OFFICIAL Rover/Rocket Pod discussion thread

Data said:
Sorry, I have to come back to this.

How does it get more "press" as an exclusive release to one site? That makes no sense. Do you not cover a broader base and actually REACH MORE PEOPLE by sending it out to as many sites as possible -- especially the fansites? And I'm only talking about the video and screenshots. The interview I actually understand and agree with, being exclusive (it's an interview, duh).

Am I just totally confused here? How do you reach the most people, and get the most "press" by giving all your goodies to one site?

:huh: :confused: :ugh:

Its a tradeoff thing. They could give it to tons of sites and it'd get little sub-headlines or a line in a sidebar somewhere, or they could give a site an exclusive and have it in nice BIG letters on the front page for all to see, and let it propogate to the other sites over a few days. Best of both worlds.

meh, I think Gamespot is good. no on cares enough about TW to give TW an exclusive video of this magnitude. The video has prolly already been downloaded thousands of times :x

And for all of you that can do nothing but complain cause it's not how you envision it to be -> :baby:

Sh33p said:
To take out base assets you have the mortar and for everything else you have the disc, if you want a way for infantry to take out vehicles then for godsake just make it require a lock on a vehicle before firing THEN guideable. Anything else is just asking for abuse imho.

ATTENTION EVERYONE. To satisfy sheep, TRIBES will now only contain 2 weapons. This is clearly the best game design choice that could possibly be made.

Man, where is Thrax when you need him? I can't muster enough sarcasm.

Data said:
Do you not cover a broader base and actually REACH MORE PEOPLE by sending it out to as many sites as possible -- especially the fansites?

The broad release you're referring to happens shortly after the exclusive release. All the info is sent out to everyone. Site and magazines offer the biggest coverage to exclusives. General release stuff isn't competitive for them.

My thoughts -- simply I'm reminded of:

robotech.gif

What about instead of the chaingun heat making it shut off, what if it made it less accurate? Then it would penalize low pingers for keeping it down and high pingers would have a better spread providing at least some damage for those with trouble hitting because of lag. Or perhaps a combo of the two.

The vid looks great BTW... we need to see some leet MAs tho, seems like everyone's always missing. :p

I'm also wondering about the close range effectivness of the rocket pod... wouldn't firing it at very close range allow for highly concentrated firepower? Perhaps this is intended?

Data said:
Sorry, I have to come back to this.

How does it get more "press" as an exclusive release to one site? That makes no sense. Do you not cover a broader base and actually REACH MORE PEOPLE by sending it out to as many sites as possible -- especially the fansites? And I'm only talking about the video and screenshots. The interview I actually understand and agree with, being exclusive (it's an interview, duh).

Am I just totally confused here? How do you reach the most people, and get the most "press" by giving all your goodies to one site?

:huh: :confused: :ugh:

We get exclusive material all the time. Rarely will you see a developer give everyone the same thing at the same time. At most it will be everyone gets something different. Like the Everquest screenshots that circulated before beta. Obviously that is up to the developer in the end and the time schedule they have for releasing material. We really would not have much desire to put T:V on the frontpage if everyone else had the same thing heh.

Wow, after watching the video that weapon is nothing like I expected... It doesn't seem that great or that bad

That rover thing looks pointless, I'd rather just ski than drive like a homo

wait a second, this is kind of unrelated to rockets and vehicles and crap, but was there a fight in that video in a CAVE? badass indeed.

BrEaDmAn86 said:
wait a second, this is kind of unrelated to rockets and vehicles and crap, but was there a fight in that video in a CAVE? badass indeed.

Cavern is more like it. ;-) It was huge.

Marweas said:
ATTENTION EVERYONE. To satisfy sheep, TRIBES will now only contain 2 weapons. This is clearly the best game design choice that could possibly be made.

:lol:

No you need the grenade launcher too, thats the best weapon in tribes :)

Sorry but as nice on screenshots as having 3 weapons per job task is and it fills up that interview space great but gamers will always find the best weapon for the task and master that. Which kind of adds to the point of giving every weapon a defining role and trying to reduce any massive overlaps, I'm no game designer but that would seem fairly logical to me :shrug:

Adding another general purpose weapon that has such wide implications for ranged spam style abuse just because "rockets look pwetty" is totally unnecessary.

The image of 5 MO/HO standing on a hill 500m outside a base with a RIS raining rockets of unflareable death on HoF's, Turrets and any Vehicles that try to spawn is just too horrid to contemplate.

Last edited:
mobile spawn point is totally win. Reminds me of the capturable spawn points in savage.

rocket thingy sounds cool

Things to keep in mind:

It takes place way in the past.. Its SUPPOSED to look big and clunky.

I am for the rockets as long as it stays a skill weapon. Balance it out, and tweak / remove in beta.

How about this? Allow rockets to be countered by CG / disc.

You see 5 Rockets coming for 3 Flag D. A Hail of CG Bullets fly as Jetpack smokePours out of the LD sailing up into the sky relentlessly trying to save their own ass by chaining down the rockets, and keeping the flag home.

I like the idea.

Back