fixes for T2 free release

LouCypher

Veteran X
fixes for T2 free release (edit: and other links)

ZOD's community patch already includes the following (or newer/updated version):
Not included in community patch:

Map packs:

Useful community sites:

Last edited:
In the same vein, an easy to use copy of Presto and Zear's NewOpts should be included in T1. I mean, how else are people going to actually play the game?

Lou, maybe we should create a Nullsoft installer package that will run and install all the necessary things for T2 play?

In the same vein, something similar for T1?

T1 needs the DOX maps, the OpenCall 2 maps, The LTMappack and a script pack that is easy to use for newbies.

T2 needs the TWL Map pack, the X2 map pack, the European mappack, the TWL Siege map pack, the TR2 tournament pack and the T2Arena mappack, plus all these updates and fixes (plus - sigh - a copy of DT to install at the user's leisure.)

Edit: This is all pretty much minimum for playing on the big T1 and T2 servers. :/

A lot of people don't know this, but when you create a demo and you use T2's in game voice chat, the demo actually saves the voice chat.

If someone were so inclined, good tutorials could EASILY be created, and the player would only have to run the demo to see/hear the info.

Seeing as how the single player in T2 doesn't teach you anything, a couple of tutorials showing basic pub tactics (how to ski, how to lead, how to play a certain position) could be nice for new players.

They probably already massed produced the DVDs. Maybe they'll include some kind of tutorial on the cd for the newbs. :|

Best way to do it is actually have the .exe ready. .zip is preferrable, but when people start playing, just point them to the direction. Soon it'll be a wave and everyone will use it.

A smart move would be to ask Menzo or Thrax to put a link on the magazine to this site, and put the info on this thread in a friendly step by step guide for new users.

That would be in the interest of the community and Sierra, since new clients wont be frustrated with the Tribes games, and allow a sense of equality with some vets.

Regards
BinderAJ

if they link to this site, they oughta link to a few other sites as well... (this site isnt exactly friendly to new people which is a major problem)

but i agree, it would be nice make sure folks who grab tribes2 dont start off with UEs and the hell we all know to well (btw, turn off vertex lighting and 99% of the UEs would vanish).

on the other hand, a lot of those things really arent REQUIRED. i think it's a stretch to push all those map packs, for example. that's just the TWL view of the universe (those map packs) and one could argue there are other more pubber friendly map packs out there... which deserve the attention if more MORESO than the ones TW and TWL emphasize.

but that's a big argument.

which is why they shouldnt do either and should just stick to the necessities.

|MrSniper|Nyx said:
nullsoft installer is a win idea.

Worst case if we can't get it included. We should atleast make it. Then have all the newsies reference a "community pack" to go along with your free copy of T1/T2.

So at release.. Vivendi can say, we are giving away T1/T2 and the community has come together to make "Bonus" content available that will help you enjoy the game. Some of it REQUIRED to play on community pubs, and help new players get involved in competition.

:)

Last edited:
Would also be nice to have the players with the free version show up in purple in-game (color denotes non-registered smurf name) to prevent smurfing from becomming super easy.

Well I look through the server stuff and it would be easier for me to update Classic mod with some of it and just do a base patch. I don't think all of those maps are needed or the bm8 files. So as far as packaging, I would say just the base scipt fixes, the clientside scripts, Dynamix final pack and resampled TR2 audio. Then link to the rest of it in order of importance. They wouldn't need the demo fix since they wouldn't have made any with an old version of T2.

ZOD said:
Well I look through the server stuff and it would be easier for me to update Classic mod with some of it and just do a base patch. I don't think all of those maps are needed or the bm8 files. So as far as packaging, I would say just the base scipt fixes, the clientside scripts, Dynamix final pack and resampled TR2 audio. Then link to the rest of it in order of importance. They wouldn't need the demo fix since they wouldn't have made any with an old version of T2.
The fix is for a bug in the zip compression handling of the demo stream. It doesn't have anything to do with 24834 demos. The Linux version doesn't have the bug and playing with a patch Windows Tribes2.exe doesn't cause any problems.

One thing I hadn't thought of with the demo fix though is if DT would detect a patched executable as a tainted installation. If that is the case I don't think having a different executable would be a good thing UNLESS TheRoDent updated DT to check for the demofix patch.

The bm8 files I think are necessary because T2 defaults to palletized mode and new users aren't going to know they need to have the bm8 files or run in 16/32 bit textures.

I think if you would make sure all the fixes from Classic and antiLou were merged into the base scripts.vl2, and maybe a Classic 1.5 that removes redundant fixes would help most. I agree on the map packs and linking the rest since they are still maintained by third parties.

Back