Crom's T:V Impressions from GDC

Colosus said:
I have no control over when it releases. I'm desperately waiting as well.

Don't give me that crap, you've had a burned copy that you've secreted away in your love handles for months, and you're just waiting for a devious opportunity to leak it.

Now, I approve wholeheartedly of this heinous betrayal of trust your black heart is no doubt lusting after, but I must ask that you refrain from leaking it until the tail end of May. If I waste my grades away smurfing T:V leaked alpha servers as $JuLiA'sPiMp$ when finals come to call, I'll be doing so much GPA damage control over the summer that I'll never be able to participate in the beta.

i cannot wait to play it again...hopefully before E3, but if I have to wait til E3, so be it.

I cannot stress enough how impressed I was with the general gameplay of the game. Worry all you want about rep. kits and light-medium changes and so on, but if they get the CORE gameplay right (which, from the short time i played, i think they are), we will be able to mold it into whatever game we want.

i am genuinely excited.

Nicodemus said:
By doing these things, you are taking away from the "fun" and "skill" levels of the game. I'd even go as far as to say the game is ruined. Medium armor isn't for fudgeing capping. Its for farming. If a light is almost dead by one disc shot, the hell good will it be for? And no repair kits, what in sam hell? Jesus christ, so far I was extreamly happy with the way T:V was going and had a positive outlook on it. No longer do I have that view. You have ruined the game.

Well now that you know for sure that the game is gonna suck, I guess it's safe to say there is no more reason for you to post here. I'm happy to know that you and the rest of the people that know that removing the targetting laser from the game was the turning point at which the game started to suck will be leaving tribes talk and will only be posting in general discussion from now on. Take care and best wishes. It's a shame T:V didn't make it.

hopefully they will kill boosting OOB walls.

Also add some physic effect when going in water

and shootable flag.

T:V sounds someway T2 lakrabit2 ,) ...someway...

Last edited:
sLaM said:
The more I read, the more I personally get concerned. Not so much for the "success" of T:V, but moreso my excitement for it. Part of the fun of T1 was the speed. I'm not saying that T:V won't have speed, but no repair kits? No disc jumping in light? Does that just mean that lights will be near useless? Does that mean light d's and cappers will now default to medium? I know part of why I loved T1 so much was because I could spawn, disc jump and almost immediately be back in the action chasing the capper.

Too early for me to be judgmental without playing the current build, but the things I'm hearing don't really excite me. :(

That's my deal. I could really fudgeing care less if they get all these CS people playing it, if I'm not playing it. I wasn't real concerned before, but the more I hear about this game, the less I'm looking forward to it. If I wanted CS-, or UT-, or Quake-like action, guess what I'd be playing?

What the hell, TR2 was SOOOOO popular they had to bring its features mainstream? I liked it and all, but it was entirely different; I could always go back to CTF. Jump pads? OOB walls that bounce you?? Wow, that's pretty damn immersive. At least it made sense in an arena-type game like TR2.

I think that just maybe this game IS a UT clone. Pretty graphics and neat little gadgets will only go so far, and I could care less about that.

fudge.

Crom said:
Worry all you want about rep. kits and light-medium changes and so on, but if they get the CORE gameplay right (which, from the short time i played, i think they are), we will be able to mold it into whatever game we want.

Being able to use the light wasn't part of the core gameplay of T1/T2? I'm not interested in waiting for another game to be 'molded'. : \

I think that when grabbing the flag, having it leave behind that glowing trail will look badass.

I'm not so excited about the possible lack of a repair kit, though... imo if they leave it out that is a bad, bad decision.

But I can't judge totally until I play it.

It would be neat if the 'capping streak' could give you an idea of the speed the capper is travelling at. For instance (I haven't seen the streak) if it was made up of small balls/smoke puffs/sorta thing ... if you were going mach 4 then there would be lots of space between the balls, slower the balls would be closer together. It will give LD an idea of the speed if they miss the actual grab. It will also give chasers an idea if he is speeding up or slowing down.

If it is a solid line then maybe it thins out when going real fast ... almost like an elastic band being stetched.

Wulfen said:
Being able to use the light wasn't part of the core gameplay of T1/T2?

If the dominant non-heavy armor is called "light" or "medium" or "Susan", what's the difference? And I doubt the light is going to be completely useless.

how far away from the center of the maps are the oob walls? Did you have to travel a good way until you hit them, or were they within eye site of buildings and the flag?

Validuz said:
Okay, I haven't read the whole thread yet, but has anyone asked/noticed that he said you'd have to "hit your 4 key, or scroll through your weapons" to get to you "mine weapon"?

The point I'm curious about... is that I thought there was only 3 weapons, and normally WASD is default, with 1, 2, and 3 being your three weapons. So will the "mine weapon" be used like the targetting laser? Ya know... use it like an actual first-person weapon, but doesn't take up a weapon slot (like the TL)?

Deployables are carried in a deployable slot, which is like a weapon slot reserved for deployables. Then you deploy them like they were a weapon.

Shoddy said:
If the dominant non-heavy armor is called "light" or "medium" or "Susan", what's the difference? And I doubt the light is going to be completely useless.

Just like the medium wasn't useless.

As for the light armor/med armor deal, I don't see a problem. You still spawn in the dominant armor, and the dominant armor will still be good for skiing and fighting. Now though, instead of a shazbotty non-armor being between the dominant armor and the heavy armor, there will be an armor lighter than the dominant (useful for specific roles) and an armor heavier (useful for specific roles.) But in the end, the medium will be used by everyone.

CxD said:
how far away from the center of the maps are the oob walls? Did you have to travel a good way until you hit them, or were they within eye site of buildings and the flag?
the maps were not huge, but they weren't small. in the Ruined City map (wtf is it's name?) i travelled a little bit out of the city, then hit OOB.

So far, the 2 maps i played did not seem too big. the Lush Map was larger than the Ruined City, but neither were all that huge. Good sized maps IMO...not "epic scale" maps.

Wulfen said:
Just like the medium wasn't useless.

Can't happen. Stay home LD will still use the sniper rifle, and you have to be in the light armor to use the sniper rifle. Plus, if it is sufficiently mobile, you'll see people capping with the light armor anyways.

Lastly, because you can snipe with any pack, I forsee the HoF being healed by a light sniper carrying a repair pack. In addition, I imagine this light sniper healing random things like the satellite dish.

Zoolooman said:
As for the light armor/med armor deal, I don't see a problem. You still spawn in the dominant armor, and the dominant armor will still be good for skiing and fighting. Now though, instead of a shazbotty non-armor being between the dominant armor and the heavy armor, there will be an armor lighter than the dominant (useful for specific roles) and an armor heavier (useful for specific roles.) But in the end, the medium will be used by everyone.
this is how i see them doing it too. Medium becomes a more useful armor when it is the base...the Light is for speed capping, but you could 100% SURELY cap at high speeds in Med. You gotta keep thinking of Med. armor in T:V space, not T1/T2 space

Zoolooman said:
Lastly, because you can snipe with any pack, I forsee the HoF being healed by a light sniper carrying a repair pack. In addition, I imagine this light sniper healing random things like the satellite dish.

k i must agree this does make sense. damn there's gonna be a lot of different roles then...cool. i still think they should have a repair kit especially for the damn light armor if it gets damaged so heavily with just one hit.

Back