Go Back   TribalWar Forums > Current Gaming > World of Warcraft
Reload this Page taking wow (and mmo's) too far
Page 4 of 9
Patton
VeteranXV
Old
61 - 10-23-2006, 15:11
Good read.

I'm taking a break from the game starting tonight, until the expansion comes out. While this has been something that I could feel coming for a couple weeks now, this article kinda pushed me in the right direction. It's hard to continue playing WoW (especially when you can't actually DO anything) when your real life seems so much better by comparison. And that's how it should be.

Sponsored Links
Calder
VeteranXX
Old
62 - 10-23-2006, 16:32
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlodBath-VuP- View Post
A good raid leader really can't do very much in a raid if he wants to lead it competently. This is why raid leading is best suited for a mage or hunter much of the time, since you guys generally have the easiest job (except on maexxna and even then you screw it up gg).
Actually it was teh locks and hunters that blow on Maex nublar.

HaPpY
VeteranXX
Old
63 - 10-23-2006, 18:49
i thought my played of 23 days was a lot... and you guys are saying 70 is nothing..

Ztir
VeteranXX
Old
64 - 10-23-2006, 18:54
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaPpY View Post
i thought my played of 23 days was a lot... and you guys are saying 70 is nothing..
it isnt at all

bud
VeteranX
Old
65 - 10-24-2006, 12:04
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinigami View Post
Wait, wait wait. Did you seriously just say that getting drunk is more healthy than doing nothing?
did i say that? i never said that getting drunk is more healthy. my point was that doing nothing AND getting drunk are BOTH bad for you, but at least with getting drunk you'll have a story to tell.

Last edited by bud; 10-24-2006 at 12:08..
bud
VeteranX
Old
66 - 10-24-2006, 12:07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pagy View Post
after typing something like this, it really indicates your inability to grasp the issue or listen to the points that myself and others have made.

So i'm tapping out, you've offered nothing to progress this issue
i listened to your point, but i still think human beings are born as social creatures. maybe not everyone "likes" to be around other people, that doesn't mean complete isolation is healthy for them.

let me guess, are you the type of person that believes in the mass prescription of ADD medication on kids these days?

just because i disagree with you doesnt mean you have to tap out. and dont take everything i post literally, somethings i post are purposely lined with a grain of salt to get you people thinking

Last edited by bud; 10-24-2006 at 12:12..
bud
VeteranX
Old
67 - 10-24-2006, 12:10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamataKahn View Post
I'm sure that same beautiful female would think so too
you missed the point

you wouldn't have to explain yourself to a beautiful female because with tribes you can play for 2 hours at a time and then get up and leave. with WoW you're constantly stuck on your computer screen and you'd have to make an excuse to the girl for why you couldn't hang out. and "i'm playing a massive multiplayer online roleplaying game" wont cut it with most women

Ztir
VeteranXX
Old
68 - 10-24-2006, 12:35
Quote:
Originally Posted by bud View Post
did i say that? i never said that getting drunk is more healthy. my point was that doing nothing AND getting drunk are BOTH bad for you, but at least with getting drunk you'll have a story to tell.
depending on your circle of friends, you can have stories to tell about wow too

i'm not saying me personally, but just because you may be outgoing and party hardy doesen't mean everyone else is, some people actually play wow because they enjoy it

Pagy
VeteranXX
Old
69 - 10-24-2006, 12:46
Quote:
i listened to your point, but i still think human beings are born as social creatures. maybe not everyone "likes" to be around other people, that doesn't mean complete isolation is healthy for them.
And you're some sort of expert on this topic? Google "introversion"
You've done nothing more than mumble "friends good, alone bad" out of subjective ignorance.
Quote:
let me guess, are you the type of person that believes in the mass prescription of ADD medication on kids these days?
yeah this is really relevant.

What does the improper diagnosis of add have to do with video games? Unless of course you're suggesting that medical alternatives aren't always preferred or effective as modified environmental and social conditions through the use of understanding patients on a case by case basis.

So i guess your analogy does work; why are you trying to provide a prognosis for gamers different than you? Just because someone likes playing games more than watching tv with friends means something is wrong with him?

Checkmate?

Calder
VeteranXX
Old
70 - 10-24-2006, 12:50
in***8231;tro***8231;vert***8194; /n., adj. ***712;***618;ntr***601;***716;v***604;rt; v. ***716;***618;ntr***601;***712;v***604;rt/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[n., adj. in-truh-vurt; v. in-truh-vurt] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
***8211;noun
1. a shy person.
2. Psychology. a person characterized by concern primarily with his or her own thoughts and feelings (opposed to extrovert).

ex***8231;tro***8231;vert***8194; /***712;***603;kstr***601;***716;v***604;rt, -stro***650;-/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[ek-struh-vurt, -stroh-] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
***8211;noun
1. an outgoing, gregarious person.
2. Psychology. a person characterized by extroversion; a person concerned primarily with the physical and social environment (opposed to introvert).

Shinigami
VeteranX
Old
71 - 10-24-2006, 14:16
Quote:
Woo, a story! I'd rather have a healthy brain/liver than a story. Strange that, even though you claim to be more aware of what is healthy for us, you don't agree.

TseTse
VeteranX
Old
72 - 10-24-2006, 14:38
Quote:
Originally Posted by greydog View Post
http://soulkerfuffle.blogspot.com/20...-from-top.html

there's a "counter" article at the end, though I don't think it "countered" anything.

a ton of comments follow, from "man, me too!" to "qq more n00b".

all in all, he did well in describing the ugliness of mmo's addictive side. take from that what you will. it's OFN for anyone that's been playing since mud days, but perhaps it'll show something to those new comers that are slipping down the slope from "casual" to "hardcore".

"end game" in a game that never ends, nice oxymoron in one of the comments.
These games give us a fantasy identity with never-ending "achievements" to aim for. It's a game that imitates life's core human interests and motivations.

When i see people literally discussing their loot and gear for hours upon hours non-stop every day it makes me sad. These are "normal" people who's brains are more focused on fantasy stuff and fantasy achivements than anything going on in the real world.

I also get saddened when i see fathers really caught up hardcore.

On the other hand, there are fathers who play and dont seem to have ****ed up their lives. This is a whole new form of addiction and challenge that our culture and experience just isnt used to. We'll adapt with new language, tactics, self-helf industries and eventually media-driven "crisis" talk.

It wont be much longer before the mainstream media catches up to this type of stuff and it becomes a new "crisis" on par with al qaeda, no doubt. I mean, there are definately people ****in up their lives on par with being heroin addicts but it will be a while before we can even be clear on the real danger.

It isnt the game itself that's dangerous.

All these games do is provide a simple, controllable and more sane alternate to reality. That's the nature of the fun. Whether you enjoy ganking people or loot whoring, you're enjoying something that provides little achievements.

It's no different than counter strike, in that sense.

CS is the ultimate procrastination tool. It's like mine-sweeper. 3 minute rounds... repetitive. Simple. Gratifying. Bite-sized stupid fun.

It's different than most other human games tho, historically, in that the 'persistent world' element gets us so deeply involved and attached to these characters. We also have social attachments in the game. These combine into an entirely new phenomenon that i think folks since the days of Muds/moos saw as an unstoppable force in humanity.

I remember playing muds in 1991ish back in college. It was no different than EQ, WoW, etc. There were hardcore addicts (i was one, briefly, until my drinking and girl chasing desires crushed my mud desires). I remember talking with a housemate back then about this whole internet virtual reality thing.

We used to be like "imagine if this had graphics and was more interactive!!!"

We used to imagine what would happen if the gamers themselves had more means to build the community and the environment themselves, etc. But we also realized how addicting virtual reality was and was going to eventually become.

I see this as something that will honestly spawn a new generation of mainstream media, too. Somebody's gonna figure out how to bring this **** directly into the living room where entire families get hooked on "persistent worlds" and stories.

We're only just beginning.

Game designers are still learning how to develop compelling fantasy universes that are fully interactive and how to tell "interactive stories." Console devs are way ahead in this, obviously, but i think the future is definately in MMOs.

Now, if they can produce games where folks outside china and indonesia can literally survive by playing... look out. COngress is looking into how these games may or may not need to be rethought around the question of taxation. This is the first flash of interest, because these games will start to literally create their own economics on scales not seen yet. Folks will be dropping out of college, out of life... and surviving financially by playing these games... in greater numbers.

Basic game addiction is only the start...

PessimiStick
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
73 - 10-24-2006, 15:34
The level of stupid displayed in this thread by a few posters is astounding. (I'm lookin at you here, bud)

Pagy
VeteranXX
Old
74 - 10-24-2006, 17:57
Quote:
Originally Posted by TseTse View Post
When i see people literally discussing their loot and gear for hours upon hours non-stop every day it makes me sad. These are "normal" people who's brains are more focused on fantasy stuff and fantasy achivements than anything going on in the real world.
versus the 400 threads you've made about wow with regards to your multiple 60's, twinking, and gold farming?

give me a break

uno
VeteranXX
Old
75 - 10-24-2006, 17:59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pagy View Post
versus the 400 threads you've made about wow with regards to your multiple 60's, twinking, and gold farming?

give me a break
rofl no ****, i was thinking the same thing tsetse was saying when reading his pathetic to the maxxx AH thread.

Calder
VeteranXX
Old
76 - 10-24-2006, 18:00
VIRTUAL REALITY (AND NANOBOTS) ARE TEH FUTURE

Rouailtagh
Unregistered
Old
77 - 10-24-2006, 18:00
Sheesh, I'm going to have to read this article now to see what you bedwetters are crying about. This is almost as bad as one of my native realm WoW forums.

bud
VeteranX
Old
78 - 10-24-2006, 19:46
Quote:
Originally Posted by PessimiStick View Post
The level of stupid displayed in this thread by a few posters is astounding. (I'm lookin at you here, bud)
yeah, i'm stupid. now you go back to playing WoW, while i go live my life. i'm perfectly happy knowing that a bunch of WoW idiots dont like me or dont share my opinion.

Ztir
VeteranXX
Old
79 - 10-24-2006, 19:51
Quote:
yeah, i'm stupid. now you go back to playing WoW, while i go live my life. i'm perfectly happy knowing that a bunch of WoW idiots dont like me or dont share my opinion.
way to go from condecending to extremely defensive

quick! don't lose real life cred by getting owned by a bunch of nerds

bud
VeteranX
Old
80 - 10-24-2006, 19:54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ztir View Post
way to go from condecending to extremely defensive

quick! don't lose real life cred by getting owned by a bunch of nerds
yeah my real life is affected by what goes on here man.. .much like people who play wow think purples = RL respect

i'm not looking for acceptance from you people. just here to spread my word.

Last edited by bud; 10-24-2006 at 19:59..
Page 4 of 9

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > Current Gaming > World of Warcraft
Reload this Page taking wow (and mmo's) too far

Social Website Bullshit