Cruiser or Battle cruiser?

Wrathchild

Veteran XV
I've been in the game for almost all of my 14 day trial now - definantly going to subscribe. I spent a day or two in the newbie Ibis, about 2 days in a Bantam, and the rest of the time in my Merlin.

Now I'm itching for a new ship, have almost 12 million ISK, and will have all the skills needed to pilot and arm a Caracel done tonight. But now I'm wondering if I shouldn't just save up for a Ferox.

I don't think the Caracel will be much use in 0.0 sec space, and I'm pretty bored of high sec space. Although a Caracel would allow me to move up to level 2 missions, I would really like to get out to join the corp and help with the mining ops.

My only concern is if making the jump from a Merlin to a Ferox is too much. I don't want to get my shiny new ship into some trouble that I can't get out of because I got overwhelmed with all the new gadgets I can (and must) mount on this beast.

Also, there's the issue of waiting - I can afford to buy and outfit a Caracel and be cruising in it tomorrow, but there's quite a price jump in both the ship and equipment for a Ferox... what do you think?

WrathChild said:
I've been in the game for almost all of my 14 day trial now - definantly going to subscribe. I spent a day or two in the newbie Ibis, about 2 days in a Bantam, and the rest of the time in my Merlin.

Now I'm itching for a new ship, have almost 12 million ISK, and will have all the skills needed to pilot and arm a Caracel done tonight. But now I'm wondering if I shouldn't just save up for a Ferox.

I don't think the Caracel will be much use in 0.0 sec space, and I'm pretty bored of high sec space. Although a Caracel would allow me to move up to level 2 missions, I would really like to get out to join the corp and help with the mining ops.

My only concern is if making the jump from a Merlin to a Ferox is too much. I don't want to get my shiny new ship into some trouble that I can't get out of because I got overwhelmed with all the new gadgets I can (and must) mount on this beast.

Also, there's the issue of waiting - I can afford to buy and outfit a Caracel and be cruising in it tomorrow, but there's quite a price jump in both the ship and equipment for a Ferox... what do you think?

Another thing to consider is that sure you can save up for a Ferox and 'think' you can survive in 0.0 space...but unfortunately the enemy guys in 0.0 space seem to be idiots (no offense to anyone here) who have been playing a long time with lots of skills that give them huge advantages (not to mention them being in amazing ships that some of us might be able to get into in a few weeks but not now).

Frankly if I were you I'd get the Cruiser and help out in low sec space by putting mining lasers on it and doing that (since you are bored with high sec space). I'm sure the guys there would love to have you helping getting ore.

Another thing to remember is that it's not like you would lose ALL the money on buying the Caracel...you could always sell it for 75% or so of what you paid for it later on.

...my 2 cents.

/\ what duck said. out here, it doesnt matter what ship you get, someone DOES have something better and lately they are all looking to fuck us up.

so think about the long run, but while being productive in the short :)

Depends on what yo want to do.

Mining you can be the caldari cruiser... cant remember...that has 20% to mining yield per cruiser level.

If you need to make money NOW, do missoins. For those, you need a destroyer and a tiny bit of patience.

If you want to be a help, power level straight to Battle Ships. Dont worry about equipment or anything. We need big ships, be they miners or for defense.

Battle cruisers are nice and you can jump in one fairly quickly after frigate 4 (cruiser 4 takes 6-7 days on most char's, OUCH, and that's needed for BS's). Im not up to snuff on other races BC's besides gallente's (they suck). But do some research, and if they're viable, go for them. Equipment will come later.

As you're doing that, whore some missions with a destroyer. Cause frankly, I know you got dick and squat for money unless you been haulin' like a hooch and 0.0 space is starved for cash unless you got peeps to back you up.

You are not much use in Ferox until you have done more skill training, it takes sometime to be good with caracal too. You dont want to lose your BC because you had crap skills for it.

Destroyers are the ships you can skip easily. Maybe T2 destroyers will have some use.

Back