T2 mod for T3?

Terr said:
Okay, some people dislike anything ever remotely smacking of automation. We can just agree to disagree. However, there are a lot of things from T1 and T2 which are not in T:V which some people may want back that aren't turrets.

• Voice Communications
  • Cooperative targeting with the mortar, etc. Was useful with those mortar and sight ranges.
  • Easy voting
  • Sneaky tactics with cloaking.
  • The ammo pack as a loadout option. In some cases I would have still picked it if it were in T:V.

Those I agree with. I think they are things that wouldn't have hurt to keep in especially the cloak pack. Learning 6 instead of 4 packs wouldn't have been hard for newcomers. I would also include the waypoint system to that list.

More packs prolly will never get patched in though. Waypoint system is a possibility depending on how much support IG gives. I think they took out the bad parts of T2 and then a little bit extra that didn't need to go. However they still managed to capture most the fun aspects for me.

T:V gives a very solid base that comp folk seem to enjoy. Long as there is a solid base I say bring on the mods.

Big Monkey said:
I'm not certain if T:V does have any "better graphics" over T2. Subjective at best. T1 however did look pretty bad compared to either of the other two.

Some of the maps looked really amazing in T2, I liked the player models better too.

I agree.

Here is the deal .... Classic was meant to be a replacement for core T2. What this fellow is discussing is a mod, like renegades, for T2 in T:V. Not a T:V core replacement. Renegades doesnt split the community, it is additional. (Except to a small group).

If he were suggesting a core replacement, I would not support him. That would be harmfull. He isnt I dont believe. People should back off a little and let him have what they once wanted. (Whether I agree with him or not. It's not unreasonable).

I fail to see how T:V appeals to noobs.
-There are less vehicles
-Most players don't like the vehicles
-The vehicles are not as easily accessable as T2 due to the absence of a vehicle station.
-Easy to use AV weaponry has been removed, making it annoying to deal with vehicles(see pod spammers)
-There are fewer roles in T:V, lack of depth and variety leads to boredom
-HO base rape is extreme in T:V which just frustrates new players
-The bases/maps are smaller
-Player count on servers is lower
-The new weapons are difficult to master or useless(see rocketpod)
-Old weapons got nerfed and are harder to use(rifle/chaingun)

Zxqv8 said:
I honestly didn't even want to sift through the crap in here, but I can tell you that YES, someone is working on a base T2 mod (or was last I heard). I believe his name is MrKeen of Meltdown/Meltdown2 fame. It's a basis for another mod he wants to make, as far as I understand things. Truly, you'd have to ask him to find out, he hangs around t3o I think.

Just remember, it's all hearsay.

Thanks, that's all I wanted to know. You'd think I'd know better than to ask a simple question on these things...

this silly aspect of "fans" for movies and games where they demand things have to be THEIR WAY... is what can kill this game.

TseTse is right. Does it really matter if somebody makes a mod for this game and you don't like it, therefore you never play it? Is the mere sight of the mod's name in the server browser really going to burn your eyeballs out of your skull? I think not. Furthermore, if the mod does become popular it can only be a good thing because it means more ppl will buy copies of the game which will make Vivendi more money and encourage them to move forward with the franchise. I for one am pleased with what Irrational has done with the game. Not only did they create an awesome single-player campaign (a first for the series), but they managed to re-invent multiplayer while still maintaining the vibe of Tribes (like my flow?). Having said that, I for one still prefer Tribes 2's gameplay to Vengeance. Yes, action was slower, yes vehicles would own armor faster than you could say shazbot and yes the game was far more complicated and complex than T:V is, but that's what drew me to it. The fact that I was still learning new intricacies of gameplay even after I'd been playing the game non-stop for 3 solid months. I also preferred the scale of Tribes 2 maps to the maps in T:V. The action is more concentrated in Vengeance, but that's not necessarily a good thing. The feeling of accomplishment that you could get from piloting heavy armor into an enemy gen room isn't as great in T:V as it was in Tribes 2 because it is much harder to do without getting owned by defenders in T2. I would be retarded if I were to say that this particular difference in gameplay somehow makes T:V better or worse than Tribes 2 because it doesn't, it only makes it different. Some people will like the differences and some won't. You can't please all of the people all of the time. The only thing that can be stated for a fact about all 3 games is that they have all garnered a devoted following and when it comes down to it that's all that really matters because so long as there is a strong fanbase the game will keep changing and evolving.

Having said that I for one would love to work on a Tribes 2 mod for T:V. I have some experience mapping with the UT2k3 editor and I know how to code some C++. I think the toughest aspect of a mod such as this would be scripting all the phyiscs (movement, vehicles, etc.). I know that there are some tutorials out there for the Karma physics that are built in to the Unreal engine but seeing as how Irrational ripped out Karma and replaced it with Havok I don't think those tutorials will do me much good now. If anybody knows where I can find Havok tutorials please let me know. Also, I have a very regular full-time job and my free time doesn't all go to modding so please do not assume this post means I'll be releasing any type of T2 mod any time soon.

Last edited:
(Agent) Lister said:
It's probably too early and no one may want this but me, but is anyone working on one? T3 is a fine game in its own right and so forth, but I'd be interested in playing something similar to T2 but with new blood, physics, etc.
You phrased it wrong. Correct phrasing:

"Is anybody planing to make a mod adding new items, vehicles, game types, and classical military strategies to T:V?".

The moment you say "T1" or "T2" 50% of the audience is against you. Don't even write those names, they're both dead and gone. Talk about making something new. Trust me on this.

Last edited:
I'm with Phr33ky.
I played classic last night with my bro and a handful of bots... My god how I miss that game. T:V is a cool game, but it ain't the tribes I remember.
Gimmie back proper skiing dammit!
Gimmie back invs that work automatically
Gimmie back options that let you change ALL of the keys. (for crying out loud)
Gimmie back modifier keys.

I never edited an ini file or anything of that nature in T2. I shouldn't have to in T:V.
Incidentally, in T2 I don't use any scripts or hud changes. T:V looks like it will require them just so I can use the keys I want.

Zustiur.

JumboJack said:
I fail to see how T:V appeals to noobs.
-There are less vehicles
Compared to what? T1 and T2? Newcomers don't know about those games, 4 will be the default for them. (and why would it be bad anyway?)
JumboJack said:
-Most players don't like the vehicles
That's pretty much just a design problem in the case of the pod. Other vehicles are fine as they are.
JumboJack said:
-The vehicles are not as easily accessable as T2 due to the absence of a vehicle station.
Still, a lot of other games (UT, BF etc.) use the same system, so players coming from those games don't have to learn how to use the vehicle station interface (i.e. no n00bs in the station doing nothing)
JumboJack said:
-Easy to use AV weaponry has been removed, making it annoying to deal with vehicles(see pod spammers)
Rocket pod, laser rifle, blaster, chaingun, grappler+disc all work well against vehicles.
JumboJack said:
-There are fewer roles in T:V, lack of depth and variety leads to boredom
There are a lot of roles. I have no idea what you're talking about here.
JumboJack said:
-HO base rape is extreme in T:V which just frustrates new players
Yes, a good HO will own newbies in a pub. There's not much you can do about this.
JumboJack said:
-The bases/maps are smaller
-Player count on servers is lower
Comparisons to previous Tribes games, invalid.
JumboJack said:
-The new weapons are difficult to master or useless(see rocketpod)
The rocket pod is extremely useful once you get the hang of it. Yes, you have to learn how to use it, it's not the shoot and forget type weapon that you had in T2.
JumboJack said:
-Old weapons got nerfed and are harder to use(rifle/chaingun)
They didn't get nerfed, they were made harder to abuse (chainwhoring, o sniping).

Phr33ky said:
First off, lets clarify something. A T2 Classic mod for TV I wouldn't mind seeing. T2 base, forget it.

This game definetely needs to be modded, like all other Tribes games were. It's cool they are including an editor, to make this more accessible for most people.

As it is now, the game gets old pretty quick for me, I can only play 3-4 maps and then I'm bored and done. T1 and T2 I could play hours and hours straight. This game has definetely, finally cured my Tribes addiction.

The game was made about as good as any developer could have made it, considering the target audience they seemed to shoot for. It is well made in alot of areas, except depth. I don't blame this on the developers, I blame it on the suits at VUGAMES. (And someone should be whacked with a baseball bat for not including a dedicated server at launch... that was a pitiful mistake). What was someone thinking, or not??? Um-duh...

I thought Classic was finally what Tribes was about. If T2 would have released like that, I'm sure many from T1 & T2 would have stuck with the game much longer.

Please mod the crap out of this game, anybody!! I'm gonna try my hand at maps for starters, that seems to be part of the reason the game gets boring so soon, maybe it will help the game if some good maps are made for it. In the end I'm happy a sequel was made in the first place, and that we were given the tools to change the game into something closer to what most of us want. Just hope the game doesn't die out before Christmas...or summer.

Last edited:
If carving was brought back and the grappler given a nerf, I'd be head over heels in love with T:V

I'm still looking forward to see what the community does with mods though :) It's my opinion that in T1, so many people played both mods AND base because the physics were largely the same. I could hop on Cheater's or 5150 East, bang out a few rounds of CTF, then head to a Renegades server to get my boost on :p

T2 mods were all so effing different when it came to the physics, and as a result I wanted no part in them, even just to pub once a month as a break from classic.

It would be nice to see something more than easy fraghunting concentrated on single players. After a month I'm sure that T:V gameplay on pubs is much much worse than in T2 (and don't call me clairvoyant, it was obvious). It's pathetically unbalanced in 70-80% cases and due to stupid design of bases one tking idiot is able to totally destroy the game for 15 players.

I want back a team-based game, with clearly defined, specialized jobs and smart designed bases. Want long chases, capper cover, flag passes, useful vehicles. Want caps with history, not with f* speed and turtling for long minutes only.

I want back the feeling of that future world which could exist in reality.

Do something with this game, for easy fraghunting old UT99 in low gravity is still much better than T:V base.

Amadeu5 said:
Dude, if you want to play T2 then play T2, but don't try to turn T:V into a game that's already been done.

Funny...that's kind of how I felt about the whole Classic mod. You guys already had Tribes 1, but then you wanted Tribes 2 all for yourselves. I enjoyed classic, but I thought it was really selfish of the community to do something like that. You didn't see Quake 2 players trying to make the game more like Quake, they just played whichever one they liked and there was no INNER-COMMUNITY BULLshazbot going on.

"oh stfu member dur-dur-dur", go ahead, I expect that response. But seriously, take a step back and look at yourselves for a moment. It's really effing ridiculous. And you wonder why the community is so small? HELLO?!?!?! I know you don't want a huge influx of newbies, I don't really want that either. But I do want SOME new players to come in and not be assaulted, flamed, or ridiculed just because you've been here for 3 or 4 years and you think you're the effing shazbot to end all shazbot! News flash dickweed: no one cares about you and how popular you are in this little corner of the internet.

ah come on, flag passing is realistic, its like t1 style and easy to pass, dnno why ur arguing about that. i find that T:V is a very realistic gameplay, except i'd rather have it same gameplay as t1, except better graphics. cloak would be nice, same as spies, and im loving the sniper rifle since its not effective, unlike t1 where u could kill a heavy in 3 easy shots... this brings more skill into the game, u dont just have all noobs sniping but they also are using other weapons. those tk f*cks do ruin it for everyone. i cant wait till ren mod comes out, to this day ive veen playing ren and base in t1.

germ said:
Funny...that's kind of how I felt about the whole Classic mod. You guys already had Tribes 1, but then you wanted Tribes 2 all for yourselves. I enjoyed classic, but I thought it was really selfish of the community to do something like that. You didn't see Quake 2 players trying to make the game more like Quake, they just played whichever one they liked and there was no INNER-COMMUNITY BULLshazbot going on..

classic saved t2. whats your point? that people are forced to play shazbotty games and cant do anything to change it?

The point is you have no reading comprehension.

Also, I don't recall T2 in dire need of rescuing, so I don't see how classic "saved" it. I never had a problem finding a populated server. Did the popularity die down? Of course, the game had been out for a year or two. That kind of thing usually happens. And it was Tribes, so it was never really popular to begin with. But it didn't matter.

Back