Fantasy/Sci-fi Book recommendations revisited by Window - Page 70 - TribalWar Forums
Click Here to find great hosting deals from Branzone.com

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page Fantasy/Sci-fi Book recommendations revisited
Page 70 of 96
bane
VeteranXX
Old
1381 - 07-22-2014, 20:25
That sounds cool, going to have to check that out.

Sponsored Links
slacker
VeteranXX
Old
1382 - 07-22-2014, 21:17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calamari View Post
So I've finally started reading Dune... and it feels over-hyped. It's slow and plodding, and I usually enjoy reading well-done political plots and intrigues. I think part of it is the vocabulary; it throws a lot of crazy terms and words at you fairly rapidly. Even with that consideration though, I feel like I'm missing something.

So yeah, what am I missing?
I read the first one but had no desire to move on to the next books. Same feeling here.

ArakAtak
VeteranXX
Old
1383 - 08-30-2014, 05:09
Just a reminder to you bookworm nerds to read some Joe Abercrombie.

Now well into the third in the series and it's getting good.

I wouldn't try to read them as stand alone, it's basically one big story split into separate books, there is not really much sense to it otherwise.

I'm reading them in tandem with A Dance With Dragons which is mildly confusing. Funny how similar the two are in a way.

But anyway - keep reading everyone, it's great fun and a better use of your time than trying to find fresh shrimp.

TF_Grungir
VeteranXV
Old
1384 - 08-30-2014, 13:23
Just finished the 3rd book (The Broken Eye) in the Lightbringer series by Brent Weeks.
Awesome series, I highly recommend it.
http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Eye-Boo...s=lightbringer

ICMeltdown
VeteranX
Old
1385 - 08-30-2014, 19:15
I read "Blood of Requiem - Song of Dragons 1" by Daniel Arenson last week and never got wrapped up in it. I have decided not to do the 2nd book in the series.

I am currently reading the 4th and last book in the "mageborn series: the final redemption" by michael g. manning.

I have enjoyed this series.

Kaiser
VeteranXX
Old
1386 - 08-30-2014, 23:04
Will I miss anything at all by reading the very last Wheel of Time book? I think I read Knife of Dreams. I know I will miss a **** ton of baths, dresses, food, and horses, but will I miss any crucial plot points?

RallyKazoo
VeteranXV
Old
1387 - 08-30-2014, 23:05
You miss the final battle of good vs evil, a big battle, and a magic pipe.

pZ II Birdy
VeteranXX
Old
1388 - 08-30-2014, 23:06
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF_Grungir View Post
Just finished the 3rd book (The Broken Eye) in the Lightbringer series by Brent Weeks.
Awesome series, I highly recommend it.
The Broken Eye (Lightbringer) - Kindle edition by Brent Weeks. Literature & Fiction Kindle eBooks @ Amazon.com.
Ah.... did not know the third book had come out.

I just started The Last Apprentice series, upon which an upcoming movie is based on... don't quite like it so far. Witches, ghasts, ghosts, silver and salt nonsense.

Last edited by pZ II Birdy; 09-01-2014 at 00:58..
ICMeltdown
VeteranX
Old
1389 - 08-31-2014, 00:20
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFireInAsa View Post
Yea, I feel like that series belongs in the young adult section, I did love it though. The second book is nowhere near as good as the first. And it creates more questions than it answers.

I read it a while ago, but there was some interesting stuff the author said about Denna. Something along the lines of  if you read the story from Denna's PoV, you would probably hate Kvothe just like how you hate Denna from Kvothe's PoV. There was some evidence to back it up too. 
Denna and her way of living always reminds me of Milady de Winter from the 3 Musketeers.

Also I didn't find the story juvenile, the telling of their story is about juveniles so their actions, at times, would be expected to follow that line.

Last edited by ICMeltdown; 08-31-2014 at 00:23..
Kaiser
VeteranXX
Old
1390 - 08-31-2014, 07:52
Quote:
Originally Posted by RallyKazoo View Post
You miss the final battle of good vs evil, a big battle, and a magic pipe.
I only want to read the last book. Does it have all of that stuff?

TF_Grungir
VeteranXV
Old
1391 - 09-02-2014, 12:04
Quote:
Originally Posted by samUwell View Post
has anyone read of or heard anything about a series called, The Frontiers Saga by, Ryke Brown?

has 11 books to it so far and the reviews/stars are pretty high.
Yea, blew through the series since it is on kindle unlimited. Pretty good military sci fi

DealersChoice
VeteranXX
Old
1392 - 09-02-2014, 12:35
Broken Empire series

I'm on the third book of Malazan. So far I'm loving it.

Calamari
VeteranXV
Old
1393 - 09-02-2014, 12:40
Just finished The Dark Between the Stars by Kevin J Anderson. It was "meh."

Reading the Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman right now, and man did it get dark.

bane
VeteranXX
Old
1394 - 09-02-2014, 23:39
I'm reading The Human Division by John Scalzi right now. It's good and I recommend it if you have read the rest of the Old Man's War series, but the writing in this one really sounds like it came from the internet.

RallyKazoo
VeteranXV
Old
1395 - 09-03-2014, 07:35
I just finished book 15 of the Dresden Files.

Very enjoyable series.

Austforbeer
VeteranXX
Old
1396 - 09-16-2014, 20:13
Quote:
Originally Posted by RallyKazoo View Post
I just finished book 15 of the Dresden Files.

Very enjoyable series.
The first one wasn't bad but while reading the second one it got kind of corny for me. Not trying to be elitist, but it was sorta campy.

Code4
BP's Pimpx
Contributor
Old
1397 - 09-16-2014, 20:18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austforbeer View Post
The first one wasn't bad but while reading the second one it got kind of corny for me. Not trying to be elitist, but it was sorta campy.
yeah it doesn't really get good until 3 or 4.

it's kind of neat though watching him refine his writing skills.

the audiobooks i found more enjoyable though with james marster (of buffy the vampire fame) narrating.

RallyKazoo
VeteranXV
Old
1398 - 09-16-2014, 21:56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austforbeer View Post
The first couple are like that. However, after 4 or 5 books the characters and plotlines start to carry over into multiple novels and it gets much better and more enjoyable.

TF_Grungir
VeteranXV
Old
1399 - 09-16-2014, 22:34
Been on a military sci-fi binge for a bit so I'm jumping back into some fantasy stuff...like a sorbet

Currently reading Fool's Assassin by Robin Hobb
Fool's Assassin: Book One of the Fitz and the Fool Trilogy - Kindle edition by Robin Hobb. Literature & Fiction Kindle eBooks @ Amazon.com.
It takes place after the Farseer trilogy + the tawny man trilogy and is just as good so far.
The Farseer Trilogy 3-Book Bundle: Assassin's Apprentice, Royal Assassin, Assassin's Quest - Kindle edition by Robin Hobb. Literature & Fiction Kindle eBooks

http://www.amazon.com/Tawny-Man-Tril...ny+man+trilogy

Semantik
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
1400 - 09-16-2014, 22:53
I still need to finish the Dresden books, but I like the audiobook idea.

Currently I am reading the Jack Reacher series...every one of these would make a badass movie. Sucks that Tom Cruise is the actor they picked to play him---in the books Reacher is 6 foot 5 and 240 pounds...a serious badass..will still watch the movies they make no matter what however.

Page 70 of 96

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page Fantasy/Sci-fi Book recommendations revisited

Social Website Bullshit

Tags
alex dare levert , alex knapik-levert