Click Here to find great hosting deals from Branzone.com

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > TW Fitness
Reload this Page working out legs with knee problems
Goshin
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
1 - 01-13-2010, 07:50 PM
alright so i used to squat 5x5s ending at ~170. Doing so netted a result in my knees hurting on the push up. I laid off for a year, still the same pain, not as intense.
i went from never squating to doing ~170 reps on the 5x5 in 2 months. So, i essentially doubled my squatting reps (from ~60 to ~170). Probably (did) have a bad form since i never had done before.

Anyway, what's a good thing to do to still build up my legs? I'm working out again using dumb bells and even 50lb in each hand with a lunge or a squat form proper brings a memory and a very slight feeling of the pain i had. It was on the inside of the knee on the bone, both legs, more so on left.

eliptical is working well, just wondering if there is anything else i could do. Assume no machines, just dumb bells and treadmills, bikes, elipitcals

Sponsored Links
BeLiaL
VeteranXV
Old
2 - 01-14-2010, 12:07 AM
just fyi, if you ever squat again, go below parallel

Denver
VeteranX
Old
3 - 01-14-2010, 05:23 AM
kettlebells.

Goshin
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
4 - 01-14-2010, 01:04 PM
i was going below parallel, none of that barely bend knee crap
i know i was rocking on my heels though occasionally, and sometimes felt the weight in my toes rather than my heels

i'll look at kettlebells

kettlebell just looks like an more easily managed dumb bell? so it would still require i do the squat motion and the motion is what hurts my knees

confidential
VeteranX
Old
5 - 01-14-2010, 01:07 PM
if you do want to squat again, buy some converse shoes and try in them. also check out the starting strength book:

Starting Strength

starts around page 17 and ~50 pages on anything you would ever want to know about squatting

Goshin
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
6 - 01-14-2010, 01:20 PM
i would love to squat again
i dont want to completely destroy my knees though
i'll take a look

Goshin
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
7 - 01-14-2010, 04:38 PM
dudes, playing in the snow and rolling up 4 ft snowball bases = workout
i'm sweaty and my legs and back are feelin it

heeellls ya

CjBurden
VeteranXV
Old
8 - 01-15-2010, 12:34 AM
I have issues with squatting too. I have terrible joints in general. every time I do the motion of a squat with no weight at all, my knees pop or crack or whatever. When I was doing it with weight I'd experience sharp stabbing pains in both of them.

I'm trying to see if just really gradually working my way up from squatting maybe 50 pounds and increasing maybe 10 pounds a week or so will help. I doubt it but I feel like at this point its my only option.

Bojangles
Veteran++
Old
9 - 01-15-2010, 12:43 AM
Any of you guys with joint pain take fish oil supplements? A large number of people with terrible joint pain report great success with higher doses (+10g) IIRC.

Sensi
VeteranX
Old
10 - 01-15-2010, 03:05 AM
I have chronic patellar tendonitis in my left knee, it ****ing blows, trust me on this one. Patella bands really help with knee problems, especially for weightlifting. I can no longer squat, but I can however leg press, do extensions, and hamstring work as well. The key is always forcing the weight onto your heels, which you should be doing anyways. Doing this takes pretty much all the force off of your knees. After you workout, ice, biofreeze, repeat

Velocity
VeteranXV
Old
11 - 01-15-2010, 06:38 AM
I used to have knee problems also, then I read about people with similar problems who started squatting and their knee problems went away entirely. About two months after I started squatting I had intense knee pain that didn't go away even after a two week break. I became terrified that squatting messed my knees up permanently. The pain eventually faded, however.

The whole time I was squatting I was 100% focused on good form, but when you're a beginner it's really easy to convince yourself you have good form when you don't. I read up a bunch and realized that although I had good form on the warmups, when I did a rep with full weight I was leaning forward slightly (my knees were not directly over my toes) and also slightly turning my knees in.

I wanted to do squats again so I started from scratch. I did 3 sets a day with just body weight for a few weeks to build proper form. It's a lot easier to focus on form when you don't have 200 lbs on your back. I also video taped myself to compare with Starting Strength etc. When I started squatting with weight again, I increased the weight much more conservatively than before so I wouldn't overload and fall back on poor form.

I haven't experienced any problems since I started using weights again, and my knees have gotten way better and never hurt now. I am convinced a lot of the time when people have pain squatting it's due to bad form, although everybody's different.

I'm glad I didn't give up on squats as they really are the best exercise you can do.

Goshin
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
12 - 01-15-2010, 04:03 PM
good story thanks
i'll have to read starting strength and figure some stuff out

Sensi
VeteranX
Old
13 - 01-15-2010, 06:21 PM
Glucosamine is the best joint supplement you can take, wheter you wok out or not it can do wonders

Goshin
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
14 - 01-16-2010, 09:38 AM
great to know
i've had joint issues for a few years now in my shoulders, elbows, and knees due to swimming and stuff. I'll check that out as well!

xpdnc
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
15 - 01-17-2010, 12:51 PM
If your knees hurt while squatting, you're doing it wrong.

My story is pretty similar to Velocity's.

A year ago I could barely squat 120 lbs. I hurt both my knees (PFS) and decided to build up the muscles around them. Using Starting Strength to find the proper form and Stronglifts.com method of building up from the empty bar and adding 5 lbs a workout, I managed to reach 225 lbs as a max. It's not great, but compared to what I did before the knee injuries, it's pretty amazing.

Even though it had been 3 months since I'd been to the gym, I did a few sets of 185 lbs last week and had no knee issues.

Goshin
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
16 - 01-21-2010, 06:02 PM
reading starting strength on squats
looks like i was doing my quads only with partial squats or something, and that seems to be the basis of my problem
curling my toes up should help. I'll also be using significantly less weight for a while (having dumb bells only for now)

so, we'll see! Still reading to see if i can figure out the best way to 'stick my butt out'.

confidential
VeteranX
Old
17 - 01-21-2010, 06:05 PM
no you dumb **** don't use dumbbells use barbell

this videomight help:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yha2XAc2qu8

do a search for rippetoe squat you'll find a bunch of videos

Goshin
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
18 - 01-21-2010, 06:08 PM
dont got no barbell

confidential
VeteranX
Old
19 - 01-21-2010, 06:10 PM
huh

you're not at a gym? join a gym then

Goshin
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
20 - 01-21-2010, 06:15 PM
i've got a dumb bell gym thing at my condo
bench and dumb bells
no barbells
its free and i think i would go to the gym (i know i wouldnt)

sooo theres that

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > TW Fitness
Reload this Page working out legs with knee problems

Social Website Bullshit

Tags
goshin , goshin is unhappy irl