#tribes - operation help the newbs

PeaceKeeper

Veteran X
Since xmas there's been a bunch of newbloods coming into chat with various problems ... mostly thye are jsut missing the patch or something simple, but others are encountering bigger problems. PErhaps someone can shed light on these?

1) Not being able to spawn. In MP, they join a game, select a spawn by pressing 1 or 2 etc ... but nothing happens. They jsut stay there in the map screen. It's not tournament mode or anything. It doens't always happen, and seem to happen for htem on some maps and not others ... but I can't figure out why. At first I thought I had narrowed this down to clients only having 256mb of ram ... but I can't really think of why this would be causing a problem right at that point in the join process. I think all the textures etc are in memory by that point (right?).

2) Unable to instal the patch. First, that stupid update button is pretty useless. It directs them to download hte patch, but doesn't do anythign wiht it ... so the poor newbs keep downloading it over and over. Second, lots of people get about 40% through the patch installation then it fails. Any idea why this would be. Reinstalling the game doesn't seem to help, nor des getting the patch from a differnt location. And this isn't a beta instal problem either.

It seems that the vets around here shoudl be able to solve these problems. Maybe pack a few more people into the game. Any ideas?

BTW. Nice to see more ppl in the channel now. Thanks to LordV for the post a few days ago. Topped out at about 70 ppl in channel. not bad.

oh and for myself ... anyone know how to make hte game load faster? Running 2.55ghz wiht 1gb ram and 7200 rpm HD and it takes forever to load the darn game!

#1 is/was a common problem, there are several threads about it. You might want to snoop around those to find an answer.

#2 I don't recall hearing of, but do a search anyway. You never know. :shrug:

And long load times are pretty much a feature... you might want to try shutting down all programs that run in the background, but the only real solution is to get some more/faster RAM or HDD.

For the patch issue, I've had it fail on me once. I re-tried (without re-installing the game) and it worked fine. I suspect a secuROM issue is at fault, although I can't prove it. Suggestions: Make sure the game disk is in a non-burned drive if at all possible. Double check the disk surface for ANY imperfections (it got flakey during launch on me for awhile, then I noticed a little smudge on the outter rim. Cleaned that and it went fine). Update firmware.

The not being able to spawn thing is an identified issue. There's no workaround I've heard of. Thankfully it doesn't happen that often and the best thing to do is to spawn QUICK! I did notice that it seems to be releated to spawn points vanishing (rovers being blown up or territories exchanging hands). Again, I can't prove this... it's a suspission.

Last edited:
i've experienced the won't-spawn thing. Unfortunately it only happens occasionally and so i have no solution....

we need more nazi admins. and IP bans. IP bans are the shizzle.

and stilgar, i need +v in #tribes ;) hehe. jk. if you guys could, however, try putting some sort of topic in the channel to tell players to visit vengeancemaps.com for new maps to play. might catch 1/2 the new crowd or so... something to get word out about all the new stuff happening in the game. 90% of them dont have a clue about TWL or TW (i try to spread the word around when i'm in there) and it would really help them to at least hear about the places, because even if they dont become regulars on the forums, they can at least come to them for help on issues.

spawn thing and bad loading times have both been fixed for me....

Out with the AMD 1600+ and 384mb of ram...
In with the Intel 3.0 ghz and 1 gb of ram...

Seems to have solved both problems...

Now I can insult Calder with much greater speed AND aplomb!

You are all welcome.

PeaceKeeper said:
oh and for myself ... anyone know how to make hte game load faster? Running 2.55ghz wiht 1gb ram and 7200 rpm HD and it takes forever to load the darn game!

I never had any of the spawn in game problems. I will say I always thought the game loaded slowly, but some here argue thats due to slow memory,not enough memory or slow systems.

I dont have the beefiest system, but I know its probaly beefy compared to some new folks that may be using big brothers hand me down PC or the hand me down parts pc they junked together. Im currently running a P4 2.8C with 1 gig of crucial 3200 ram and a radeon 9800 128. Not slow, and the game still loads very slowly. Hopefully the patch will fix this problem. Crucial is not crap ram.

If some of you have anything below a Pentium 3 (especially the slower celeron) ,running XP or win 98 with 256 megs of ram or less your machines going to be chuggy slow. If you want the newest games to run well it might be time to upgrade to a P4 or the latest athlon (athlon 64 is the holy grail for the uber gaming rig), get rid of win 98 which is crap, get at least 512 meg of memory, and evaluete your vid card. Some of you with anything below Geoforce 3 cards will have problems.

Last edited:
real world example....

Amd 1600+ with 384 mb ram = horrible start up time...2 minutes or more + another 2 or 3 minutes to load map

P4 with 1 gig of ram = start up time of perhaps 30 seconds and 25 to 30 seconds to load map.

Spawn problem appears to be gone also. T:V is a much better game when you don't have to wait so long!

NetAtNite said:
real world example....

Amd 1600+ with 384 mb ram = horrible start up time...2 minutes or more + another 2 or 3 minutes to load map

P4 with 1 gig of ram = start up time of perhaps 30 seconds and 25 to 30 seconds to load map.

Spawn problem appears to be gone also. T:V is a much better game when you don't have to wait so long!

Even if some do have slower or older machines, Irrational needs to address the spawn problem in the patch. Sure maybe the game will load slower, but there is no reason that you cant spawn in the game if your computer can run the game even if it is slow.

Also for anyone installing the game for the first time, get the current retail patch 1.01, install it manually after you install the game fresh. Dont use the update feature in the game for the 1.01 patch.

click here to get the retail 1.01 patch for Tribes vengeance

Back