How to BBQ a beef clod and other stuff

i believe some sort of dry rub is planned

toss her on this charcoal monster

photo.jpg

and give 'er.

I finally bought myself my first BBQ this summer and I am LOVING it. I've never BBQ so much as a hotdog until I got this and I have been an idiot for missing out on this for so long. I haven't gone with huge cuts yet, but some thick T-Bones and such have been coming out successful now and awesome tasting. The first couple ended up being hard as rocks and my neighbor who BBQs year round on a daily basis gave me some tips.

Anyhow, BBQing rocks, I don't know how I lived without it all this time. Hail to the BBQ Gods.

Holy crap! Can an offset firebox work when mounted on the right hand side?

I mentioned brine because my brother swears by it. I keep meaning to do a whole brined bird but I have only brined turkey breasts. I guess it produces great results.

When I smoke turkey, I use cheese cloth to wrap the bird after rubbing it. When you spray, it helps keep the skin moist. I take it off around half way through.

I picked up one of these, though and love it -

TDO-20.jpg

It's basically a big dutch oven but the turkey sits upright like you would do a beer can chicken. You can cook it over propane. It actually cooks really fast because of the metal going up into the cavity of the bird. It stays moist because of the liquid you add to the bottom. The bird stays out of the liquid by sitting on the grate in the picture.

Just something a little different. Smoked turkey is the bomb, though.

I finally bought myself my first BBQ this summer and I am LOVING it. I've never BBQ so much as a hotdog until I got this and I have been an idiot for missing out on this for so long. I haven't gone with huge cuts yet, but some thick T-Bones and such have been coming out successful now and awesome tasting. The first couple ended up being hard as rocks and my neighbor who BBQs year round on a daily basis gave me some tips.

Anyhow, BBQing rocks, I don't know how I lived without it all this time. Hail to the BBQ Gods.
What kind of cooker did you get?

photo.jpg

and give 'er.

I am picking up this tomorrow. I use to have a full barrel BBQ for slow cooking some good meats. However I had to get rid of it when I moved into an apt. Now that I am back in a house, I saw that at a store in town and figured it would work good.

I like the fact it has propane for when I just wanna quick grill some chicken breast, but also has a charcoal/bbq barrel for slow cooking/smoking meats.

photo.jpg

and give 'er.

I saw that at Lowe's the other day, pretty nice. But then again why does a charcoal grill need dials that look like it's from a propane tank? They only tote levers for raising/lowering the charcoal tray and an opening to lid out the ash catcher.

I saw that at Lowe's the other day, pretty nice. But then again why does a charcoal grill need dials that look like it's from a propane tank? They only tote levers for raising/lowering the charcoal tray and an opening to lid out the ash catcher.

It has 2 seperate barrels. One for propane and one for charcoal.

Who else is BBQing some big meat?

I picked up a 13lb brisket

raw.jpg

trying a different method this time, i put on a layer of yellow mustard with the dry rub

rubbed.jpg

I'm gonna throw it on later this afternoon, doing the 1.5 hour per pound @ 225 degrees, the ribs will go on sometime tomorrow as will the armadillo turds

That's 18 and a half hours for that, how much of a pain is it to keep to stocked with charcoal/wood chips to maintain that 225 for that many hours?

what is an armadillo turd?

Take fresh jalapenos, cut them in half longways, remove most the seeds, fill with cream cheese and a lil smokey. Wrap with bacon and let is smoke for a few hours. They are also referred to as atomic buffalo turds,but seeing how I'm in Texas we called them armadillo turds variations include no lil smokey, or adding breakfast sausage to the cream mixture.

http://hogwildbbq.blogspot.com/2007/09/atomic-buffalo-turds-abts.html

That's 18 and a half hours for that, how much of a pain is it to keep to stocked with charcoal/wood chips to maintain that 225 for that many hours?

Not that hard, I'll stay up till 2 or 3 and get up around 7 am, crank heat up to around 300 go to bed and when I wake it will be around 180-200.

I use mustard on brisket - but a light coating. That looks freaking thick! Also, coat the whole thing It helps create a nice crust.

Take fresh jalapenos, cut them in half longways, remove most the seeds, fill with cream cheese and a lil smokey. Wrap with bacon and let is smoke for a few hours. They are also referred to as atomic buffalo turds,but seeing how I'm in Texas we called them armadillo turds variations include no lil smokey, or adding breakfast sausage to the cream mixture.
I've had a variation of that stuffed with chicken.

it was called "chicken from hell"

2/3 cup Jack Daniels
4 cloves minced garlic
2 cups ketchup
1/3 cup vinegar
3 tablespoons worcestershire
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
3/4 cup molasses
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 tablespoon salt
1/4 cup tomato paste
1 teaspoon Liquid Smoke
1/2 teaspoon tabasco
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

simmer the garlic with the JD for ~5 minutes and then add the rest of the shit and let it bubble for 30 mins at least then bottle that shit up
have you considered trying some chipotles instead of the liquid smoke, tobasco, and cayenne?

I found this variation of the Armadillo Turd that I am gonna have to try.

ABTs kicked up my way ... stuffed with smashed pintos, mexican rice, aged white cheddar & a chunk of carne adovado ... bacon wrapped, dusted with a lil' DP Red Eye Express & applewood smoked.

Pic:

cxz5.jpg

OK - so the other thing I am doing on the cooker along with the clod is six racks of baby backs.

I like to get rub onto the ribs the night before so now is the time. I also have started the clod at about 220 degrees. I'll get a couple of pics in the morning when it's light out.

For now, here are a couple of pics of the ribs.
For the rub I used the following -
6 tablespoons brown sugar (I use turbinado sugar most of the time because it doesn't burn - but I used brown this time because the temp isn't going to go high enough to burn them)
1 tablespoons smoked paprika
2 tablespoons sweet paprika
4.5 teaspoons garlic salt
4.5 teaspoons onion powder
3 teaspoons lemon pepper
1.5 teaspoons cracked black pepper
4.5 teaspoons white pepper
3 teaspoons colemans dry mustard
3/4 teaspoon celery seed

If the baby backs have a membrane that you can get ahold of, make sure to take it off. It's on the bone side and you can get it started on top of a bone with a butter knife. These racks didn't really have much of a membrane so I didn't have to peel it off. On spareribs, it's a lot thicker. Taking it off helps the rub and smoke to penetrate the meat and it also won't get caught in people's teeth.

I am planning on cooking these ribs for 3-4 hours bone down. Then, I am going to slather them up with a glaze and add a little cider to a foil wrap and cook them for an hour or so then take them out to finish them uncovered with a sauce baste.

Baby backs with rub applied
ribs.jpg

Closeup of the rub
rib2s.jpg

More later... I also started the beans from scratch. They are making the house smell awesome. I'll post the recipe later if I get time.

Last edited:
Back