Musashi's Passion starts some fun

Shade said:
Wait.... you can get in trouble for making something offensive on purpose? WTF? I thought this only went for huge public mediums like television and radio. It's not like Muashi posted it on a huge public website. TW forums are private.

And, if that's true, how do sites like stileproject exist? That shit is almost always offensive.
You *kinda* can in some cases. An example of this is hate speech, which is not protected under law.

An example is Keith Henson who was convicted in California in 2001 of "terrorizing" Scientology though Usenet posts and picketing.
http://www.wired.com/news/politics/0,1283,43420,00.html?FACTNet

In all it probably depends on who you're criticizing and how much money they want to spend attempting to convict you.

Colosus said:
If I were to start my own religion based on the worship of Mountain Dew... Would you respect my title? Just figured I would ask while I had your attention. Have a great day.

Cardinal DeWald
Church of Mountain Dew

woot! Does this mean I get to be Pope?

Purifier said:
An example is Keith Henson who was convicted in California in 2001 of "terrorizing" Scientology though Usenet posts and picketing.

The way you say it makes it sound like that's all he did. He also, according to the article, was convicted of:

- Threatening to target the Scientologists with a nuclear device
- Taking down license plate numbers of Scientologists and publishing them
- Following Scientologists onto public buses to harass them

I hate Scientology as much as the next guy but he wasn't just saying things about them or even just saying things TO them. He was doing seriously scary stuff. He crossed the line of free speech, by a LONG shot.

Boomerman said:
I could see how Sashi's Flash might be considered a tad anti-semetic but certianly no more than the movie it was parodied from in the first place.

thats exactly what i thought.... i dont understand how Musashi's flash could offend an Archbishop but the movie it was based on didnt.

:shrug:

as a side note i was walking down Yonge street yesterday and passed a restaurant named 'Musashi' ... it made me think of TW.

:lol: at the Cols first post (I don't have time right now to read 25 pages). It isn't suprising that somebody like that logged a complaint about the flash, it is funny that they expect Colosus to do something about it.

mojotooth said:
The way you say it makes it sound like that's all he did. He also, according to the article, was convicted of:

- Threatening to target the Scientologists with a nuclear device
- Taking down license plate numbers of Scientologists and publishing them
- Following Scientologists onto public buses to harass them

I hate Scientology as much as the next guy but he wasn't just saying things about them or even just saying things TO them. He was doing seriously scary stuff. He crossed the line of free speech, by a LONG shot.
very true, but I would argue that threatening to blow up scientologists with a nuclear device, or a "tom cruise missle," is hardly a credible threat worthy of note or conviction.

The standard isn't necessarily if it is offensive but more if it's a credible threat of violence. But that in itself can be a little fuzzy. Some people feel horribly threatened by this crap for some strange reason while everyone else laughs.

I'm still trying to figure out how "interfering with a religion" is a crime.

FOG|Adrenaline said:
You make it sound as if Gibson went into the Passion expecting it to be one of the Top 10 grossing films of all time when in reality he went in and spent 30 million of his own money to make a movie that was important to him expecting to make very little of it back with little-to-no support from any sort of publisher.

Let me get this fucking straight. You think he did this movie for as a public service or something. Or a pet project?

Bull.
shit.

He made this movie for the EXACT same reason why ANY movie is made now. He wanted it to make money. If there were any Christian motivation for the film he'd pay of his investment expenses for production and give the money away to charity.

I'm doing a report on freedom of speech and instances where it is not allowed. I need cases for reference. Thank you everyone for posting them :) And I can't wait for the reply...

Uncle Silas said:
Let me get this fucking straight. You think he did this movie for as a public service or something. Or a pet project?

Bull.
shit.

He made this movie for the EXACT same reason why ANY movie is made now. He wanted it to make money. If there were any Christian motivation for the film he'd pay of his investment expenses for production and give the money away to charity.

Bull.
Shit.

He had a vision of the passion, he made this movie as a sincere expression of faith...and a fucked up, surreally violent, humorless faith it is. Don't you recall the negative hype? Nobody was going to see it, no theaters would show it, nobody wanted to read the subtitles (which he put in only grudgingly)...you are saying his plan was to get rich off native Aramaic speakers?

As for charity, I guarantee you his church gets 10% of his cash, and I'd be surprised if that's all. Charity is all rich people have left to do.

Purifier said:
very true, but I would argue that threatening to blow up scientologists with a nuclear device, or a "tom cruise missle," is hardly a credible threat worthy of note or conviction.

The standard isn't necessarily if it is offensive but more if it's a credible threat of violence. But that in itself can be a little fuzzy. Some people feel horribly threatened by this crap for some strange reason while everyone else laughs.

I'm still trying to figure out how "interfering with a religion" is a crime.

Because one of the things this country was FOUNDED ON. Was the right to religious freedom. Hell, it's the reason your ancestors probably came to this rock, was so they could practice whatever religion they wanted without being hung.

I have no problem with people that hate religion. They're retarded, and wasting their time using an emotion like hate for something that in no way effects them. But hey, retards have the right to be retarded. And I wouldn't take that right away from them. However, if someone started chasing you around, yelling at you that you weren't christian, and hounding you to your door about how your going to hell, than saying they were going to bomb your house... Yeah, I'd support you suing them.

If they made a cartoon about it however, good for them. Hope they at least made it funny.

USENET REFERENCES
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&safe=off&threadm=8sh5gb%246p2%241%40nnrp1.deja.com&rnum=1&prev=/groups%3Fq%3DLeland%2BLannoye%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26oe%3DUTF-8%26safe%3Doff%26selm%3D8sh5gb%25246p2%25241%2540nnrp1.deja.com%26rnum%3D1

*** LANNOYE, LELAND ***
Presbyter, The Old Catholic Orthodox Church
http://www.geocities.com/revleland/
http://www.oldcatholicorthodoxchurch.org/
The Rev. Leland Lannoye
1228 Butternut Lane
Indianopolis, Indiana 46234 USA
Phone: 317.414.8731 (from web site)
Phone: 317.273.1954 (from a diff. web site)
Email: revleland@yahoo.com
Email: Leeaoe@juno.com
Email: leeaoe@iquest.net
Ordinations:
- Claims to have been ordained a priest by the late Abp. Walter
Brown; however there is absolutely no evidence to substantiate
this.
Advisories:
- Because he publically declares a close relationship with CJ3's
"Continuing Episcopal 'Church'", it is suggested that one avoid
all contact with Lannoye.
- Copies of email sent to L. Lannoye will probably wind up in
the hands of CJ3.
Entry last updated 2000-10-13.
------------------------------------
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=L...e=off&selm=8sh7rj$8d9$1@nnrp1.deja.com&rnum=2

*** 2000.10.12 ***
Leland Lannoye reposts the entire collection of defamatory lies
and half-truths from CJ3's web site onto his own. What a truly
evil man Lannoye is!
-------------------------------------

[THE]Perrin said:
Because one of the things this country was FOUNDED ON. Was the right to religious freedom. Hell, it's the reason your ancestors probably came to this rock, was so they could practice whatever religion they wanted without being hung.
But you don't need a law specifying that "interfering with religion" is illegal; you only need laws against harassment and hanging.

I have no problem with people that hate religion. They're retarded, and wasting their time using an emotion like hate for something that in no way effects them. But hey, retards have the right to be retarded. And I wouldn't take that right away from them. However, if someone started chasing you around, yelling at you that you weren't christian, and hounding you to your door about how your going to hell, than saying they were going to bomb your house... Yeah, I'd support you suing them.

If they made a cartoon about it however, good for them. Hope they at least made it funny.
Most people who hate religion would be pretty indifferent about it if the religious would leave them alone, but that's not the case in american society.

Back