OFFICIAL Rover/Rocket Pod discussion thread

okay, just watched the video. I've always been strongly against the idea of vehicles in tribes and though I still believe tribes doesn't need them I did like what I saw in that video.

Rover: the physics looked pretty damn cool and the speed looked right. My only concern regards the actual *use* of it: how does it fit into the game? that of course remains to be seen, but I'm really interested in the concept of 'faster on foot, slower in vehicle' this could be very interesting indeed...

Weapon: looked cool, dunno what to say really about this without playing the game...holding out I guess

Skiing: Please, please, please...next time you guys make a video, have someone disc jump! I'd dying to see this more than anything. There was one point in that video (maybe a glitch) where the skiing looked pretty fast and I almost splooged

the jet animation needs to go down if you are jetting up, right now it always looks like you are jetting straight forward. I hope that's going to be changed so the jets pivot or something. You only really notice cause the jets are so big now.

Sh33p said:
Which kind of adds to the point of giving every weapon a defining role and trying to reduce any massive overlaps, I'm no game designer but that would seem fairly logical to me :shrug:

This also seemed fairly logical to Qix, who also isn't a game designer.

There should be cool, multi-purpose weapons. Their best application will be up to the players who master them. To suggest that Tribes only needs 3 weapons or that we shouldn't change any of the weapons is pretty laughable.

BTW, the disc, gren, chain, and mortar are still in, so it's not like we've forgotten where we came from.

So I watched it (finally, thanks Frostie). Looks good. Not what I was expecting, but still good.

Did we see a grenade launcher or possibly hand grenades used a few times in the second half?

Marweas said:
ATTENTION EVERYONE. To satisfy sheep, TRIBES will now only contain 2 weapons. This is clearly the best game design choice that could possibly be made.

awwwwwwww, DAMNIT! Thrax already promised a dog that shoots bees and everything else would be stick. :cry:

Wendy said:
Marweas,

I'm okay with the whole cluster rocket pod idea, but do you think you guys could tone down the exhaust trail on all those pods? From the screenshots the trails are too long, too white, and too large...giving the illusion that the rocket pods are stronger than they really are.

I haven't seen the video yet, so I may be wrong.

I agree with this. I was looking at the trails, and they just look very armaturish. It reminded me a lot of tribes 2. I think we've progressed into technology that we can move past such effects without being taxing on the macine.

I suggest irrational go with something like this:
rptrail.gif

It's more of a line smoke. I think it was kind of used in the original half life, but I'd like to see it used more in juncture with nurbs to give it a nice curve effect. Imo, it'd really clean up the screen, espically if you're going to be having more than 6 of these things going off at once.

First, the video rocks.

That said, I would trade thirty rocket pods and rovers for the ability to play around with a grapple hook in light armor.

If you want to innovate add in the grapple and beacon stopping. Explore what makes Tribes great: freedom of movement with controlled speed.

Specifics from the movie/interview....

Thumbs up on the change to the chain gun.

Thumbs up on the article's emphasis on speed. If TV combines mad speed with control (e.g. great skiing)and has good weapon balance it will rock regardless of rocket pods or whatever.

Thumbs 3/4 up on the rocket pod thingy. If done well, it will be fine. I'm glad KP and crew is focused on making it skillful. It looks sweet - the Robotech analogy is a good one.

Thumbs half-way on the rover. Assuming skiing is fast (which it better be or I'm gonna cry), my gut is the rover will just be used in the single player and on newb pubs.

Thumbs up on the big jetpacks for medium and heavy armors. They look like mechs which makes sense given that we moved way back on the timeline.

All in, gj DEV guys!

Last edited:
Alex, on the rover's mannable turret--is it gimballed, or are drivers in T:V going to have to have nerves of steel and an absolute mastery of freelook like in T2? Mind you, I always loved the T2 tank, but the lack of a gimballed turret on it always pissed me off.

*edit*

That bit about the chaingun is sweet--I've always fired mine in controlled bursts anyway, and I'm glad to hear that it's now a requirement. :)

First of all, in typical TW style, this thread became a little too much whine, not enough information... so I'm skipping everything but what Col and Mar have to say :heart:

Anyways, just watched the video... HOLY SHIT! Alex, can I come over sometime soon?! :heart: :heart: :heart:

Ambush_Bug[DTM] said:
Alex, on the rover's mannable turret--is it gimballed, or are drivers in T:V going to have to have nerves of steel and an absolute mastery of freelook like in T2?

If gimballed means a stabilized platform, then I believe there will be. However, I believe that will only be available to the passenger. Rover will still undergo many changes, so hard to say.

Sir Lucius said:
I agree with this. I was looking at the trails, and they just look very armaturish. It reminded me a lot of tribes 2. I think we've progressed into technology that we can move past such effects without being taxing on the macine.

I suggest irrational go with something like this:
rptrail.gif

It's more of a line smoke. I think it was kind of used in the original half life, but I'd like to see it used more in juncture with nurbs to give it a nice curve effect. Imo, it'd really clean up the screen, espically if you're going to be having more than 6 of these things going off at once.

nah, I prefer smoke trails

|Blitzkrieg| said:
Anyways, just watched the video... HOLY SHIT! Alex, can I come over sometime soon?! :heart: :heart: :heart:

When Chris gets back from vacation and things settle down a bit here, maybe we'll have another capture session and you guys can come back and play the update.

DiRtNaP said:
Things to keep in mind:

How about this? Allow rockets to be countered by CG / disc.

Every object can interact with every other object. We've already seen you can chain down a grenade. In theory you could chain down a missle, or a disc, or disc another disc, etc.

Marweas said:
When Chris gets back from vacation and things settle down a bit here, maybe we'll have another capture session and you guys can come back and play the update.

Will you fly me out too? :roller:

Marweas said:
So much :heart:

Tell Chris I'll love him forever if he invites us back

in the video one of the guys had a blue trail on him. what was that?? it wasnt jet pack smoke cause it was between it. huh huh?

edit: thumbs up on the change to cg, it needed it.

Last edited:
Back