ET - Quake Wars Mod: Tribal Wars

Updates are a bit sparse since I'm working on a new texture set for some of the interiors. We also threw together some project tracking software, so I've been fiddling with that lately.

I did get the terrain for our new map running ingame, so I'll take some screens of that along with some of the texture stuff I've been working on.

Any updates dude?

Project looks kick ass!

Just too bad QuakeWars seems to be dropping faster than Tribes Vengeance :/

I think it would be okay to share some more concept art we've mused on.

Tribal_Wars____Snow_Map___by_Neolight.jpg

TribalWars_Mod_Building_Assets_by_Neolight.jpg

Should have some mighty fine textured assets on the blog soon.

Last edited:
Ok that's it, you guys win art team award for conceptual Tribes 4. I like how that art still captures the starsiege tribes look and yet it looks updated and new. Very nice guys. Those pics make me wish it was a full out in development game.

We've been pretty solid with the concept art and we're working away at textures right now.

One of the biggest things we're getting through is the holiday crunch time for most of the team. A good number of us have been caught up with exams and holiday visiting and preparations. Some people are picking up overtime hours at work to make up for some visits to family etc...

It's mostly why there hasn't been that many blog updates. My plan is to have everything sorted out and organized with the project. I've been going over the remaining tasks and itemizing and entering them into a task manager system. When everyone gets back, It'll be easier for me to track the progress of everything, and it would make working with new recruits much easier as well.

As cool as it would be to deliver on all of those concepts, there's really no way we can manage to do all of that unless we get people pitching in with textures. We're focusing in on that 1st concept sheet that Neolight showed which is the map that I'm working on right now. There should probably be something to look at by the time the holidays are over.

Don't sweat it Arcanox. You and your team enjoy the holidays and good luck on your finals. No one expects or demands anything. At least I dont. You guys just hit everyone's sweet spot with the vid, pics and all :cheers:

God 5$? Not to complain about prices but,

782.jpeg

This game sold for more back in 1998, and it was over three years old + bundled with floppies!

Ok that's it, you guys win art team award for conceptual Tribes 4. I like how that art still captures the starsiege tribes look and yet it looks updated and new.

I feel the exact same way. I think the main reason (for me) that it captures the original Tribes 1 look is because Neo included a lot of artwork with open green fields and blue skies, and no apocolyptic-dark-rainy-shit maps that Tribes 2 did and Tribes Vengeance did.

I remember maps like Scarabrae, and Broadside that were nice and green maps with rolling hills and BLUE skies. Tribes 2 was dark and rainy or foggy, and when Tribes Vengeance finally had green clear skied maps, it was filled with destroyed buildings and wayyy to much vegetation and trees IMO.

I love the art design guys. I wish you the best of luck.

I love the art design guys. I wish you the best of luck.

Thanks. What I remembered best about Tribes 1 as a kid was jetting out of the bases in Broadside and Scarabrea and seeing those vibrant landscapes. I really tried to send myself back to those first few rounds and remember how it felt to discover the maps for the first time.

Other design influences were obvious choices. Earthsiege 1&2, Star-siege, mechwarrior, and a little bit of UT and Halo. Some of the buildings in those earlier games were interesting and fantastically simple. Actually, the addition of snow in Chthonic was inspired from the starting levels of Earth-siege entirely. (which turned out really well in Acid Rain and Arc's megatexturing IMO)

Last edited:
To be fair, that was less because of the art direction, and more because the engine sucked.

I'm a fan of both Tribes and Tribes 2.

Everyone knows that Tribes 2 had its faults at day one. But the bugs eventually worked their way out.

I like the blue sky maps of Tribes 1, I also like the dark rainy maps of Tribes 2. Strategically they both played out differently. Most of the dark maps had impressive underground bases anyways.

Perhaps if the Tribes 2 haters had moved onto Base++ and or Classic, Tribes 3 would have been made by the original Dynamix team and the development of Tribes 4 by Dynamix would be nearing a holiday 09' release.

Everyone hates one map or another. It's the server admins duty as to what maps they choose. It is nice to have a variety!

BTW I did buy Tribes Vengeance. Not that I liked the game, but to support what little was left of the franchise :/

It is a pity. If Tribes 2 had been released with classic physics and speed a lot more peeps from T1 would have accepted it even with the UE's and problems. The game itself was a great evolution on Tribes game design and it could be so fun for so many different segments of the Tribes fanbase.

When I first played Tribes 2 I didnt like it because the base physics felt so slow and the darker colors in the game kind of annoyed me and threw off depth perception a bit. But after the base ++, classic, cluster mods the physics were great and I got use to the darker colors. I always felt Tribes needed better lighting and colors (like the lighting in crysis in the project rise pics) but the physics to me are most important. And what Tribes game has hard boundries. That to me is a Tribes trait. Hard boundries at the edge of maps suck.

Too bad Project Rise and Tribal Wars are on different engines because both teams have a similiar vision and they look great.

Last edited:
Too bad Project Rise and Tribal Wars are on different engines because both teams have a similiar vision and they look great.

T2 was great, that's not the issue.
The issue was that it was Tribes but not. People wanted more T1.

As for Rise/Tribal Wars, they should combine and not do this different engine shit. Otherwise, we wont ever see either project come to completion and Legions is all we will have.

Back