thinking about a warlock. good idea?

Nail Bomb

Banned
i finally have my mage to 60 and i yet i get owned by locks. i've played my gf's shadow priest and have been told that they are just a "nerfed warlock"

every freaking time i meet a warlock in pvp this happens. FEAR dot dot dot FEAR shadow bolt death coil.. bam i am dead. It seems really easy..

I also was told that in the exp pack locks are going to the first to get nerfed.

would leveling a lock and going from mage to warlock be a good idea? also any tips or hints as i level a lock would be great.

that was my first choice but my girlfriend has a preist. so i get to play one whenever i want. I also wanted to make something that works with her best in shadow form and warlock was the best thing i could think of.

warlocks have some incredibly massive buffs in TBC (damage wise)

getting to 60 and getting FEAR FEAR FEAR was bad enough. Then i read the damage buffs they got and that settled it for me. I am just curious if i can get my warlock to 60 and finish my warrior (level 38 now) before the exp comes out :mecry:

Keep in mind you may have been competing with a warlock in full tier 2 / partial tier 3 - if you are a new 60 mage, you will lose.

That said, I can pretty much destroy anything but undead priests in 1vs1 pvp. I'm considering rolling one just to understand that class better.

To answer your actual question, roll a lock if you want. We are pretty easy to level with (little to no downtime), and are needed by a lot of raiding guilds. However, mages / rogues / fury warriors can out dps us in most raids - I finish in the top 5 for bwl, but that has a lot to do with my build and my gear.

are you horde? UD warlock is fun to level

if you spec SM/ruin for leveling, between dark pact (ONLY good for leveling imo, might be better in the xpack but i didn't read any theorycraft math numbers on it) and lifetap + cannibalize you will seriously have 0 downtime

Keep in mind you may have been competing with a warlock in full tier 2 / partial tier 3 - if you are a new 60 mage, you will lose.

That said, I can pretty much destroy anything but undead priests in 1vs1 pvp. I'm considering rolling one just to understand that class better.

To answer your actual question, roll a lock if you want. We are pretty easy to level with (little to no downtime), and are needed by a lot of raiding guilds. However, mages / rogues / fury warriors can out dps us in most raids - I finish in the top 5 for bwl, but that has a lot to do with my build and my gear.

I saw the shadow flame staff on his back and i saw his t3 shoulders. So i know i was major our geared. The way he fought me and moved about i knew he had no clue what he was doing. As i ice blocked to get out of his death coil he must of casted fear 4 or 5 times.

The main incident that upsets me was in was in slith getting ready to farm a little bit (i was 60 at this time) As i was walking down the path i saw a 58 undead warlock running up the path. i got off my mechinal chicken and put my ice barrier up to let her know i wanted a fight.

She casted fear on me. put up her dots then let the duration of the fear run. Then she kept casting fear over and over keeping me in a loop of fear. I ice blocked out of it and used my pvp trinket but she kept doing it over and over and over. It was one of the most frustrating things ever. The idea of a damage over time spell ticking on your enemy as they run helpless in a fear spell is just looking more and more appealing to me.

now i understand how to use death coil. My best friend is a lock and he's explained to me its spell for a defensive approach. Tons and tons of noob locks open with death coil.. Where as he explained to me it should be used if say you were fighting a rogue and he managed to turn the tables on you. you could death coil him get back some hp and take his down even more.

i started my warlock when i made this post and i am at level 13 already. the rate at i am leveling is damn fun so this should be good.

locks pwn everyone, i have a 60 and 29 twink lock and no one can touch me except maybe lucky rogues. of course it depends on how you play them.

General concensus is locks are pretty much dominate most people 1v1 unless they are deplorably geared or the opposition is not only well-geared but knows how locks work. Ganking/1v1 locks are hard to beat, but likewise you have to know how the class plays to make the most of it.

Warlocks are downright overpowered 1v1. In group PVP they're a little less overwhelming. Expect them to shine in the smaller arena teams and probably not even get a spot in the bigger group teams. If you're only interested in raiding rolling a warlock might not be the greatest idea because you're competing for basically one spot in a 25 man raid against people who've been playing the class longer. Obviously gear isn't going to be a huge obstacle but most guilds will probably take the oldschool warlock with instead of picking up a new one.

For solo and smaller group stuff though they're pretty fun. The huge array of tools gives you a huge chance to shine as a skilled player in a small group atmosphere, instead of just being the 'drop imp here, stand back and nuke' guy of current raids.

The final rank of pet skills like the succubus detaunt and voidwalker taunt attack speed debuff and chance to hit debuff respectively might actually allow us to use different pets in groups as well, as those abilities in certain situations are going to mitigate enough damage for the tank to want them instead of just having a bigger health pool as a buffer for the healers. Especially with the new +health shout, bigger fort, and more stamina in general from items. If that all works as planned and we get a chance to use all our skills for a change, then I'm personally pretty excited about it.

actually theyre overpowered in group pvp too... their (afflic locks) total dps on a crowd of targets surpases the most decked out melee classes 3x.

and guess what, blizzard is buffing them AND +spell damage in BC :lol:

once again, i want to note i have 2 locks, making a 3rd :p:

Warlocks beat the shit out of anything provided they are prepared (read: have the right pet out in advance). This is what makes them dueling gods. If they don't have the right pet out for the job, they get rolled.

They are still beasts in group pvp. A warlock can apply more damage to the battlefield than any other class - he can spit out nukes as hard as a mages while his dots are ticking on tons of people, then lifetap, get a heal over time, and have the mana to do it all over again.

Warlocks have tons of little stupid class issues, many of which are being streamlined in the expansion (i.e. removal of soul shards from two of their common pvp spells). Pet AI is garbage and doing something like jumping off a ledge in warsong results in the pet taking the long way around, potentially despawning if it gets too far.

The class is also the squishiest in the game unless you're soul link specced. Your armor buff costs roughly one third of your mana (fun to cast it each time you res, drink for ten seconds, and THEN play). If you don't cast it because you're tired of drinking, melee classes will eat you alive. All of a warlock's defenses either take the form of CC, a purgable shield, or the bandaid-fix once-every-two-minutes skillcoil, as farty so elequently called it. Playing against undead as a warlock is a massive pain in the ass.

The class is pretty fun to play but everything has its ups and downs. I'd suggest you find a friend with a warlock who wil let you play it before you reroll, to get a feel for the class and help yourself judge if you actually want to.

With good gear, it doesn't matter if a lock opens with deathcoil, because you'll be dead before diminishing returns or anything even kicks in.

The only way to counter as a mage is to ice block cold snap ice block fear trinket (and hope they don't have felhunter out) ^_^

Back