So pam aka madcat..when are you moving in with suicide taxi?

LogRoller said:
If people do not care about what they say, then why do they post at all in the first place?

For fun? To get under some people's skins? A bunch of reasons.

Maybe they post so other people can get a laugh? I found fraggle's posts entertaining.

puncho said:
For fun? To get under some people's skins? A bunch of reasons.

Maybe they post so other people can get a laugh? I found fraggle's posts entertaining.

fraggle cares about his posts. He has an agenda when he posts them, and desires to encourage a particular reaction in the reader.

If you post for fun, then you care about having fun. It matters to you. Everything you post on a forum is being posted because you want something to happen. You have an agenda, and you care about it, or you would not do it at all.

So, sometimes people post because they have something serious to say. Are these posts less deserving of care and consideration because the agenda of the poster is different than yours?

LogRoller said:
fraggle cares about his posts. He has an agenda when he posts them, and desires to encourage a particular reaction in the reader.

If you post for fun, then you care about having fun. It matters to you. Everything you post on a forum is being posted because you want something to happen. You have an agenda, and you care about it, or you would not do it at all.

So, sometimes people post because they have something serious to say. Are these posts less deserving of care and consideration because the agenda of the poster is different than yours?

dr. logroller evaluates.

LogRoller said:

Yeah, but the level of caring is about zero. I'm sure if someone posted something for fun they wouldn't care about the results/flames, especially if it's expected. People know that others will have differing opinions but irl, do you care about what everyone says to you? I'm sure people care less about what people on the internet, that they've never met or know well, have to say.

Basically what you're saying is that people care about what they do. Well no shit, it's the level of how much they care that matters.

Now, stop digressing from the topic at hand.

puncho said:
Yeah, but the level of caring is about zero. I'm sure if someone posted something for fun they wouldn't care about the results/flames, especially if it's expected. People know that others will have differing opinions but irl, do you care about what everyone says to you? I'm sure people care less about what people on the internet, that they've never met or know well, have to say.

Basically what you're saying is that people care about what they do. Well no shit, it's the level of how much they care that matters.

Now, stop digressing from the topic at hand.

The topic at hand is this Taxi/Scooby/Madcat thing. You're bashing Giga for insulting people. How is my digression any less valid than your own?

I wasn't bashing Gigafool, I was asking him what makes him so different from the other posters (which he hasn't answered yet).

I guess I did go off topic for a bit, but what you were saying was getting more philosophical :p

Yankee said:
I post to be more popular and to get to hang out with the really cool people at LANs....

Liar.

Shame though... all these people are very cool IRL... wish this stuff woudn't happen.

GL to all.

:sick:

puncho said:
I wasn't bashing Gigafool, I was asking him what makes him so different from the other posters (which he hasn't answered yet).

I guess I did go off topic for a bit, but what you were saying was getting more philosophical :p

Well, my getting philiosophical does not necessarily correlate with an uncomfortable level of caring about what I post, so you should feel safe.

To answer your question (since you seem to care that people answer the questions that you pose to them on the internet), I do not necessarily care about what other people say to me if they are not empowered to evaluate me. However, when people post messages to each other for over four years, and you have developed friendships with some of them, then yes, you start to care about what you say and what they say.

So, I would say that the level of caring about a particular interaction is variable, just as it is in any other aspect of daily life. So your dismissal of people caring at all about how people evaluate their posts is short-sighted and exclusive of what I perceive to be the vast majority of participants on this board.

Back