My band finally finished our EP

AniMisM

Veteran XX
For some reason the tracks aren't posting on Myspace, but you can check them out on our Facebook page here:
Rude City Riot

As always, all feedback is welcome. Negativity is actually encouraged, it makes me grow stronger!

Also, I want to plug Orestes' band, because they will melt faces with a good singer - Skooma

i listened to the first 3 tracks. i'm not really a fan of ska, but i liked your stuff. i found myself humming victoria as i went to pick up some dinner :)

Thanks guys, it seems like Victoria is becoming our most recognized song. People have started singing it at shows, which is pretty awesome. The ska scene is small here, but the fans are very supportive. :rocker:

Yea, the Kinks beat us to the title. I'm not sure if the singer (who wrote the lyrics) even realizes there's another song out there called Victoria. Not like it matters anyways, it's totally different.
Peanuts was before my time, but interesting you hear Police in that track heh.

Sounds like Rancid but with brass.
I'm huge into my ska scene (in a ska band myself) and this is pretty good. Quite generic but it's hard to go new places with ska these days anyway.
Nice job, it's cool to know there's more than one person here that likes ska.

We're still sorting out the cover art and pressing/duplication details, as well as possible online sales (it's a bitch doing this stuff without a label!). When we have everything ready I'll let you guys know. Thanks!

Let me start out by saying that the production on these tunes is tremendous. Great job. It's way more than what I'm capable of.

Victoria - The vocals could be even more in front. The EQ on his voice is weird...there's a peak at like 3500Hz or so that sounds weird and although it accomplishes the aim of getting the vocal out front and sibilant, it makes the tone kind of annoying.

The horns sound awesome. Ribbon mic? That's my guess. The guitars sound a little flat and lifeless. A little more presence would help. On this track, I could not hear the bass very well. The gang vocals were a little distant. Good dynamics across the tune.

The song lacked a hook that drew me in. Listen to more pop music: your entire song can be completely unmemorable, but if it has a hook, and one that everyone will remember, you're in business. Don't be afraid to construct a hook if you lack one.

"25 years" lacks a hook too. The first line of the chorus is almost there, but isn't bold enough. The "bang bang" prechorus almost/I] captured me. The "whoas" are almost the hook, but it doesn't slay me. Love the guitar work. Bass positively slithers, I love it. This is a song very close to being extremely cool.

"Don't Go Away" - Generic ska tune, forgettable chorus. The loud-ass gang vocals got old quick. Sounds like a Canadian drinking song. (I'm guessing that it probably is, when you guys play bars.) The bass intro lacked balls.

"Shots & Pills" - Nice work on the intro. Lame lyrics. You know, the hook on this chorus is not bad at all. Supreme horn work, but the recording of it on this tune is a little tinny & thin. This tune has potential if it were produced a little more. It seems pretty static from when it kicks in to the end - if you changed up the way it was played at the top of the song to the end, it might help the dynamic a little. (People have heard this I-IV-V before, man.) I would lop off a verse/chorus and make this into a 3 minute song.

"Rotten Monkey House" - Weird vocals at the top of the tune. Singer seems a little 1-dimensional across all the songs; he needs a better repertoire of tones. Guitars are clear as a bell, nice job. Where's the bass, once the song kicks in? And where's your kick drum? I can sort of hear it. Eminently forgettable chorus. Why is there a guitar solo? Gang vocals are tiring again. This song appears to have 3 chords. :(

Look, it's always really tempting to record the songs that get a crowd response when you play out, thinking that those are your best songs. When you get people asking for your work to listen to away from the bar, though, the songs they want for those times are the ones you should be recording.

Thanks for taking the time to listen and critique, old_skul! I agree with a lot of what you said, and I won't make any excuses. This has been a great learning experience for us, and should we stay together long enough to record a full-length album, I think it will turn out much better.

I'm just going to wait for the torrent.

You bastard!
Honestly, I wouldn't even care if it got torrented, as long as people listen to it. We're not out to make money on this one, we're just trying to get our name out there.

No problem bro. You give me unedited, straight up commentary, you deserve the same.

You guys have potential. You should record a full-length. Take your time in pre-production - that's where you make the most impact. Whitney's album should be spot on perfect, we've been doing pre-prod so long now :)

Good news: I woke up Saturday morning hung over humming your singer's melodies. That was unnerving, and somewhat annoying (my fault, not his!)

One last thing. I finally realized who your singer sounds like. He sounds like the male lead from Aqua. Seriously - go download "Barbie Girl" and have a chuckle.

I really like the stuff Ani! I have been teachin a lot of Ska lately and quite a few of my students have been surprised when I told them ska music came before reggae. Most people I think assume that ska was sped up raggae but don't realize Marley and others just slowed things down and their roots are in ska music actually.

You kept a live type feel to well produced music. I think you coulda made a few adjustments here or there but I would bet you woulda lost that live vibe you maintained if you did a lot of changes. Great job!

Sounds really good. I used to be in a ska band (High school) and it's been a while since I've rocked out to some good ska. Honestly, produced very well. It takes me back. Keep it up. As others said, I'd love to have it on a cd.

On a side note: Alvarez, I think you taught my brother guitar (at Village Music).

ooooooooooooh! Village Music!!!! I miss my old teaching room with my personal bathroom and lab sink lol!

Whats his name? It prolly was me, back when I had my long long hair and cell phone the size of a water bottle.

I just checked out your stuff Animism, and it sounds really well-produced. I don't particularly care for ska, but you guys sound like you're headed in the right direction. :]

Well produced, instruments are in sync and the vocals are often intelligent and fun. Definitely a fan of '25' (enjoyed the vocal harmonies...chorus effect made it even more catchy)

Loved the start of 'go away', but as the song went on it started to drag...was waiting for the *hit/catch* that never came. Still, decent song, just sounded too much like one big extended verse.

Same goes for 'Shots and Pills' and 'Monkey House'. All of it is quality, but the songs that caught my interest were the first two.

Congrats on the sound, I'd dance my ass off to all songs at a show, but actually be motivated to buy the first two. Well done and good luck. Who writes?

Last edited:
Back