101 - 09-27-2008, 02:04
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigafool View Post
Well, duh. I'm not gonna lie to you about "Oh that, yeah, I quit WoW, haven't played it in months" when it takes you a whopping 3 mousestrokes to objectively prove that I'm bull****ting.

Sponsored Links
naptown
VeteranXV
Old
102 - 09-27-2008, 02:06
this can't be real

no one sucks this much ass

Flyersfan
VeteranXX
Old
103 - 09-27-2008, 02:07
is your brother younger or older

does he watch anime

does he have a job

does he have a car

nigafool
VeteranXX
Old
104 - 09-27-2008, 02:07
i would wager that if you quit playing video games

and got a job that forced you to interact with other adults on some level (for instance not at a petting zoo)

life problems such as these would crop up less often

or when they did, you would have better solutions than "call mom and dad" and "ask the internet"

Ben Reed
VeteranX
Old
105 - 09-27-2008, 02:16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyersfan View Post
is your brother younger or older
Younger. But not by much. Hell, the way he acts compared to me, he might as well be older.

Quote:
does he watch anime
Yes. But we both do it mostly to make fun of it. It's far more of a B-movie thing than it is a "holy **** I understand/appreciate life better having watched this" thing for the both of us.

Quote:
does he have a job
No, but to be honest, his prospects are probably much better than mine.

Quote:
does he have a car
No.

nigafool
VeteranXX
Old
106 - 09-27-2008, 02:17
at least you have a good reason for watching japanese cartoons in your free time

Flyersfan
VeteranXX
Old
107 - 09-27-2008, 02:19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Reed View Post
Younger. But not by much. Hell, the way he acts compared to me, he might as well be older.

Yes. But we both do it mostly to make fun of it. It's far more of a B-movie thing than it is a "holy **** I understand/appreciate life better having watched this" thing for the both of us.

No, but to be honest, his prospects are probably much better than mine.

No.

how do you guys keep the ladies away

i mean you must be beating them with a stick am i rite

Ben Reed
VeteranX
Old
108 - 09-27-2008, 02:25
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigafool View Post
i would wager that if you quit playing video games

and got a job that forced you to interact with other adults on some level (for instance not at a petting zoo)

life problems such as these would crop up less often

or when they did, you would have better solutions than "call mom and dad" and "ask the internet"
I would agree with the first two (minus the "petting zoo" comment), and disagree with the second two for separate reasons.

I disagree with the characterization of this occurrence as a "life problem". My physical life is not at stake here. I have nothing to lose besides immaterial (and in many ways, replaceable) dignity from letting this thing run until morning. (I'm not letting it run any longer than that.) This is not a test of my totality as a human being. Nobody is going to come and whisk me away to jail because I didn't unplug a smoke detector, and am therefore an irredeemably pathetic waste of resources. This is a piece of circuitry, encased in plastic, malfunctioning for ostensibly electrical reasons. There's nothing more to it than that.

As for "asking the Internet", I didn't ASK TW for anything. I offered to share this little anecdote as an insipid little slice-of-life piece that we all adore, and to enjoy the meaningless gibberish that ensued. (I wasn't expecting it to go this far, but well, I guess the joke's on me.) I felt in no way paralyzed by this, because I had no intention of acting on any of TW's suggestions to forcibly unplug the thing. I did the battery removal, and on the off chance it would work, the vaccuuming. Anything beyond that, I wasn't going to do, no matter what.

And as for asking my parents -- I love and respect my family, and especially my parents, more than any other human beings on this earth. I trust their judgment implicitly and consciously. If it ever came down to following TW's judgment versus my parents' judgment (a false dillemma in almost every conceivable situation), I would defer to their judgment without a moment's hesitation. The way I see it, any fundamental failings I have, they had nothing to do with. I dropped my own ball, and it's my duty to pick it up again. Nobody can do that but me.

Flyersfan
VeteranXX
Old
109 - 09-27-2008, 02:29
Quote:
I would agree with the first two (minus the "petting zoo" comment), and disagree with the second two for separate reasons.

I disagree with the characterization of this occurrence as a "life problem". My physical life is not at stake here. I have nothing to lose besides immaterial (and in many ways, replaceable) dignity from letting this thing run until morning. (I'm not letting it run any longer than that.) This is not a test of my totality as a human being. Nobody is going to come and whisk me away to jail because I didn't unplug a smoke detector, and am therefore an irredeemably pathetic waste of resources. This is a piece of circuitry, encased in plastic, malfunctioning for ostensibly electrical reasons. There's nothing more to it than that.

As for "asking the Internet", I didn't ASK TW for anything. I offered to share this little anecdote as an insipid little slice-of-life piece that we all adore, and to enjoy the meaningless gibberish that ensued. (I wasn't expecting it to go this far, but well, I guess the joke's on me.) I felt in no way paralyzed by this, because I had no intention of acting on any of TW's suggestions to forcibly unplug the thing. I did the battery removal, and on the off chance it would work, the vaccuuming. Anything beyond that, I wasn't going to do, no matter what.

And as for asking my parents -- I love and respect my family, and especially my parents, more than any other human beings on this earth. I trust their judgment implicitly and consciously. If it ever came down to following TW's judgment versus my parents' judgment (a false dillemma in almost every conceivable situation), I would defer to their judgment without a moment's hesitation. The way I see it, any fundamental failings I have, they had nothing to do with. I dropped my own ball, and it's my duty to pick it up again. Nobody can do that but me.
wall o text

Ben Reed
VeteranX
Old
110 - 09-27-2008, 02:30
As for this thread, I hope they HoF it. I'm not afraid. The way I see it, my loserdom, both real and perceived, has been an open secret since the day I started posting here. The only thing this thread has done has forced all parties involved to openly acknowledge it.

If this thread is to be an insight into who I really am, then so be it. If nothing else, I've given you kids smoke detector jokes to last until the ending of the Internet (in 2012, obviously). Make of them what you will.

Ben Reed
VeteranX
Old
111 - 09-27-2008, 02:32
Quote:
wall o text
I apologize for taxing your attention span. My verbosity naturally reflects my passion, no matter what my mood is.

Flyersfan
VeteranXX
Old
112 - 09-27-2008, 02:42
you have a god damn smoke detector going off in your apartment

jesus **** get off the internet and make it stop

why dosent your brother make it stop

if you had a pet lizard it would have killed itself by now

Ben Reed
VeteranX
Old
113 - 09-27-2008, 02:50
Quote:
you have a god damn smoke detector going off in your apartment

jesus **** get off the internet and make it stop

why dosent your brother make it stop

if you had a pet lizard it would have killed itself by now
It's just a damn smoke detector. I can choose to deal with it however I wish. The fate of my existence does not hinge on my reaction to one irritating malfunction that I can in all likelihood have resolved within six hours through the properly ordained means.

nigafool
VeteranXX
Old
114 - 09-27-2008, 02:53
Quote:
I disagree with the characterization of this occurrence as a "life problem".
of course you do

Jasper
VeteranXX
Old
115 - 09-27-2008, 03:16
Quote:
Oh, I'm sure I could do it if I wanted to. I just don't think it's worth the trouble.
Uh Ben...you OK mang?

Flyersfan
VeteranXX
Old
116 - 09-27-2008, 03:26
ben "ben reed" reed if your neighbors knocked on your door and asked you to turn your smoke detector off, what would you tell them?

GriDLoK
VeteranXV
Old
117 - 09-27-2008, 03:29
Quote:
ben "ben reed" reed if your neighbors knocked on your door and asked you to turn your smoke detector off, what would you tell them?
"hold on, let me go ask the internet!"

Ben Reed
VeteranX
Old
118 - 09-27-2008, 03:30
Well, let's see...to put it facetiously, I've been better...but I'm not sure if I've ever been much worse. But if I don't laugh at myself, others will almost certainly beat me to the punch.

But at least the smoke detector actually shut up about half an hour ago. But now, of course, I can't exactly get to sleep. So I dug out my logic textbook and now I'm working basic Aristotelian logic problems to get ready for Monday's exam. In a strange way, it's actually fairly therapeutic.

Ben Reed
VeteranX
Old
119 - 09-27-2008, 03:32
Quote:
In all honesty, if they came up and banged on the door, THAT'S the point where I'd disconnect it from the wall. I would probably have to ask for their help in order to do so, but I almost certainly would go ahead and do it. I am a very passive person, but I worry so much about offending total strangers that I would easily bow to direct personal pressure. I don't worry about inconveniencing myself nearly as much as I worry about inconveniencing others.

naptown
VeteranXV
Old
120 - 09-27-2008, 03:32
quite the friday night

smoke alarms, calling your parents asking them what to do, and Aristotelian logic problems

Page 6 of 9

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar History > TWHOF
Reload this Page So my stupid smoke detector's going off for no reason

Social Website Bullshit