% complete ?

Err, I put my post in the wrong thread.

Here is game development as I've been told, stage by stage:

1. Idea.

In this phase, someone comes up with a game idea, and writes a small document with all the main game design points which he'll pitch to a publisher.

2. Pitching.

The idea is thrown at the publisher. Someone at the publisher critiques it and the idea might be revised until it's finally accepted or rejected.

3. Prototype.

A small budget is tossed at the chosen developer. This is so they can develop a prototype and a bigger better design document. This will be the guideline for making the rest of the game. If the prototype goes over well, then the game will be approved for development.

4. Development.

There are a lot of milestones in development. The first milestone is simple. The game needs to render art, sound and graphics. This basically means an engine.

The other milestones are somewhat arbitrary as I understand it. They are ways of telling the management "we're getting stuff done" and marking your progress in developing the full game.

5. Alpha.

This is a point where you are feature complete, but there will be additional polishing, addition or modification before beta. Big bugs are squashed in this time period.

6. Beta.

This point you are definately feature complete and polished, tuned, etc. At this point, you start testing for system compatibility, extreme or rare bugs, and subtle game balance issues.

7. Gold.

The game is sent off to be published. There is a complete list of known bugs the game will ship with.

8. Release.

The game hits store shelves.

If anyone else can think of any game stages I'm missing, I'd be glad to know.

Thrax Panda said:
Ya, Monkey. But we're testing Milestone 17 now, and working on Milestone 18, so you're off by one.

:)

Should I buttume that Milestone 18 is Alpha since Glenn said they were approaching it in the dev diary released a couple days ago?

LOL the bad word filter replaces "a$$ume" with "buttume"..

I really hope they decide to do a special DVD edition of the game. Include some extras like videos(possibly a 'making of..'), and I'd really like to see the prototype included.

I can only buttume this is promising.

*EDIT*: That is fudgeing hilarious.

*EDIT^2*: Fuk'ing hilarious.

Back