Thrax: Where's the masses?

Wulfen

Veteran XV
I'd like you to come in here and apologize for gutting this game and putting a knife into the collective community.

I know you won't do it, but you deserve it for this shitball you released. A lot of people waited years for this and as soon as you got it released you skipped town. I've known others that even after they lost their jobs stuck by their game. Now a lot of people are waiting and hoping the SS2845 crew can save some of this.

Both you and Marweas were responsible for this, and as soon as it came out you distanced yourself from it and all its' problems.

Fuck you for not making the game you should have.

What do you think they could have done to save the game after getting layed off?

Btw didn't Marweas go to GameWeasels? What could have he done for T:V when he's working for a company that's practically a rival of VUG (or at least part thereof)?

Amadeu5 said:
What do you think they could have done to save the game after getting layed off?

Btw didn't Marweas go to GameWeasels? What could have he done for T:V when he's working for a company that's practically a rival of VUG (or at least part thereof)?

It was a frustration post. I just can't seem to get over the fact that I've waited like 3-4 years for a game to rival or surpass T1, and neither sequel has done so. Eventually I'll stop gaming altogether, but until then I'd hate to think that the highlight of gaming was 1999. : \

And to answer your question. They could have saved the game by making it right in the first place.

For once we sorta agree, Wulfen.

I wouldn't quite be so harsh, but I do think that Thrax was in the wrong position.
Too many design desisions were based on his own opinion, rather than what people wanted to see. I get that they were aiming for a mass market and thus had to take some steps to make it more palitable to casual gamers (which is sure to annoy the living crap outta long time Tribers), but certain elements just didn't need to be dropped.

The command screen
Good vehicles
A desent melee weapon
Carving
The Targeting laser
etc.

These things are sorely missed and many of them seem to be victems of Thrax's opinion rather than techical challanges.

That said... you all know I'm still havin fun with this game anyway. I enjoy it despite these things, but that doesn't mean I don't lament that it could have been so much more.

Wulfen said:
I meant Tribes in general. The focus has shifted from T:V to SS2845, IMO.

Its a mech game not a tribes game, you stupid twat.

Maybe if you were playing tv instead of whinging like a bitch - or fucked off and gone played something else there wouldnt be a problem?

tv is good and fun on its own its just different and your a loser who cant adapt.

:sex:

WerTicus said:
Its a mech game not a tribes game, you stupid twat.

Maybe if you were playing tv instead of whinging like a bitch - or fucked off and gone played something else there wouldnt be a problem?

tv is good and fun on its own its just different and your a loser who cant adapt.

:sex:

My assumption is this: Wulfen MEANT that SS2845 is the hope of a continuation of the Tribes series, with an updated version of the engine which was pretty much designed for the series (Torque) and its notoriously easy moddability. Therefore, it stands to reason that if the tools are available, the disenfranchised part of the community will be able to shape a new Tribes game out of what SS2845 provides. The rest will stick with T:V or some other game.

TV is a great game.

Thanks for shopping VUG though. I do blame alot of people but where is Chris? Where is this legend we all gazed at during press conferences? At TW West? Someone tell me where the real meat of this game and its direction are.

He is right, but even with all that, this game is a blast. Try playing it without the whole "I need a 12 step program to get over my addiction to a game that is 6 years old" attitude.

Actually try playing it sometime. We all are.

|CO|Kapeket!! said:
TV is a great game.

Try playing it without the whole "I need a 12 step program to get over my addiction to a game that is 6 years old" attitude.

Actually try playing it sometime. We all are.

:signed:

The game is fun on its own. It's never quite grabbed my interest to get better in all parts of the game like the first Tribes did, but at least I can jump in and play the role I'm best at, knowing that if I throw enough firepower into the right places, my team can win.

As mentioned, there was always a desire for me to be better than I used to be in Tribes. Every day I would learn how to fight an almost entirely different way and end up with drastically different results, all of which resulted in a better playing experience. Now, I play a pub for a few maps and eventually my name finds its way into the Awards section for something like MAs or flag returns. About every time I get top kills I say "that's it, I'm outta here."

There seems to be a lack of competition. The best Tribes players are moping around here on TW, talking about the end of days and such. Meanwhile, I'm in the game kicking some newbie ass and it's starting to depress me as much as the game itself has depressed the rest of you.

Just get into the game and let's have ourselves a grand ole time. Come on, it's not that hard: just load the game, find a server that's nearly full, and beat the living crap out of anything that comes your way with a red triangle over its head. Hell, I play T:V in the one or two hours before my first class every morning, and it just clears my mind for the day ahead. Play again at night for an hour or so, and I can rest easy.

Here's a quote for ya:

Me said:
Tribes: Vengeance has made me a better person. I'm more active, I'm doing good in school, and I'll be having sex on my living room couch with my best gal within days. I attribute my state of mind partially to Tribes: Vengeance. Thank you, corporate mindfucks, for creating something with so many elements meant to speak psychologically to the primitive mind in all of us, using simple ideas such as red, green, blue, circles, squares, and triangles, and for forcing me to keep my left hand glued to the left side of the keyboard rather than flexing my typist fingers all over the place. Good going, you mass-marketing eggheads. May your game find its way into the hands of twelve-year-olds everywhere and speak to people of all races, genders, sexual preferences, cultures, languages, and internet connections (except in the case of you providing that connection).

Last edited:
Wulfen said:
I'd like you to come in here and apologize for gutting this game and putting a knife into the collective community.

I know you won't do it, but you deserve it for this shitball you released. A lot of people waited years for this and as soon as you got it released you skipped town. I've known others that even after they lost their jobs stuck by their game. Now a lot of people are waiting and hoping the SS2845 crew can save some of this.

Both you and Marweas were responsible for this, and as soon as it came out you distanced yourself from it and all its' problems.

Fuck you for not making the game you should have.

/me points to my sig at the bottom of the post and grins. :D

Thrax is too much of a pussy to face up to his impotents in T:V. Even if laid off (quit, fired .. whatever) he still visits these forums, but wont say a word because he knows he'd get his ear full. Still, it's funny how near the end of T:V development and during betas, when you could see how T:V had failed, Thrax still tried to reassure his fanboys, and now he has all but throw them to the wolves to save his self image.

My guess ... he's somewhere with another company in middle management, and doesn't want to stir the bees nest with repercussions on his new job.

On a side note .. you think Dave G. is checking his bank account and laughing his ass off right now? :)

I do ....

BitRaiser said:
For once we sorta agree, Wulfen.

I wouldn't quite be so harsh, but I do think that Thrax was in the wrong position.
Too many design desisions were based on his own opinion, rather than what people wanted to see. I get that they were aiming for a mass market and thus had to take some steps to make it more palitable to casual gamers (which is sure to annoy the living crap outta long time Tribers), but certain elements just didn't need to be dropped.

Bullshit, I said this was going to happen when I was at the Tribes Council. All of the things you see in T:V were talked about at the Tribes Council. I told them that they were making a HUGE mistake but all of the T1 people at the council basically told me I was wrong and Marweas and Thrax were right.

Well guess what. Those morons, the T1 vets and the Dumb and Dumber Duo, were completely WRONG just like I said they would be.

T:V is a total outgrowth of what was discussed by the T1 vets and Marweas/Thrax and was fully endorced by those same vets. BTW, where did all of those people who were at the Tribes Council go? How many of them are playing T:V? How many of them totally bailed on Tribes after the game they wanted game out?

After the Tribes Council debacle people asked me what I thought the T:V was going to be like. I basically told everyone I wouldn't form an opinion until I had something to try but I had my reservations if they followed what was discussed at the Tribes Council.

Basically everything I thought would happen to T:V did happen. Do I like it that I ended up being right? HELL NO! I was looking forward to seeing the franchise continue and grow. I wanted to be able to create new things for the game but there had to be a viable game there to work with and there wasn't. I am pissed that Marweas and Thrax actually listened to the T1 dweebs that attended the Tribes Council and yes pissed that they didn't see what was going to happen like I did at the time. But hey Marweas and Thrax only invited me so they could say there was someone from the other side there. Most everyone else was there to stroke their egos and tell them what they wanted to hear. :(

And as far as everyone here at Tribal War was concerned Marweas and Thrax Panda could do no wrong. :razz:

If anyone on Tribal War ever supported Marweas and Thrax Panda you should go out and shoot yourselves because you are too damned gullible to live. Remember, I said from the first day that Marweas showed his ugly face shortly after they liquidated Dynamix that the Tribes Franchise was in trouble with him in charge. Again, no one listened to me because I wasn't telling them what they wanted to hear. :razz:

It really is sad what has happened to Tribes as it had so much great potential that was squandered in an effort to placate whiney, bitchy T1 vets.

Last edited:
Cinderkarst said:
My assumption is this: Wulfen MEANT that SS2845 is the hope of a continuation of the Tribes series, with an updated version of the engine which was pretty much designed for the series (Torque) and its notoriously easy moddability. Therefore, it stands to reason that if the tools are available, the disenfranchised part of the community will be able to shape a new Tribes game out of what SS2845 provides. The rest will stick with T:V or some other game.

Thank you for getting exactly what I meant.

Back