POLL - do u think opsayo ever goin 2 come back 2 play w us

is opayso ever goin 2 come back to tribe 1

• Total voters
All you're doing is show that you have no idea what was in those articles, nor do you understand the reality of what takes place in these sorts of cases.

Sure man, it's easy to take someone to court these days over just about anything. It's also easy to lose and get countersued.

In the articles you linked:

"Rutgers' Greg Lastowka tells Gamasutra that it's clear that Zynga's The Ville has copied from The Sims Social, from its use of very similar "personality type" choices to elements of character behavior and appearance."

A "personality type" and "similar appearance" are NOT movement mechanics.

You cannot take anyone to court for using "jumping," "sliding down hills," or anything like that. If you try, you will lose.

And guess what, EA lost (huge shock). Then Zynga countersued and received a worthy settlement from EA. EA got crushed.

"Zynga countersued a month later, calling the lawsuit "baseless." "

"No further information is available, though a source told the site that Zynga is "pleased" with the settlement terms. "

That is exactly what will happen if HiReZ takes Project Z to court, and the makers of project Z know this and are probably even hoping it happens.

So long as they don't name the game "tribes," refrain from using exact names or symbols like "Blood Eagle", or "disc launcher," they will be completely untouchable.

How do you think all of these freaking World of Warcraft clones exist?

You know next to nothing on this issue, and you clearly didn't even read your own articles.

Otherwise you wouldn't have posted them, as they do not in any way support your case, and in fact do the exact opposite!

Zynga made bank off of getting sued by EA.

"Wow, look out Project Z! Watch what happens! Read my articles as proof that you need to be careful! You might get sued and then be able to countersue and make shit tons of money! Making shit tons of money is horrible! You might get totally rich! Look out!" - Dare
we gon b real forza sec cuz u needa no how bigga fuqqin spergin derpy loozer u r bro.
In all honest it p coo dat yall fuggin nerds take to dedtrieb ded but let get more srs yall fukkin sukked nao n Mun sure yall fuggin sukked bak den so stop spergsayin ur stoppit chit n go get a life

fuq:king:

So lonely @ top

tpk the EA vs zynga case no one got "wooped" it was settled out of court twice over 3 years one time for copyright one time for employee poaching. zynga had millions of dollars and a publicly traded stock it owns farmville and mafia wars and had more than enough money to fight EA in court from 2011 to 2013 and on top of that the first settlement meant they had to change aspects of their game in EA's favor and the 2nd settlement wasn't about copyright at all.

video game clones can be done but so can patenting mechanics for example tetris can not be copied and has successfully sued copycats

but most importantly lawsuits is how these things are settled. the wiki page you linked to even has a brief history of some major video game lawsuits.

my whole argument has been hirez is a scummy company and the likelihood of a lawsuit over ip infringement seems great no matter which way it ends up win loss or undisclosed settlement all because hirez has a lot of money and project z doesnt.

please calm down or write another essay with edited quotes or quote the us copyright office about game mechanics not being copywritable where in the sentence after it says certain games have been able to patent mechanics like tetris. trust in the authority of sperg shit like wikipedia with a tehvul level of smug aspergers weirdness it doesnt matter because anyone that isn't a heavily medicated manic nutcase can see a lawsuit is possible.

Last edited:
So lonely @ top

The top is never lonely. You wouldn't know because you've never been there.

my whole argument has been hirez is a scummy company and the likelihood of a lawsuit over ip infringement seems great no matter which way it ends up.

the reality is that in your attempt to sell your unlicensed ripoff game, which is unlike the other community driven and publicly released games have done as they offered them for free, hirez will probably just legally nuke you. defense vs a high priced experienced $800/h corporate lawyer or a team of them in front of a copyright judge that has never played a video game in their life where the similarities of simply having jet packs, skiing, flags, and inventory stations will be enough to put you all on the hook for a lot of money or tie you up in court till you're all bankrupt due to legal fees is quite the risk. you are gambling with explosives.

Things like jet packs, sliding down hills, flags, and inventory stations, are not copyrightable. The whole grounds you listed for this supposed impending lawsuit are not protected by law. When you are talking about somebody getting sued for using "flags," which have been used in hundreds, if not thousands, of video games, you come across like you have no idea what you are talking about.

Nobody here knows if Project Z will succeed or fail. You speaking with such authoritative certainty on the topic alone is bizarre. The fact that you don't even know copyright law makes it even more awkward.

Since you are Marty McFly and can see into the future, why not tell us all about what stocks and bonds are going to go up so we can all get rich instead of preaching all this sky is falling propaganda bologna?

Bologna-facebook.jpg

Better yet, use all your magical clairvoyant powers to invest, get ridiculously rich, buy the Tribes IP, and fund your own team? Then you can save Tribes twice!

it cant go anywhere because tpk doesn't understand that copyright law is mutable by decision of the judge so there's nothing for me to argue back at him against

at this point hes just ignoring everything and making shit up

the point was it is possible and likely that a scummy company like hirez will do everything in their power to stifle any game similar to tribes which most likely would be a lawsuit

i cant argue with people that dont understand the shit they themselves are quoting its like arguing over if jesus was a real or not im not gonna change this persons mind no matter what i say

Last edited:
to put this another way

i dont even like groove but id rather talk about this with him or anyone else because at least he understands how scummy lawsuits can happen over basically anything and in the case of copyright law the rules can be changed with new decisions and precedents

maybe thats a canadian thing because we're taught about common law in high school idk

<3 to ucl always liked playing with you

tribes has never died once after a great player left the community....would be a plus if hes there but tribes will live on without him

to put this another way

i dont even like groove but id rather talk about this with him or anyone else because at least he understands how scummy lawsuits can happen over basically anything and in the case of copyright law the rules can be changed with new decisions and precedents

maybe thats a canadian thing because we're taught about common law in high school idk

i dont know if you saw it, but i apologized for being mean to you in your 'im going to go get drunk' thread a week or two ago

i dont really care if you like me or not but i still don't understand why you were so mad at me for offering to chat about your problems. i thought as someone who's been through tough times too and pushed past them, i might be able to help out someone i considered a friend

either way i don't see the point in holding a grudge from TW bullshit and it's not healthy to dwell on negativity so whatever happened is in the past as far as i'm concerned

How about this...we stop talking about this shit and hope hirez doesn't cause any problems with the project. Then we don't say anything negative about the game until we see it for ourselves. We hope project z turns out to be a game that at least is fun to play and maybe unites the tribes communities under one game and we can all have fun hating on each other. If the project fails, then we continue playing t1 for the next few years until our inevitable process of aging catches up to us and we all slowly stop playing the game. Then every few years we can come back to this place or wherever else and say hi and reminisce. Then in about 20-25 years from now, we can look back and shake our heads for ever playing this game or caring about it. Sound good? Ok, break.

@groove this stuff i dont want to talk about

@stork many ppl would agree with your way of looking at the situation. it's actually very reasonable. personally though i don't like being positive for the sake of being positive and i wouldn't mind digging up more information from archetype studios or hirez on whether a licensing agreement was given or if there are plans or risks of lawsuit in the future. this is mostly because tribes is such a unique type of game that has been around for such a long time and no one has attempted to clone it for profit in all of those years till now so the legal ramifications of doing so are really interesting to me.

4 example tpk will argue that you can't copyright game mechanics (which you generally can't but it's left up to creative interpretation) while some games like tetris have won settlements (and i think patents) over games copying their game mechanics

so we have 100 wow clones and fps games that are similar but unique niche games with long histories also have got legal protection and these judgments and rulings are mostly done by 60 year old IP judges that have never played a video game in their life and the standards and judgement are constantly changing and being challenged

this is stuff im interested in on a personal level and it was never meant to be posted as an absolute definite possibility but pressuring bugspray for answers on it is fun

from what i heard these guys hired marketing people for their game company already and if they've done that they'd be really dumb to not have gotten a legal opinion as well so there most likely is information that isn't being shared and i'm curious about it

Last edited:
like here is a cool quote from some exec at hasbro

That's a false choice, because copyright is hardly the only form of "intellectual property."

You can't copyright mechanics any more than you can copyright any other idea or mechanism. You can copyright particular pieces of text or images. You can patent mechanisms, and this is sometimes done with games. And you can certainly trademark products, which prevents people from using similar names for similar purposes (definitely an issue with "Scrabulous"). All of these are "intellectual property," not just copyright.

Nor is that list exhaustive. There are other intellectual property rights that could arise, such as design patents (the distinctive aesthetic design of a useful object), the right to publicity (you can't market your game as "designed by Reiner Knizia" without his permission even if you infringe on none of his other rights), and trade secrets.

so really its just a big ball of confusing fucked up shit and my gut feeling is that it's going to have some effect on project z

@groove this stuff i dont want to talk about

i kinda figured that, but either way i still wanted to apologize and let you know there's no hard feelings on my end

i got love to spare and it's here for all you mofos

even u bro

hope things are good :heart:

i will collect revenge most likely the next time you defend tictac in a gd thread and ppl r making fun of him obviously this wont be a big deal i get along with havax and tele now

anyway i didnt know that gameplay mechanics could be patented till a few days ago and the whole idea of it is fucked but also interesting

this is what i meant when i said skiing could be copyright, but what it should have really said was skiing in tribes over large outdoor terrain could be patented

Patenting Play
Video game patents extend to game methodology, too. In 2004, Sega sued game publisher Fox Interactive and Electronic Arts for allegedly using technology from a Sega-owned patent in the game The Simpsons: Road Rage. That patent claimed a "game display method" by which the player uses a map to drive around a virtual city while a large arrow hovers above the driver showing how to reach a destination. Sega used similar technology in its Crazy Taxi game and sued for patent infringement. The parties settled before claim construction for an undisclosed sum.

More recently, Japanese game maker Konami sued Harmonix, MTV, and Viacom alleging the popular game Rock Band infringed three of Konami's patents. Among the patents at issue was one that addressed dividing game play into different sections for different instruments and displaying instructional play patterns for each - essentially, a method of divided game play. After two years of litigation, the parties settled in 2010 for undisclosed terms.

I'm not asking you to be positive about it. There is no sane reason why you should be positive about given how many times we have seen projects fail and new tribes games letting us down.

I'm just asking people to save the drama for when it matters. We've only seen art work. Opsayo and fire played an early version and both liked it. Maybe it's changed drastically since then, maybe it's even closer to t1 than we think. If it ends up getting released, I'd say there is a good shot it's better than ta. Let's just chill until we've seen something. Maybe lay off the personal attacks on guys who want to make a tribes-like game. It's their right to put whatever spin they want to on it. Tribes can't be drug through the mud anymore than it already has been.

I understand where you're coming from, I really do. You know how much I hate the other tribes games and how much I hate hearing the other communities even talk about what tribes is. But there isn't a point in being negative until we've seen something worth complaining about.

just imho hirez did not spend a lot to get the tribes IP it was a very modest upfront investment to get the IP - i am not speaking of how much they put into it to go somewhere with it.

perhaps hirez would now be willing to sell the IP for a slightly more modest amount if the approach were right.

remember i am not bugspray and i am not in project z - different bugs different schemes different projects

bugs pray worked on other community tribes remake flops he also scammed people in classifieds and is a super republican (iirc) so of course im gonna attack him

i forget what that tribes remake was it was after the one loop made legends, but before the one where andrew showed t1 physics in et qw, i think it was called ascension but that sounds too much like ascend. anyway it was fucking terrible

also i probably read more about this than most people on here so i've seen direct quotes of things like mabel saying t1 was a flawed game or various devs saying that the game will be like t2/ta

then you tack on the fact that theyre using proj to farm opinions on game design and it just sounds more and more like a t2 classic clone.

which is fine i hope people enjoy it

but im still interested in the potential legal shit storm that can happen from this especially because hirez is like the scummiest company in the world next to those zynga guys so theyd be highly likely to sue

Back