Click Here to find great hosting deals from Branzone.com

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page D&D Lite Thread II: The Shadow of Death
Page 10 of 46
ElectroWaffle
VeteranXX
Old
181 - 03-09-2016, 09:25
After leaving the pub I stop a kid walking down the street and ask him to run a letter to the Stumble Inn, with half the coins now and half on delivery. Give him a description of Swollins. Give kid a few coins (whatever is a reasonable amount).

I write a note:

"S,
May have company for dinner.
Give the kid a few coins.
-W"

Tell the kid if the letter is not delivered then I will expect my money back and that I will remember his face.

Sponsored Links
doggor
VeteranX
Old
182 - 03-09-2016, 11:14
Before we head out let's ask the guy who the other power brokers might be. Who are The Seven by the lake. Who may be interested in buying either info or interesting items.

Then its off to find us some Scamps.

ElectroWaffle
VeteranXX
Old
183 - 03-09-2016, 11:23

Fool
Whiny BitchX
Contributor
Old
184 - 03-09-2016, 12:48
Doggor and Waffles

***8220;Look my friends, I have already told you too much about such a person. To say anything more would be more risk than worth. If you are indeed my friends, you will let it drop,***8221; the stranger said, now in an agitated tone. ***8220;And indeed if such a person existed he would not join you for dinner even if such an invitation made its way to him. Now please, I will speak no more of this.***8221;

***8220;Another topic then,***8221; Doggor said, changing the subject.

***8220;As to the Seven, they are the rulers of this city. We have no king or fancy lord here, it was a town built by merchants and opportunists. As such, it is ruled by a council of seven men, the wealthiest in the city. Their manors lay to the west, along the shore of the lake. They are mostly as you would expect rich men to be. Pompous, arrogant, though I suppose some are more interesting than others. They meet once a week in the capitol to discuss matters of state and address the public, though the next meeting is not for several days. I doubt any of them would be interested in buying anything except rumors and scandalous information about the others. Rich men get rich by selling, not buying. If it is interesting items you seek, Oddman***8217;s Odd Oddities has quite the collection.***8221;

***8220;We saw that place on our way here,***8221; Waffles said excitedly.

Doggor rolled his eyes. ***8220;Thank you again for the information,***8221; he told the stranger. ***8220;We***8217;ll leave you to your drink.***8221;

***8220;Thank you my friend,***8221; the stranger said, tipping his glass towards them as they exited the pub.

The two rogues began heading north towards the lumber mills, where the Scamps were supposedly housed. Waffles searched for a child to send a note to Swollins, but there were none to be found. Along the northern edge of the city were several mills where freshly cut trees were brought and cut into planks for sale. Huge stacks of processed wood sat in rows, waiting to be loaded onto a cart and sent on their way, some as high as twenty feet. As it was growing dark, the sun slipping behind the mountains to the west, most of the workers had started heading home, leaving it eerily quiet.

They walked amongst the empty stacks, but saw no children. There were signs of people, however. An empty banana peel, a scuff mark from a shoe high on a stack, a broken toy. Doggor could feel someone***8217;s eyes on him, but could not locate the source. Were they being watched by Scamps now?

Fool
Whiny BitchX
Contributor
Old
185 - 03-09-2016, 13:05
Lamir and Illo

***8220;The Brotherhood? Don***8217;t have no brothers myself,***8221; Oddman began. ***8220;Weird folk brothers, weird folk. I don***8217;t think any of them are related. Not by blood, if you know what I***8217;m talking about. Same parents. Nope. They don***8217;t shop neither, no money. No money for shopping is bad business and my brother always told me don***8217;t sell to customers who don***8217;t buy.***8221;

Illo stared at the bizarre man before him. ***8220;Do you have any magical tomes, books, or scrolls? Anything related to ancient history or local religious groups?***8221; Lamir asked him.

Oddman sighed and stumbled over to a large stack of messily bound books and muttering. ***8220;Books . . . books . . . why is it always books. Nobody ever learned nothing from reading a book. Somebody tell me why it makes sense to teach spelling from a book, if you can***8217;t spell, how can you read the book to learn to spell!***8221; his voice raised to a shout as he rambled. Books began to fly across the room as he tossed them from the pile and resumed his mutterings. ***8220;Ancient Dragons Favorite Soups . . . no. Hm, Hypnosis for Fun: Amaze your Friends . . . no. Goblin***8217;s Bane, a children***8217;s adventure . . . no. Gideon***8217;s . . . no. AHA!***8221; he shouted once more, pulling a dusty tome from the pile and sending dozens of scrolls to the floor. He handed it to Lamir. ***8220;Is this what you want?***8221;

The book was old, bound in dark leather. An arcane symbol was all that adorned the cover, one that he did not recognize. The parchment inside was faded yellow, the edges stained with what looked like blood. Lamir dared not open it without further research. ***8220;What is it?***8221; Lamir asked Oddman.

***8220;Now that there, is a book,***8221; Oddman replied. ***8220;Two gold please.***8221;

havax
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
186 - 03-09-2016, 13:57
still fiddling with the dagger. i use it as a microphone and say, "hello dagger, testing, testing one two three". i then proceed to scrape some black crusty **** from under my fingernails with it.

Harbinger
VeteranX
Old
187 - 03-09-2016, 14:29
I pay the gold and head out from the shop. I want to examine the book before opening it, so let's head back to the inn Illo suggested.

Can i sense anything out of the ordinary about this book, besides it being old and bloodstained? I can use detect magic, and my knowledge of history may be able to help me identify its origins.

Also I have some experience with opening sketchy books, so if all else fails lets crack it open and take a look. What's the worst that could happen, right?

doggor
VeteranX
Old
188 - 03-09-2016, 14:36
waffles, I think we're being watch," I whisper. "Let's see how good they are a finding us. Maybe we can get the drop on them." I look for any small openings that look like a good area to hide in and hide in it.

Fool
Whiny BitchX
Contributor
Old
189 - 03-09-2016, 15:42
Swollins, Goshin, Coombzy, and Havax

Shadows lengthened across the floor as the sun moved past the mountains. None of his companions had returned as of yet, but Swollins was not entirely concerned. It grew darker earlier than expected, and the town itself did not appear dangerous or threatening in any way. He had no reason to worry for anyone***8217;s safety. He sighed and returned inside and sat down at the center table once more.

As the day***8217;s work concluded, several patrons began to wander into the bar to spend what coin they had earned with their labor. The innkeeper grumbled as he served drinks and began prepping dinner for anyone who wanted to eat. ***8220;Stew again?***8221; Coombzy called out.

***8220;YOU SHUT IT!***8221; he roared back.

Bemused, Coombzy took a seat by Swollins and passed him a mug of ale. ***8220;Surely a strong warrior such as yourself has a tale to tell a simple Bard, one searching for inspiration,***8221; he said, nervously glancing towards Havax who was deftly spinning a small dagger through his fingers.

Swollins took the mug and raised it, nodding his thanks to the Halfling. ***8220;What would you like to know?***8221; Swollins replied.

***8220;Well for starters, how about your name stranger? I am called Coombzy.***8221;

***8220;His name is Swollins,***8221; a voice called out from the front door.

Coombzy Bardic Lore:
Spoiler

They instinctively turned their heads to the door and the voice and saw several newcomers enter the inn. There were three of them, an elderly man who wore loose fitting leathers, a breathtakingly beautiful woman, and a man whose entire face was hidden behind a silver mask. Both men were armed, though their weapons were not drawn. ***8220;Do I know you?***8221; Swollins asked the elderly man.

***8220;No, not as of yet,***8221; he replied, moving to the seat across from Swollins. ***8220;May I?***8221; he indicated to the bench.

***8220;It***8217;s a free city,***8221; Swollins answered.

The man sat down, shifting his rapier as he did to still be reachable and extracting a smoking pipe from a pocket in his belt. ***8220;Do you mind?***8221; he asked, holding the pipe out. Swollins shook his head, a quizzical look on his face. The man filled the pipe with leaf, lit it and placed it in his mouth.

Coombzy studied the man with interest. He was older for a human, probably around sixty years of age. His skin was tan and leathered, his hair and eyes were both grey. There was a twinkle in his eyes, however, and there were many creases from a lifetime of carefree smiles. His body language was completely relaxed.

His female companion moved towards the bar behind them and sat on a stool. She was a true beauty, no doubt with some elven ancestry. Blazing red hair cascaded gracefully down to her bare shoulders. She carried no weapons, and wore only leathered robes that would make even a brothel worker blush. As she sat down, she crossed her legs, revealing her smooth thighs all the way to her hips. Her hand went to her face as she viewed the room with an expression of cold boredom.

The third man was a complete enigma. He had not moved from his spot at the door. His entire body was covered from head to toe, no part was visible. He was neither short nor tall, fat or skinny. Coombzy could not even tell what race he belonged to. The silver mask he wore hid his face entirely, even his eyes were shrouded in darkness. Two jagged shortswords were on his belt, a shortbow strapped to his back. In his right hand, he held a large leather sack that looked rather heavy.

***8220;Ah that really is the way to end a day,***8221; the elderly man said, letting out a puff of smoke. ***8220;Now where was I? Ah yes, this here is Swollins. The hero who saved Cravenia from the threat of Ogl. Or is it the villain who killed the King and Queen, stole their daughter***8217;s virtue and left the city in ruin? I suppose either story is a good one,***8221; he chuckled.

***8220;You haven***8217;t told me your name yet, Friend. Or how you know me,***8221; Swollins said roughly.

***8220;Oh my apologies. Name***8217;s Sauter,***8221; the old man replied. Coombzy inhaled sharply.

Coombzy Bardic Lore:
Spoiler

***8220;The lovely lady sitting behind you is Hayes,***8221; Sauter continued on. ***8220;And this fine young man is Remy,***8221; he indicated to the masked man.

***8220;Why does he wear the mask?***8221; Swollins asked.

***8220;You know, I ain***8217;t never actually asked him that. Not that he***8217;d tell me anyway. Ol***8217; Remy here doesn***8217;t speak. Worked with him for years and I still have no idea what his voice sounds like.***8221;

***8220;And what sort of work do you do?***8221; Swollins asked bluntly.

***8220;Straight to it then, I knew there was something about you that I liked,***8221; Sauter laughed and took another puff from his pipe. ***8220;I am in the business of tracking down and bringing back wanted men. Women too for that matter, if I***8217;m being fair. It just so happens that my business has brought me here to you today. Now, I would like for you to tell me where I might find Lieutenant Prowell, his subordinate Illo, and a human mage named Ztir.***8221;

Swollins stiffened in his seat, glancing at the masked men guarding the door, then over his shoulder at the woman positioned behind him. She flashed him a cold smirk. A man sitting next to her, two empty mugs in front of him, leaned in close. ***8220;Hey pretty lady, what***8217;s a nice girl like you doing here . . . hic.***8221;

There was a quick flash of steel, a streak of red appeared across the man***8217;s thigh. She leaned in close and whispered in his ear. ***8220;Head outside and walk until that stops bleeding,***8221; her silky voice carried across the room. The man stood, his eyes glassy, and began to walk, dripping blood across the floor as he did so.

Havax had stopped fiddling with his dagger, and was now watching the scene with intensity. ***8220;I don***8217;t know who you***8217;re talking about,***8221; Swollins spoke.

The smile vanished from Sauter***8217;s face, replaced by a slight frown of disappointment. ***8220;Oh come on now, let***8217;s not play games. I know that these men are in your company. I know that you fought beside each other at Ogl. My interest is not in you, only them. Just tell me where I can find them and our business is concluded. Let***8217;s not overcomplicate things with matters like loyalty and honor.***8221;

***8220;What are they wanted for?***8221; Havax asked, certain that if this man knew who travelled with Swollins that he would know that Havax was a part of the crew as well.

Sauter glanced in the Drow***8217;s direction. ***8220;Murder,***8221; he replied. ***8220;Perhaps you***8217;ve heard of a noble family in Cravenia, the House of Opfor. Now a member of this family traveled to Ogl in the company of several of his household guard. Four of those men returned from Ogl, but their noble lord did not. That right there, well you see that upset the family because little Opfor was the heir apparent, and his father is not entirely pleased that his favored son died at the hands of his own men,***8221; Sauter explained.

***8220;And what proof do you have that it was murder?***8221; Havax inquired.

***8220;Proof isn***8217;t my business,***8221; Sauter replied. ***8220;Bringing in fugitives is. Lord Opfor Sr. hired us to find his son, and bring his killers to justice, dead or alive but preferably alive. So we ventured into what remains of Ogl and found young Opfor***8217;s body half buried under a ton of rocks. Now the trolls had taken a couple of bites, but curiously he was missing his hands, cleanly severed like. Trolls don***8217;t tend to cut limbs, they tend to tear them, and so whomever cut them off must have been a member of his own party. It don***8217;t take a detective, son.***8221;

***8220;That doesn***8217;t make any of them guilty of murder,***8221; Havax sneered.

***8220;Guilty or innocent, I don***8217;t particularly care much,***8221; Sauter retorted. ***8220;I***8217;ve been hired to bring them in, and I will bring them in. It***8217;s easier for everyone if they***8217;re dead, but I get paid more if they***8217;re alive. Makes no real difference to me, but Lord Opfor seems particularly keen to get them alive. Now the way I see it this can go three ways. You can tell me where they are, I***8217;ll collect, and everyone wins. You can tell me to **** off, I***8217;ll still find them, and only we win. You can interfere, we***8217;ll put you down too, still find them, and only we win. Now just to show you how serious I am . . . Remy?***8221;

The masked man, who had not moved since his arrival, stepped forward and tossed the large sack he held onto the table between Swollins and Sauter. It landed with a thud and rolled over, spilling its contents onto the table. Long blond hair, matted with blood, flipped and twisted as a severed head spun across the wood. It was well rotted and smelled something fierce, but there was no mistaking the face as Sauter swept aside strands of hair. It was Dmaul.

***8220;I present to you, the fourth member of Opfor***8217;s household guard,***8221; Sauter explained, his face now steely serious. ***8220;A ranger who did not wish to be found, and who chose not to come in alive.***8221;

Pics of the bounty hunters:
Spoiler

havax
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
190 - 03-09-2016, 15:54
I come to my feet and get into a battle ready stance to make it easier to draw weapons, and then quickly glance at swollins to see what he wants to do, but i do not draw any weapons just yet. i await swollin's decision.

coombz
VeteranXX
Old
191 - 03-09-2016, 16:30
I'm going to keep uncharacteristically silent while getting up and pointedly moving as far away from Swollins as possible, until I'm backed up right against the bar.

Once there I loosen one of the daggers sheathed behind my back under my shirt, and keep a watchful eye on proceedings, ready in case **** kicks off.

Harbinger
VeteranX
Old
192 - 03-09-2016, 16:50
Spoiler

Fool
Whiny BitchX
Contributor
Old
193 - 03-09-2016, 16:52
Oh I'm sure it's from something I've never played, don't really care, just a visual.

havax
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
194 - 03-09-2016, 17:57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post
Spoiler
yeah, lina so hot

Ztir
VeteranXX
Old
195 - 03-09-2016, 18:05
Seeing the man eyeing me has me a little worried. are there any secluded areas or hallways that that i can try and lure him to?

Fool
Whiny BitchX
Contributor
Old
196 - 03-09-2016, 18:25
None that you've seen. There are crowds everywhere and every door has order members nearby

Ztir
VeteranXX
Old
197 - 03-09-2016, 20:18
Is he the only one who notices me, and how close am i to the exit?

Fool
Whiny BitchX
Contributor
Old
198 - 03-09-2016, 20:21
He's the only one who has directly looked at you with a frown. You're not far inside the main doors.

Ztir
VeteranXX
Old
199 - 03-09-2016, 20:28
alright well i'll put my head down and try to pretend that i dont notice him. if he gets really close and tries to grab me or something i want to cast expeditious retreat and make for the exit

Goshin
GriftKingXX
Old
200 - 03-09-2016, 20:45
I'm going to get up, turn around and stay behind and to the side a bit of the masked guy. I also motion to hasken to do the same, on the other side

I point to where Swollins is in the Inn and cast Message at him whispering "outsssside, ready in cassse"

Page 10 of 46

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page D&D Lite Thread II: The Shadow of Death

Social Website Bullshit

Tags
goshin