looking at getting an apartment with a roommate

WildKnight

Veteran XV
what are peoples experiances with this. i am looking at a nice place and got 2 people wanting to be my roommate (just taking one roommate)

should their name be on the lease? or no. and also should i notorize a document stating we will each pay our respective amounts every month?

i don't want to get screwed over because this is my first time ever having a roommate

If possible, see how your potential roomie lives BEFORE you let them in. If they are a total slob, just say no.

But really, how many times have you heard a good roommate story?

If there was no such thing as a good roommate, that would mean you're a shitty rommate too.

I haven't had any roommate problems apart from the general annoyances you have to deal with when you live with somebody else.

It's really not that hard to make sure you don't move in with somebody who is either sketchy or has sketchy friends.

damnit, i just typed up this whole thing and bunch of reasons not to and accidently hit the back button on my mouse

heres cliffs

don't do it
get your own place alone (if you can't afford to, stay w/ your parents).

All depends on how well you know/trust the person. I've known my roomate for years so both our names on the lease wasnt an issue for us.

If there was no such thing as a good roommate, that would mean you're a shitty rommate too.

This is a fair point. In my experience, the people who complain the most about roommates are shitty roommates themselves and have unreasonable demands of others.

Room with a girl...girl roomates are the best, even if u arnt fucking them. Her friends will crash there when they are completley sloshed...which makes for an easy BJ

Also, I'd never move in with somebody who wants just his name on the lease. That's a tremendous indication that he's an asshole. I don't want asshole roommates.

i am tired of staying with parents. and i could afford a 1br place but i would have about 30 bucks a month spending month. and i am not cool with that.

i am normally a good judge of people so i hope i won't get screwed over. but i am at the age range where people tend not to be fucking slobs.

and i work soo much i might not ever see the roommate for more than an hour a day

Keep their names off of the lease. That way you can boot them if need be. Have a notorized document stating how much they pay in security deposit/rent each month in case you need to go to court.

Go for a place you can afford on your own.
You do not want to be stuck in a situation where you are dependant on someone you really do not know being able to pay on time.

I have two roomates and have never had a problem.

I don't know why all TWers have such problems with roomates. Maybe it has something to do with a lack of social skills.

Back