Marweas still hasnt told us about getting fired

Tribes 2 and Planetside...have you always been a masochist, or did working in the game industry give you the taste for pain?

Real question, not trying to bash you or anything, but did T2 really run on your P2 400 voodoo3 3k, or was that one of those 'tow the company line' thing?

I played T2 for about a year with a P2 400 and a Nvidia TNT 16 meg. I had a Voodoo Banshee but it wouldn't render properly thus the TNT. It ran like crap (20 fps max), but it ran.

Planetside wasn't bad during beta. Being able to capture towers/bases from the back while there was a huge battle at some ambiguous front absolutely rocked.

Anywho, thank you for taking the time to answer TW's questions gents. Much obliged.

I present to you:

Marketing Rocket Science Theater

QUESTION: Do you think that if VUG supported IGA to make at least 3-4 patches that fixed bugs and gameplay problems, do you think T:V would have been more of a success?

(BECAUSE I CERTAINLY DO, AND DESPITE T:V "sucking" I KNOW A LOT OF PEOPLE THAT LEFT BECAUSE OF NO PATCH)
No. I think it was officially dead when I went to LA and had the following conversation with the VP of marketing:

Thrax: Can we slide into Q1 so that we're not up against Doom 3, HL2, WoW, the UT 2004, and Halo 2?

Marketing VP: No, we need the Q4 revenue.

Thrax: Then what are we going to do to pump up the marketing for T:V

Marketing VP: We're not going to spend anything on TV, it's going to get eaten alive by all those other titles!

I present to you:

Marketing Rocket Science Theater

No. I think it was officially dead when I went to LA and had the following conversation with the VP of marketing:

Thrax: Can we slide into Q1 so that we're not up against Doom 3, HL2, WoW, the UT 2004, and Halo 2?

Marketing VP: No, we need the Q4 revenue.

Thrax: Then what are we going to do to pump up the marketing for T:V

Marketing VP: We're not going to spend anything on TV, it's going to get eaten alive by all those other titles!

Hopefully that Marketing Veep is living under the freeway system in a large box.

heh. If I said it ran on a certain video card, it's because it really did run on that card in our office. I've never lied about compatibility. I would rather that those issues are known so that people aren't knocking their brain against a wall in annoyance.

T2 & PlanetSide...of course they are similar. I was laid off from Dyanmix for a total of 1.5 weeks before SOE called me and asked me to take over PlanetSide and keep it from cancellation. The lead designer on that team loved Tribes and I was extremely familiar with it...so yeah...lots of that stuff bled into the revamp of PS.

As for being a masochist...yeah, I suppose. But I love this kind of fast-action, squad-based tactical twitch game, and I'd keep making them forever if publishers would give me the cash.

This thread is really cool. I like it. I can't believe reggs made it.

One thing I wouldn't mind knowing from Qix/Thrax, is that originally, and we've all seen a screenshot, there was something (Extreme?) developed on basically the t1 engine with better graphics. It kind of looked like the t2 desert map, or one of them at least, but with the t1 style to it. What happened there? Why the change of engine and all that eventually accompanied it? Ultimately, learning what worked and what didn't and how to adjust that engine to achieve the similar gameplay really slowed t2 down. Most people who tried classic really enjoyed it, it just took so long to get there

Did I make mistakes with T2? Yup. I did learn the lesson of "when making a sequel, make it pretty, but don't change the original". Unfortunately, I learned that the hard way. However, I agree with you now. (NOTE: I still would have improved the vehicles and some of the user interfaces, and some of the maps would have had to still be larger to accomodate the vehicles. Oh yeah...and I really liked the "Siege" game mode that we added, even if it was always a minority-share game. So, okay...I would have changed it in some ways...but leaving the core gameplay & physics strictly alone.)

Dave, that took a lot of balls to say and I want to thank you. This statement alone is vindication to everyone who has been saying this for years now.

heh. If I said it ran on a certain video card, it's because it really did run on that card in our office. I've never lied about compatibility. I would rather that those issues are known so that people aren't knocking their brain against a wall in annoyance.

T2 & PlanetSide...of course they are similar. I was laid off from Dyanmix for a total of 1.5 weeks before SOE called me and asked me to take over PlanetSide and keep it from cancellation. The lead designer on that team loved Tribes and I was extremely familiar with it...so yeah...lots of that stuff bled into the revamp of PS.

As for being a masochist...yeah, I suppose. But I love this kind of fast-action, squad-based tactical twitch game, and I'd keep making them forever if publishers would give me the cash.
Please, do. I loved T2, in all of its bittersweet glory. It was really the first game that pulled me to PC gaming. I had played some of Tribes, but I didn't really pick up on it; I was just too unfamiliar with it all at the time. Tribes 2 consumed my every moment out of school for a good two years, before I even began to tire of it, and I still play it to this day. I can name only a handful of other games that still have that kind of appeal for me, and only one of them is for the PC.

I liked planetside, mostly in the beta, a few of the patches just before launch really pushed me away from it, but mostly I was unable to afford playing it, and now it is beyond its prime, and I know nobody who plays it, so it wouldn't really entertain me.

Back