Rogue builds

Tse honestly if you want to level quickly and alone, go combat fists. There simply is no other spec that lets you mash through elites, multiple enemies, lack of positioning and save your ass as much as it does. Depending on his honor, the lvl 60 HWL fist will roxor your boxers right through to 67-68 and you can use it up to 70 no problem. You'll also poop-push everyone pre-70 that you run into as well. I went SF Combat Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft because I love CB and wanted more points in Ass. pre-70 but you can spec right down as well.

Just my .02.

is combat with swords/maces still the best 1-60 leveling?

I've always gone the first 5 in malice, then all combat to 60. It was always just first instinct, so i never even considered assas/subt specs for leveling - does anyone ever level with those specs? I'd prefer to do something different, but if combat is still just purely the best leveling build i guess i'll keep doing my thing

People say a lot of dagger/fist combat, so I just looked at the talent builds and drew up this one mainly in instinct.

0/45/16

I guess you could call it a combo levelling/ganking build. I havent' touched my rogue in ages (her gear is still primarily DM/UBRS blues with a couple of green daggers) but just threw it together on impulse based on how I preferred to play as a rogue.

Hindsight I missed on Imp Kick and I'll probably be flamed for not taking 5/5 Malice but meh. I always get the feeling you can do more with the rogue trees in terms of playing style than you could versus other talent trees. But again I haven't rogue'd in the better part of 4 - 6 months.

Last edited:
Uhhh...your instincts are horrible. You know you're dumb for passing up malice, but how you can not have Imp. Backstab as a non-assassination dagger build is just baffling.

Tse honestly if you want to level quickly and alone, go combat fists. There simply is no other spec that lets you mash through elites, multiple enemies, lack of positioning and save your ass as much as it does. Depending on his honor, the lvl 60 HWL fist will roxor your boxers right through to 67-68 and you can use it up to 70 no problem. You'll also poop-push everyone pre-70 that you run into as well. I went SF Combat Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft because I love CB and wanted more points in Ass. pre-70 but you can spec right down as well.

Just my .02.

Well, im not about to stop and grnid honor tho for a fist weap :(

That's my main problem. I have CRAP gear on this guy. Green goblin with some blues from the 40s and early 50s.

What about something like this and then points in Blade Twisting or such? Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft

Last edited:
Uhhh...your instincts are horrible. You know you're dumb for passing up malice, but how you can not have Imp. Backstab as a non-assassination dagger build is just baffling.

All depends on how you play. I usually don't lean to the massive DPS side since I never raided as a rogue so I never had to drool over DPS meters and such. And, as I've already noted, I have crap daggers on that old rogue and lest I recall with rogues to push a build to the limit you need some pretty top-end weapons, which I at present have no intention of getting.

Again it was more non-positional, Imp. Backstab assumes you have to stay behind the target pretty much at all times, something that's not always doable when solo'ing. Yeah you can do the whole Gouge/move manuver, but there's always chances mobs will block it or you'll miss.

And lastly, as I have seen, there's very few hybrid builds. Everyone here seems to either goes full PvP/ganking or full PvE/raiding. Is the reason for that is because you're so consumed with DPS efficiency you simply cannot go without a certain talent and you're basically "locked" into using it?

Well, im not about to stop and grnid honor tho for a fist weap :(

That's my main problem. I have CRAP gear on this guy. Green goblin with some blues from the 40s and early 50s.

What about something like this and then points in Blade Twisting or such? Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft

Even with lvl 58 green fists you will out-perform that build simply by sexy crits alone. They dont have to be HWL, and at 66 you can buy the Void Talon set, but the 5% crit is key and will make things MUCH easier.

Even with lvl 58 green fists you will out-perform that build simply by sexy crits alone. They dont have to be HWL, and at 66 you can buy the Void Talon set, but the 5% crit is key and will make things MUCH easier.

yea, well, i dont see lvl 58 fists sitting around unless you know some secret spot :)

how about 30-31-0 approach in the meantime, using swords? i have no clue...

edit: found some fists on ah... weeee

Last edited:
yea, well, i dont see lvl 58 fists laying around :)

how about 30-31-0 approach in the meantime, using swords? i have no clue...

Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft

Would work better for swords. I personally don't like them but there are a lot of Q58 swords in Hellfire you can get pretty easily. Quick Recovery is IMO a must-have, as is a weapon spec. Make sure to use your cooldowns as much as possible, and blade flurry is the best skill possible PVE.

Of the four weapon specs, how often do Maces/Swords proc with those talents? Fist and Daggers are simply +%crit, which can easily stack with stats, gear, etc. but do the other two proc enough to be worth it?

Does Quick Recovery work with bandages too? I can easily see how useful the second part can be (80% energy back from failed combos).

Of the four weapon specs, how often do Maces/Swords proc with those talents? Fist and Daggers are simply +%crit, which can easily stack with stats, gear, etc. but do the other two proc enough to be worth it?

Does Quick Recovery work with bandages too? I can easily see how useful the second part can be (80% energy back from failed combos).

Yes and yes.

Edit - Well swords are tricky. Currently the best sword combo in the game is Talon of Azshara + Latros, however, it barely beats combat fists (Gladiator + searing sunblade or gladiator shiv). Leveling I went combat swords because I had an AQR/CTS, but I just vendored the CTS and used a Maex Fang in the offhand for the speed (I started 11/40 - dropping my point from 61 into SA). So I didn't even care about sword procs too much, but it did occur. The way the spec works right now is that it can proc off of your offhand, but the extra attack doesn't happen off of the OH...it happens on the MH, which is what makes a 1.4 speed blue sword better than a gladiator's for an offhand in raiding.

Last edited:
Yes and yes.

Edit - Well swords are tricky. Currently the best sword combo in the game is Talon of Azshara + Latros, however, it barely beats combat fists (Gladiator + searing sunblade or gladiator shiv). Leveling I went combat swords because I had an AQR/CTS, but I just vendored the CTS and used a Maex Fang in the offhand for the speed (I started 11/40 - dropping my point from 61 into SA). So I didn't even care about sword procs too much, but it did occur. The way the spec works right now is that it can proc off of your offhand, but the extra attack doesn't happen off of the OH...it happens on the MH, which is what makes a 1.4 speed blue sword better than a gladiator's for an offhand in raiding.

So basically the Sword Spec talent will only proc off a MH blade, and even if there's an OF blade it would never proc the Sword Spec?

So basically the Sword Spec talent will only proc off a MH blade, and even if there's an OF blade it would never proc the Sword Spec?

No. The offhand can proc the spec, but the attack will come from the mainhand.

For instance, your main hand hits (no proc) your offhand hits and sword spec procs - when it procs your main hand will then hit again. The offhand can proc it, but the extra attack will then generate from the mainhand sword.

I looked pretty hard at Blade Twisting, and honestly I can't think of any real PvE/solo'ing applications for it. What's it do, give some of your CP-generating moves a chance to Daze a target for 8 seconds? Dazed is simply -50% movement speed, and nothing else. No loss to attack speed, no stunning, just slower movement speed. Solo'ing you have plenty of stuff to do that, mainly crippling poison and even if that doesn't proc before a mob runs you could move likely get in a quick KS to stop them. Even in a group there's plenty of other stuff to do that as well, mage's frost spells, hunter's concussion shot, warrior's hamstring, etc. Only thing I can think of for Blade Twisting is PvP, and even then I'm not real sure how valid it would be.

Back