Next expansion: Wrath of the Lich King?

Slobax

Veteran X
We'll see in 4 days at blizzcon, but sounds legit since from the evidence

Next expansion "Wrath of the Lich King?" - WOW Insider

It's four days to Blizzcon, and Boubouille, long-time source of quality information, thinks he knows what the next expansion is going to be called: Wrath of the Lich King. Obviously this supports previous information pointing to a Northrend-themed expansion, as Northrend is home to Arthas, the Lich King himself. The original post on the MMO-Champion forums claiming this to be the expansion name also asserts that there will be a new class: Death Knight! This seems to be less substantiated, but I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out to be true. Rumors aside, we'll almost certainly know for sure in just a few days. Are you excited? I am.

As far as the Death Knight rumor goes, the WoWWiki page lends a bit of support: apparently, Death Knight (as well as Necromancer) were originally planned to be classes in WoW, but didn't make it to release. Furthermore, there exists a green called Triumphant Shield of Shadow Wrath, which is confusing as no shield-using classes (Warrior, Paladin, Shaman) can use Shadow magic. This could just be an oversight in the random-enchant-generating code, but it could also be a hint at a Shadow-wielding, shield-using class...

Update: Over at MMO-Champion, they suggest that this is accurate because the link www.worldofwarcraft.com/wrath/ leads to a "forbidden" error, whereas accessing any other non-existent page on the site will give you a "not found" error. Continue to enjoy your rumormongering, everyone!

Update 2: Again from MMO-Champion, the title World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King was found on the web site of Usk.de, which is apparently the German equivalent of our ESRB (i.e. the agency that assigns content ratings to games). It seems to have a "12" rating; although I don't speak German, I assume that means "suitable for 12 and up."

The Death Knight stuff sounds pretty sweet, and lord knows they need a new class in this game if they aren't going to ever add Heroic Classes like they mentioned 3 years ago.

Heroic classes?
Do they plan on raising the level cap 10 levels every expansion?

I almost wish I could go to Blizzcon, just for an hour or two. It'll be interesting to see what info comes out of it.

Hero Classes were on the 'possible' list during beta and early release.

I really don't know why people are so fixated on the concept. It probably would've failed pretty hard. It'd be either be completely unobtainable by everyone but the most hardcore players (yet another 'lol raid or die' argument) or just another stupid rep/xp/grind thing that anyone could get.

Death Knights sound like a neat class. But if it ends up just being a shadow mage in plate, I'll be let down.

The only real 'evidence' there is for them is a random attribute mod on a shield.

I'm not holding my breath.

Sigh, heres hoping they offer some alternate way for arena'ers to level so I don't have to do another pve grind.

The only real 'evidence' there is for them is a random attribute mod on a shield.

I'm not holding my breath.
Did you read the whole thing? The german version of the ESRB basically rated something called "World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King" for the Lepzieg show demo

thumb300x_wow_wotlk_exp.jpg

Sounds pretty convincing, but we'll see in 4 days either way.

Last edited:
Did you read the whole thing? The german version of the ESRB basically rated something called "World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King" for the Lepzieg show demo

I think he's talking about the Death Knight "class", not the name of the expansion.

Maybe they'll open up Northrend as a continent, I doubt they'll add heroic classes. I mean remember when they said they would be adding siege elements/engines to BGs? :lol:

I'd laugh if they up the level cap to 80, take away all our rested xp and then double the xp to each level again. I'm pretty sure Blizzard felt players leveled too fast from 60 to 70.

Wrath of Chuck Norris would be better. Maybe Wrath of Mankirk's Wife.

It will be interesting to see how the new classes will work (if they actually put them in). Hybrid and dps classes already have a rough enough time for off specs and there is no chance either necros or death knights will be able to tank as well as warriors given the history of some of the devs when it comes to hybrids.

in the xpac, warlocks can wear plate and have instant no-mana cost no cooldown healing spells

Wrath of Chuck Norris would be better. Maybe Wrath of Mankirk's Wife.

It will be interesting to see how the new classes will work (if they actually put them in). Hybrid and dps classes already have a rough enough time for off specs and there is no chance either necros or death knights will be able to tank as well as warriors given the history of some of the devs when it comes to hybrids.

Honestly I don't think the game could handle another class. I mean the 9 classes aren't even remotely balanced at present, and the only "fix" Blizzard thought would work was give Alliance shamans and Horde paladins.

Given that another class will just much up the works even more. Fix what's broken before adding new stuff.

easier to add new stuff and hope everyone stops playing what is broken while at the same time declaring the broken stuff "balanced".

Yeah, I meant about the Death Knight class. I'm sure they've had another expansion in the works since they even released TBC.

Northrend is as good a place as any.

So what's going to happen after we kill arthas? Does this mean all the scourge of the world go away or something? The only thing more powerful than him is Sargeras himself, who's in limbo for like 1000 years or something right?

well they could do a Diablo 2 type deal where you travel to Sargeras's hell world prison and fight him there.

I really hope they don't make a new level cap, I fucking hate leveling sooo much, it's so bullshit..Because I'll get my hopes up, level really close then give up because there NO MORE FUCKING QUESTS...

But seriously I really hope they don't put more levels in....

i dont see how anyone can complain about lvling in wow. yeah its annoying as fuck, but even without quests its one of the easier games to lvl in.

Back