ET - Quake Wars Mod: Tribal Wars

This is very exciting news. T1 is one of the most interesting and engaging games I've ever played. I understand that you need to keep the scope of work to a manageable amount of content, but I really hope that deployables, at the very least a turret, and some walls/forcefields, make it in. Sitting around building up base defenses while under relentless assault (or vice versa, assaulting said defenses built by the other team) was one of the most fun aspects of the game for me.

That's because you played some shitty mod with deployable force fields.

I played mainly Shifter, which did have many deployables. I don't consider it shitty in the slightest. I guess my preferred play style was very focused and probably not that mainstream. I enjoyed a 24/7 Broadside server (a map that basically puts two bases within 100m of each other, insanely fast action in such a fast-paced game) where in order to survive as a team you had to really coordinate your defenses, and deployable force fields and blast walls were all that kept you from losing immediately. To break through it required a concerted push by heavies with mortars, speed guys to get to the generators, etc... was a lot of fun.

Heh, all I remember from my shifter days was shield boost/mortar jumping to enemy base, destroy as much shit as possible, rinse & repeat. Fun for a few days.

Blast from the past: ET:TW by ZOD - TribalWar Forums

I actually had ZOD put in some of his advice when the mod started up along with Andrew. He hasn't had much time for it since, but I may consider getting him to consult on balancing the game play when things are feature complete.

On the subject of netcode, what was designed for Vanilla QW isn't ideal for our project and that's why we're making adjustments. It won't be an issue for much longer. You'll just have to take my word for it.

Get ZOD to help. PLS :o:

I would at least talk to ZOD. I know with the side project he started on, he decided to wait and see what Legions became... but I am pretty sure he is over that for now. Cant hurt to ask him. Very smart guy.

So you're redoing the ET:QW netcode? Awesome... I might just have to redownload the SDK and take another look at the map editor. I did promise the ET:QW community that if this Tribes mod ever did come out I'd try my hand at mapping :eek:

Original maps - especially ones created by artists who obviously are cognizant of the layout of "ski ramps" and landing positions, etc. - are very exciting. However, recreating some of the classic maps would be a welcome trip down memory lane as well. Unfortunately I'm pretty bad at names, but giving it a shot: Raindance; ...that map with two A-frame type bases separated by a long bridge (forgot name, doh); Broadside/Blastside... I'm sure you know the rest, but that would be really great :D (Not that I have any skills to offer to contribute unfortunately, except my enthusiasm and encouragement).

Thank god, I hated the netcode for QW. That was my main concern when I first heard about this project.

We're doing what we can within the framework to provide netcode that is far more optimized for the Tribes-style experience - player-driven, high speed, max precision. Thankfully, "what we can" is a hell of a lot in ETQW - it really is an extremely flexible platform for modding! Even in its very early stages the netcode shows a hell of a lot of promise - eg just a while ago on the test server I was getting solid 120fps with baby smooth movement (of both myself and the other players), even with my ping of 180. With this model there are way less problems caused by prediction error, and antilag is far, far simpler and more precise.

Last edited:
Original maps - especially ones created by artists who obviously are cognizant of the layout of "ski ramps" and landing positions, etc. - are very exciting. However, recreating some of the classic maps would be a welcome trip down memory lane as well. Unfortunately I'm pretty bad at names, but giving it a shot: Raindance; ...that map with two A-frame type bases separated by a long bridge (forgot name, doh); Broadside/Blastside... I'm sure you know the rest, but that would be really great :D (Not that I have any skills to offer to contribute unfortunately, except my enthusiasm and encouragement).
you want a trip down memory lane, you fire up tribes and play those maps. the rest of us are fucking sick of playing the same 5 maps for the past 10 years

Back