How are rogues in PvP (Arenas/BGs/World)?

9er

Veteran X
My rogue friend quit before BC, then came back and leveled to 70 kinda late into BC (he dinged 70 about 2 months ago). His plan upon coming back was to focus on PvP. I play a mage, so I was happy about it, cause mages and rogues do pretty well in 2v2/3v3 together. Anyway, since then he's gotten a few Kara pieces (both T4, neck, feet, ring, etc.--basically everything except the Aran cloak and the Chess shoulders), and he's accumulated all the honor gear. He's combat maces, and he got the main hand S2 mace and will be getting the offhand on Tuesday.

However, within the past week he's gotten pretty frustrated with the rogue. He says rogue abilities are bugged to hell (Vanish is the only one that I remember him talking about, but I think there are others), he says being melee in PvP is horrible, and he says it seems like he can't even hurt people nowadays if they're semi-decently geared.

He's thinking about leveling up a hunter or a shadow priest (lol).

Is he right about rogues? Are they broken, or is he not doing something right? Could it be a gear issue? If anyone here plays rogues, and has extensive experience in 70 PvP, please shed some light on this. I wanna know if I should try to talk him out of rerolling.

Thanks!

Cliffs:
-friend plays a rogue
-friend says rogues are terribly broken in PvP
-is friend right?

Friend is wrong.

Rogues are good in 2v2 and 3v3 (with priest/mage or druid/mage). With the s2 maces and 250+ resil he oughta be fine with good partners. Make sure he learns how to blind 2nd targets if he isnt. :)

Just have fun.

Rogues are absolutely fine in today's Arena environments - they had some initial difficulty finding their niche but they're rock-solid now. See Tse's comment about team makeups.

If the guy feels like he can't hurt people, it's because -everybody- right now has all the arena gear if they want it. Until he gets top quality gear (t4 doesn't count), he's going to be fighting uphill battles - this is the same with any class.
Also, you may want to tell your friend to stop being a faggot combat mace rogue and spec mutilate. 5 point KS -> Find Weakness -> CB mutilate with coordinated attacks is all the killing power you'll ever need.

It's hard, for a Rogue to succeed in PvP they have to get the 1st hit and keep the target stunlocked, either that, or have a bunch of his friends covering him.

It's technical..

Combat maces is fine. :)

Just make sure he realizes he's not supposed to be 3-shotting people and oughta be sure to make interrupts his top priority on casters. It's all about keeping them stunned as best you can. The dmg comes along....

With proper use of Wound poison, Mind-numbing and/or cripple... he oughta be focused on shiv'ing that shit onto casters right away... blinding somebody else... and keeping the fucker from healing.

I do pretty well in 2v2 and 3v3 as combat mutilate. Just got a new 3v3 together and have been running with a holy/disc priest and frost mage. Going pretty well so far. Not sure if I want to try combat maces or not. Coordinating a well timed imp kidney shot + cb mutilate and mage shatter combo is just lovely.

Tell your friend to get some resilience. before i stopped playing my rogue about a month ago i was at 100 resilience... it hurt.

then finally i had enough points to get some gear. i got arena off hand season 2 shoulders season two mask. season 1 pants. BG blue gloves and chest.. i also have every single pvp epic but for the vet ring.

i noticed a big big differnce. i could dps down two magic classes with ease and not feel the same stress i did before my i got my res.

Rogues are a very tech class to play. you cant sit at a far doing dps like you can on a mage or a hunter. so you have to make what you do count.

ive played a rogue too long. so i am more into my hunter now. just make sure your friend has about 250 res before he says about the class is broken in pvp.. only thing i have problems with on my rogue are hunters but i guess that can be expected... :(

lawl, just hunters? I don't think rogues are gimp, but in 1v1, they aren't too hot. Pretty much can't win against fel guard locks, frost mages, arms warrs, resto shams, hunters, and feral druids. Of course, this isn't 100% true depending on what spec you are (hemo can usually beat warrs decently, for instance).

Yeah, he's sitting at about 100 resilience at the moment.

Personally, I think he's just not being patient enough. It takes anyone starting from scratch quite a while to get some good teams going, save up arena points, farm honor, etc. I think he expected to be able to jump in late and have it be like he didn't miss anything.

a pimped out kara rogue will get beat by a rogue in blues with resilence any day. Resil and stam is key in in arena/pvp/duel, thats about it.

a pimped out kara rogue will get beat by a rogue in blues with resilence any day. Resil and stam is key in in arena/pvp/duel, thats about it.

:nuts:

Yea... cuz arena/pvp/duels are only a tiny part of pvp! A rogue in BT gear will also rape you if they are in a pve spec. So? It's irrelevant.

This way of thinking is precisely why a lot of players struggle to get beyond 1600s arena. They think they are still playing like a raiding class and trying to insta-kill people.

In 3v3 particularly, the rogue isnt just about going up and destroying somebody quickly. It's often more important that they just lock the player(s) down, keep interrupts going and generally help the team control the situation. Shiv on mind-numb or wound.

It's not about uber-DPSing in 10s.

Last edited:
whatever he does, don't ever let him reroll to hunter.

Pvp, sucks nowadays. Me going with Bm specc 13k hp and 220 resi i'm doing fine tho, but everytime a healer familiar with los kiting/healing comes your way, it gets frustrating.

Rerolled to mage, just doing the hunter in pvp 2v2 etc. The mage is far more fun, somehow more appealing. Not only because its easier (probably is) but if you manage to keep 2-3 people occupied its far more fun. I think there is more space to grow on skillwise with mage than with hunter.

anyways, what was the question?

rogue, oh yeah, don't know about htem im bc tho...

Back