Anne Rice rant, anyone? by piotrr - TribalWar Forums
Click Here to find great hosting deals from Branzone.com

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page Anne Rice rant, anyone?
piotrr
VeteranXX
Old
1 - 09-23-2004, 04:34
Looks like she'd fit right in over here if she just fell off that high horse. She.. or someone who Amazon.com identifies as her, posted the following on Amazon under Reviews for her latest, ah.. "book".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne Obrien Rice (New Orleans, LA United States)

From the Author to the Some of the Negative Voices Here, September 6, 2004

Seldom do I really answer those who criticize my work. In fact, the entire development of my career has been fueled by my ability to ignore denigrating and trivializing criticism as I realize my dreams and my goals. However there is something compelling about Amazon's willingness to publish just about anything, and the sheer outrageous stupidity of many things you've said here that actually touches my proletarian and Democratic soul. Also I use and enjoy Amazon and I do read the reviews of other people's books in many fields. In sum, I believe in what happens here. And so, I speak. First off, let me say that this is addressed only to some of you, who have posted outrageously negative comments here, and not to all. You are interrogating this text from the wrong perspective. Indeed, you aren't even reading it. You are projecting your own limitations on it. And you are giving a whole new meaning to the words "wide readership." And you have strained my Dickensean principles to the max. I'm justifiably proud of being read by intellectual giants and waitresses in trailer parks,in fact, I love it, but who in the world are you? Now to the book. Allow me to point out: nowhere in this text are you told that this is the last of the chronicles, nowhere are you promised curtain calls or a finale, nowhere are you told there will be a wrap-up of all the earlier material. The text tells you exactly what to expect. And it warns you specifically that if you did not enjoy Memnoch the Devil, you may not enjoy this book. This book is by and about a hero whom many of you have already rejected. And he tells you that you are likely to reject him again. And this book is most certainly written -- every word of it -- by me. If and when I can't write a book on my own, you'll know about it. And no, I have no intention of allowing any editor ever to distort, cut, or otherwise mutilate sentences that I have edited and re-edited, and organized and polished myself. I fought a great battle to achieve a status where I did not have to put up with editors making demands on me, and I will never relinquish that status. For me, novel writing is a virtuoso performance. It is not a collaborative art. Back to the novel itself: the character who tells the tale is my Lestat. I was with him more closely than I have ever been in this novel; his voice was as powerful for me as I've ever heard it. I experienced break through after break through as I walked with him, moved with him, saw through his eyes. What I ask of Lestat, Lestat unfailingly gives. For me, three hunting scenes, two which take place in hotels -- the lone woman waiting for the hit man, the slaughter at the pimp's party -- and the late night foray into the slums --stand with any similar scenes in all of the chronicles. They can be read aloud without a single hitch. Every word is in perfect place. The short chapter in which Lestat describes his love for Rowan Mayfair was for me a totally realized poem. There are other such scenes in this book. You don't get all this? Fine. But I experienced an intimacy with the character in those scenes that shattered all prior restraints, and when one is writing one does have to continuously and courageously fight a destructive tendency to inhibition and restraint. Getting really close to the subject matter is the achievement of only great art. Now, if it doesn't appeal to you, fine. You don't enjoy it? Read somebody else. But your stupid arrogant assumptions about me and what I am doing are slander. And you have used this site as if it were a public urinal to publish falsehood and lies. I'll never challenge your democratic freedom to do so, and yes, I'm answering you, but for what it's worth, be assured of the utter contempt I feel for you, especially those of you who post anonymously (and perhaps repeatedly?) and how glad I am that this book is the last one in a series that has invited your hateful and ugly responses. Now, to return to the narrative in question: Lestat's wanting to be a saint is a vision larded through and through with his characteristic vanity. It connects perfectly with his earlier ambitions to be an actor in Paris, a rock star in the modern age. If you can't see that, you aren't reading my work. In his conversation with the Pope he makes observations on the times which are in continuity with his observations on the late twentieth century in The Vampire Lestat, and in continuity with Marius' observations in that book and later in Queen of the Damned. The state of the world has always been an important theme in the chronicles. Lestat's comments matter. Every word he speaks is part of the achievement of this book. That Lestat renounced this saintly ambition within a matter of pages is plain enough for you to see. That he reverts to his old self is obvious, and that he intends to complete the tale of Blackwood Farm is also quite clear. There are many other themes and patterns in this work that I might mention -- the interplay between St.Juan Diago and Lestat, the invisible creature who doesn't "exist" in the eyes of the world is a case in point. There is also the theme of the snare of Blackwood Farm, the place where a human existence becomes so beguiling that Lestat relinquishes his power as if to a spell. The entire relationship between Lestat and Uncle Julien is carefully worked out. But I leave it to readers to discover how this complex and intricate novel establishes itself within a unique, if not unrivalled series of book. There are things to be said. And there is pleasure to be had. And readers will say wonderful things about Blood Canticle and they already are. There are readers out there and plenty of them who cherish the individuality of each of the chronicles which you so flippantly condemn. They can and do talk circles around you. And I am warmed by their response. Their letters, the papers they write in school, our face to face exchanges on the road -- these things sustain me when I read the utter trash that you post. But I feel I have said enough. If this reaches one reader who is curious about my work and shocked by the ugly reviews here, I've served my goals. And Yo, you dude, the slang police! Lestat talks like I do. He always has and he always will. You really wouldn't much like being around either one of us. And you don't have to be. If any of you want to say anything about all this by all means Email me at [email protected]. And if you want your money back for the book, send it to 1239 First Street, New Orleans, La, 70130. I'm not a coward about my real name or where I live. And yes, the Chronicles are no more! Thank God!

Was this review helpful to you? [Yes] [No] (Report this)

Personally, I'd click "No". There are no paragraphs, and to be honest... that stretches my Dickensean principles to the max.

Here's the Original Amazon link and I can recommend reading at least a few of the comments she got.

OFN disclaimer: There were no "Anne Rice" threads - plenty of threads about Condi and japanese cars though. If someone did post this before LEARN TO WRITE PROPER TITLES, ****WIT!

Sincerely,

Sponsored Links
Razer
VeteranX
Contributor
Old
2 - 09-23-2004, 04:41
Holy ****. For a famous author, she sure seems to have trouble finding the "Enter" key. Paragraphs, you ****ing hack. Paragraphs.

MC Hamster
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
3 - 09-23-2004, 04:46
yeah.. I gave up half way through.

Admittedly, I've never been a huge fan of Rice, but yeah.. maybe editors don't touch her sentences, but someone sure as heck must do her formatting if that's how she normally writes.

SuperTrap
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
4 - 09-23-2004, 04:49
seems kinda thin skinned.

Phantomstranger
VeteranX
Old
5 - 09-23-2004, 04:52
sounds more like an enraged fan. why the **** would she bother posting **** on amazon.com?

g0ds gReeN
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
6 - 09-23-2004, 04:55
she's on a mac, so wouldn't it be a "return" key? :p

piotrr
VeteranXX
Old
7 - 09-23-2004, 04:57
Beats the hell outta me.. but I liked the comment from whoever it was, that she had fallen prey to the worst of all literary fiends: The SUBMIT button.

SUBMIT! SUBMIT, *****!

Err.. except it was in the sense that once you post your message on a craptastic forum, there's no way back. I also liked the comments that she had told her editors off after "Queen of the Damned" and one "fan" says "Ooooh.. I did think it went downhill from there".

Prestige is not a good thing for creativity.

Alexander
Unregistered
Old
8 - 09-23-2004, 05:38
Sounds a lot like the **** George Lucas is spewing.

"Hey this sucks."
"Yeah well I'm an artist, and this is my vision."
"Ok well it's bad."
"YAH RITE."

Velocity
VeteranXX
Old
9 - 09-23-2004, 05:44
Err, I highly doubt that's actually her. Just some fanboy with too much time on his hands.

scy7he
VeteranX
Old
10 - 09-23-2004, 07:50
I doubt that's her. And I don't think she's a 'hack.' YOU ARE OMG.

consultant
VeteranXX
Old
11 - 09-23-2004, 07:59
My eyes are bleeding!!!!!!!!!

Anguish
VeteranXX
Old
12 - 09-23-2004, 08:05
I wouldn't be surprised to find out it WAS her, though ...

It's not uncommon for writers to follow such things. Even one as high-calibre as Ann Rice ..

I've had an email conversation with one of my favourite writers (Margret Weis)

SureShot
VeteranX
Old
13 - 09-23-2004, 09:11
OMG an email conversation! You're e-buddiez now

Nomad
Cheap Bastard++
Contributor
Old
14 - 09-23-2004, 09:30
looks fake.

Anguish
VeteranXX
Old
15 - 09-23-2004, 09:36
Quote:
Originally Posted by SureShot
OMG an email conversation! You're e-buddiez now

Certainly is nice to bounce emails back and fourth.
You wouldn't think it considering she's a celeb :x

Rancher Dan
Jesus++
Contributor
Old
16 - 09-23-2004, 09:40
What an overweight, flabby, girlie-man of a rant. She needs an Arnold the Editor to pump it up, and get the fat out.

Regardless, I think she went waay down hill after her two 'whip me, whip' me books. Come to think of it, she did the reading for the book-tape of one of them. I heard a snippet from it. The way she said "penis" totally cracked me up. It was pronounced ever-so-carefully like... she'd never had one in her mouth before -- "She whipped his long thick... peee niiii ssss... until it was throbbing like all the other long, thick... peeeeeee niiiiiiiiii ssssssss eeessss..." Seeing as how she used it forty times a page, it must have been a pretty damned long book tape.

Essentially she managed to suck all the pr0n goodness right out of what could have been a great "Letting Your Boyfriend Tie You Up and do Nasty, Nasty Things To You is Fun!" intro to S&M for fat goth chicks.

Last edited by Rancher Dan; 09-23-2004 at 10:08..
piotrr
VeteranXX
Old
17 - 09-23-2004, 09:42
I hear Orson Scott Card has more or less a private forum with people he talks to regularily while writing his books.

SureShot
VeteranX
Old
18 - 09-23-2004, 09:43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anguish

Certainly is nice to bounce emails back and fourth.
You wouldn't think it considering she's a celeb :x

I like Weiss's books. I would enjoy a convo with her too. I'm sure you have the emails saved....post em

Doaln
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
19 - 09-23-2004, 10:45
i liked Memnoch the Devil

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page Anne Rice rant, anyone?

Social Website Bullshit