Sarcasm vs. People w/ no sense of humor

All Tribal-history aside, i have a strong tendency to rub people the wrong way with my sense of humor. I've been told that I'm extremely sarcastic and people dont get it and it makes me wonder if people just don't understand my jokes or if the things i say are real dickhead things to say....

tonight was a perfect example...

At the leasing office for our complex there was some kind of event with a radio station and they were doing a raffle. They pulled out the name Brian Dupree and when they announced it, noone responded. The raffle person looked around and this indian guy sitting down moved around and the raffle person said 'are you Brian Dupree?' and the indian guy smiled and shook his head.

I thought it was funny, so I said 'Well you look like a Brian Dupree!' and noone laughed and the indian guy gave me like a solid death stare for like 10 full seconds. I figured it wasn't going to get any better so I left...

Is that not funny??? Does noone get the sarcasm??? Maybe I'm only funny to me???

wtf

People don't 'get it' because sarcasm relies a lot on tone and inflection of voice. It doesn't translate well to text

Juggernaut is right (wow). All in the tone and timing. If you nailed that then GG Sir and definitely would have got a laugh from me.

Anyone who thinks this is offensive or racist needs to give themselves a stern talking to, what a surprise Belial is one of them, world class self-absorbed dickbox.

On this occasion I would have probably gone with "I'm Brian and so's my wife". Nobody would have got it though, crickets, tumbleweed etc...

Juggernaut is right (wow). All in the tone and timing. If you nailed that then GG Sir and definitely would have got a laugh from me.

Anyone who thinks this is offensive or racist needs to give themselves a stern talking to, what a surprise Belial is one of them, world class self-absorbed dickbox.

On this occasion I would have probably gone with "I'm Brian and so's my wife". Nobody would have got it though, crickets, tumbleweed etc...

desperate to get a dig in on me

i find it neither offensive nor racist

it's just really lame humor, which i suppose is why you enjoy it

desperate to get a dig in on me

i find it neither offensive nor racist

it's just really lame humor, which i suppose is why you enjoy it

What's lame about it. If the timing was on it's undeniably funny. What sort of thing do you find funny?

At the leasing office for our complex there was some kind of event with a radio station

Well that right there's step one on the 'bad call' meter. You're not in a bar, people aren't drunk. You're not at a comedy show, where people have gone for laughs. You're at some OB for a radio station where people are going to see the 'talent' and/or win a prize.

Step two is making a joke that's not nearly funny enough to overcome its offensiveness. Racist comedy (dress it up any way you want, that's what you were attempting) can be done, and can be funny... but you need to know the audience, and it needs to be good enough to get over the 'hump of offense'. If you can't get the joke over the hill, it's just going to fall over. If it's got the legs, it's a downhill run and people will laugh at the simple fact that people are laughing at it.

In short: Sarcasm is easy, but you still fucked it up.

Back