OFFICIAL Rover/Rocket Pod discussion thread

Coolguy said:
how are people even saying shit when they have not seen it in action?

you can still see potential abuse. like the remote spawning thing... read my post. i'm a little concerned about it

Colosus said:
All man D can never win a game. EVER. It is impossible. So what is the point of trying to balance against it?

the only thing that would nice is an anti-turtling method. the auto-flag return on a stalemate ideas from another thread sounded like a good fix.

Marweas, can you comment on the remote spawning points I brought up in my earlier post?

The rocket pod sounds cool except for one thing...
I can just see myself firing a salvo setting it on route to the target, and then getting attacked from behind. Of course one will want to probably switch weapons and fight back but if they do that will the rockets go fly somewhere funky?
Perhaps a way to release contol would be nice such as make them guided while trigger is down and then unguided when you let up or another bind. Now I think about it, just releasing them on weapon change would work great... perhaps this is already handled?

The rover sounds cool but we don't really know a whole lot.
I think the spawn thing would be fine but some sort of control over it would be nice. I can just see defense players spawning across the map or spawning out in po-dunk-nowhere when someone parks it somewhere stupid... teamkiller type people that are always around when games are released would probably do this on purpose. It could be quite useful if it were something like the MPB teleport in classic but spawning on the other side of the map with no way of getting equip might not be someone's idea of a good time.

Ok here are my thoughts:

Rocket Pod: Doesn't sound fun. The model looks kool. I just see it as something which will take a fair amount of work to balance, and doesn't really add anything new to the gameplay. For now we have the disc launcher...what the pod sounds like is a 'fusor which has more discs at less damage per shot, in that it's an area What skill does it require against a vehicle (it's main use)? The vehicles will obviously be slow enough so they can't dodge the rockets, and what fun is it shooting fish in a barrel? As well, what happens when you're dueling and you get the guy down to low health? Wouldn't people just pull this gun out and spam where their enemy lands (ie less skill to finish the kill)?
What about making the 'tracking' system require a laser guidance by another player? A single player can point and shoot if they choose, but if you want to get the advantage of guidance you need another player to help you?

Mobile Spawn Point: Sounds great. I really like this idea because it lets you have large maps without the 'walk for 5 minutes die' syndrome. You can spawn, grab the flag and then have that great chase back to the base all within a minute of spawning. Not only that but it will focus the defense on a single point...imagine as the defence you see one of these rovers coming over the hill...you know that if you don't dislodge it, you're in for quite a battle. It's the instances of 'oh shit!' which bring adrenaline & excitement to a game, not to mention a sense of accomplishment when you destroy the thing. It also looks like it might be pretty fun to drive around. Also if you still don't agree, I'll ask you, what else could you do with vehicles to make them useful??? I think this makes really good sense in terms of making the vehicles a SUPPORT for the teams to battle each other. Big thumbs up.

i$:LimpDisk said:
no.... CRUZ SUX A FAT CAWK---A FUCKING LITTLE LEAGUER COULD HAVE CAUGHT THAT BALL!~

lol. Were you sitting deep third base line during game 2? I think I saw you while I was biting into a churro (which sucked). But, I very well couldn't have yelled "limp!" without spitting ABC into some chumps beer.

A limp looking guy was walking up the steps toward the club level anyway.

rilkean panther said:
lol. Were you sitting deep third base line during game 2? I think I saw you while I was biting into a churro (which sucked). But, I very well couldn't have yelled "limp!" without spitting ABC into some chumps beer.

im talking bottom of the 11th in game 3 nerd, and no that wasnt me!

I am hoping that the rover can really get airborn and can land pretty well. IE on something like rollercoaster (for scale), take off on the top of the hill and land in the bottom of the valley or further...

VirDT said:
I know you never played Tribes 2, that was the point I was trying to make. The number doesn't matter whether it is 12 or 16. If the game is not designed in such a way so that an all man d can easily be defeated(like was not the case in T2)there will problems. I was suggesting ways to deal with that like making the vehicles spawn away from the flag. Had nothing to do with anything else heh.

If an all man D can easily be defeated, offense is too strong. Not even in Tribes, where offense was far more powerful than defense, could you easily defeat a turtle. Whether there are vehicles or not is irrelevant.

sender said:
Ok here are my thoughts:

Mobile Spawn Point: Sounds great. I really like this idea because it lets you have large maps without the 'walk for 5 minutes die' syndrome. You can spawn, grab the flag and then have that great chase back to the base all within a minute of spawning. Not only that but it will focus the defense on a single point...imagine as the defence you see one of these rovers coming over the hill...you know that if you don't dislodge it, you're in for quite a battle. It's the instances of 'oh shit!' which bring adrenaline & excitement to a game, not to mention a sense of accomplishment when you destroy the thing. It also looks like it might be pretty fun to drive around. Also if you still don't agree, I'll ask you, what else could you do with vehicles to make them useful??? I think this makes really good sense in terms of making the vehicles a SUPPORT for the teams to battle each other. Big thumbs up.

I disagree. If I was a HD I'd just be thinking, "alright, free spam kills"

Sojourn said:
If an all man D can easily be defeated, offense is too strong. Not even in Tribes, where offense was far more powerful than defense, could you easily defeat a turtle. Whether there are vehicles or not is irrelevant.

eventually a turtle will go down because with no pressure on your base you can send ho nonstop without opposition. after that its just a matter of time.

Colosus said:
All man D can never win a game. EVER. It is impossible. So what is the point of trying to balance against it?

I'm not quite understanding that either. I can understand trying to balance against a turtle, that's a little different than all man D.

Sojourn said:
I'm not quite understanding that either. I can understand trying to balance against a turtle, that's a little different than all man D.

And Vir is sitting there saying that he's going to have a team of all D. He can have fun I guess, but it will only take 1 cap to win.

The weapon seems like it's just an alternative to using the heavy mortars for anti vehicle/turret. Won't people just end up using whatever does more damage? It doesn't seem like it would be much of a midair fighting weapon, and from what I gather you can use it on a medium armor, so I'm assuming it does less damage to an area than a mortar can do. Maybe I'm missing some functionality here that prevents it from being redundant. I guess being able to adjust for faster moving targets could be useful, but mortars don't exactly fire slow and that was never a problem for me in the previous two games.

The new vehicle looks nice, but a mobile spawn point methinks is a bad idea. As somebody mentioned you definately need to keep it inside the map. Does this mean there's going to be a RTCW style spawn point selection menu somewhere? There really would have to be. Forcing everybody on a team to spawn out in bumfuck because somebody took one of these out there for kicks would kind of suck.

Colosus said:

You either never experienced or never heard about the numerous overtimes that went on in T2 because a team would just play D. Even the best offense in the game(wonder whose team that was) would have to take forever to win because the other team would just play D. You balance against it so you don't have that happen. So you don't have 4 hour matches. Because it is a losing strategy in reality even though they themselves don't see it that way is not a reason to NOT address the problem.

Back