Click Here to find great hosting deals from Branzone.com

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > Current Gaming > Tribes Talk
Reload this Page Crom's T:V Impressions from GDC
Page 34 of 34
Father Ruckus
VeteranXX
Old
661 - 04-04-2004, 14:02
as long as i have the option to change my FoV i dont mind the loss of scripts (cept for auto flag call scripts )

Sponsored Links
black label
VeteranXX
Old
662 - 04-04-2004, 22:40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colosus
Open beta is going to be very interesting.

UberGuy (FT)
Veteran3
Contributor
Old
663 - 04-05-2004, 00:57
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaporTrail
Actually I think most of the scripts you mentioned do have an effect on a player in combat. Not a direct effect, like improving aim or anything like that... but being able to assimilate info quicker, or have automated tasks alows more time for careful aiming, or target scanning, etc.
This is probably a semantical difference, but as someone who has always run what most people would consider a preposterous number of scripts (in Tribes and T2), I would disagree. I cant think of how any of my scripts give me advantage in a one-on-one battle, and I consider myself an above average combatant - someone that really good players have to at least pay attention to. The one exception I can think of is that my scripts make sure my ammo and energy are still easy to perceive when I am tunnel-visioning on an intense engagement (most notably: HalAmmo playing a sound when my current weapon is running low).

I would agree totally that certain scripts give a good player a tactical edge on how to react to the battle as a whole. Carefully filtered combat status information allows an experienced player to make smarter choices. And of course various automation scripts provide an important speed boost to beleaguard turret farmers and base D. I am uneder the impression that much of this data will be available for creation of HUDs in T:V, which makes me happy.

UberGuy (FT)
Veteran3
Contributor
Old
664 - 04-05-2004, 01:04
OT: Say, isn't my Vet status b0rked? I joined 10-22-2000 but am Vet^2?

schu
Unregistered
Old
665 - 04-05-2004, 15:29
Just a quick question.. (Keep in mind I haven't played Tribes 1 or 2 in quite some time and I'm just now finding time to catch up on all the of the TV news)...

With the repair pack gone... how do you repair generators, turrets, etc? I've always had fun playing in a sort of engineer/base defense role but without a repair kit that role is effectivly dead... I can't say that was the only class I chose to play in Tribes but it was definitely my favorite...

Theta
VeteranX
Contributor
Old
666 - 04-05-2004, 15:33
Repair kit is gone, repair pack is still here.

The repair pack's passive mode is it continually heals you. The pack's active mode is it repairs everything around you.

Bistromatic
VeteranX
Old
667 - 04-05-2004, 15:34
the kit (wich is gone at the moment) was the thing that you spawned with and that gave you an one time health boost when used, the pack is still there, although it works differently than the old ones, you don't have a "gun" anymore that you point at things, but when you have it equipped it constantly heals you, and when you use the active function it heals everyone/-thing in your immedeate surroundings.

Edit: beaten to it...

Last edited by Bistromatic; 04-05-2004 at 15:37..
schu
Unregistered
Old
668 - 04-05-2004, 15:38
Great, thanks for the clarification...

Yogi
Tribalwar Staff
Old
669 - 04-05-2004, 15:50
That's enough with the colors.

UberGuy (FT)
Veteran3
Contributor
Old
670 - 04-05-2004, 18:06
w00t, complaining fixed my vet tag.

Darkfire
VeteranXV
Old
671 - 04-05-2004, 18:51
Bah, ive been here since 2000+2 or maybe another 1 on top of that and i aint got vet yet ;(

(this probably wont work)

Sojourn
VeteranX
Old
672 - 04-05-2004, 20:41
It lists your join date as 2003..

slogg
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
673 - 04-05-2004, 20:51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn
It lists your join date as 2003..
2000+2 and then another 1

Krytoss
VeteranX
Old
674 - 04-05-2004, 21:06
the scripts i used (numerous ones) were almost all for cramming as much info as possible around my reticle and at bottom-center of my screen, with the exception of one - a (very slightly) modified flag notification thing that flashes "RUN LIKE A jerk" in red and white letters when ive got the flag. i was finding that in doing HO runs to clear off the flag sometimes id actually grab and not notice, and when im light...well, it gives me encouragement.

Aly
VeteranXX
Old
675 - 04-07-2004, 18:11
I hope "jump and jet" isnt going to be perfect. I was very fond when I returned to some maps later on and noticed just how farther/higher you can get with an almost perfect jump/jet or even jump-disk-jet
For instance I can still remeber not being able to jet from base to base on broadside (yes with jumping) and later on it's not even worth a thought...

Zoolooman
VeteranXV
Old
676 - 04-07-2004, 18:16
Without a perfect jump+jet, newbies will be seriously, terribly, horribly disadvantaged.

And all because of something so simple that in former games, people sometimes scripted it out. If you want to go manual, they've kept it in the game (I know I will), but we should let newbies have their automatic.

Aly
VeteranXX
Old
677 - 04-07-2004, 18:43
I learned to jump/jet the first day of playing Tribes. But perfecting it really took time and you dont even notice your continius improvment much. Why should the automatic be better then a medium to good manual jumpjetter?

Zoolooman
VeteranXV
Old
678 - 04-07-2004, 19:21
Because the jetpack is the biggest part of Tribes, and if you can't use it well, you'll be sorely irritated with the game. If I introduce new players to T1 or T2, I always tell them to get a jump+jet script, because they simply won't enjoy the game until they can jump+jet well. Sure, this takes a few days, but these few days are the time period where they decide if they'll be playing Tribes a few months down the line.

I don't see why T:V - which won't have extremely good client side scripting - should be without that same feature.

Sojourn
VeteranX
Old
679 - 04-07-2004, 21:37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoolooman
Because the jetpack is the biggest part of Tribes, and if you can't use it well, you'll be sorely irritated with the game. If I introduce new players to T1 or T2, I always tell them to get a jump+jet script, because they simply won't enjoy the game until they can jump+jet well. Sure, this takes a few days, but these few days are the time period where they decide if they'll be playing Tribes a few months down the line.

I don't see why T:V - which won't have extremely good client side scripting - should be without that same feature.

Page 34 of 34

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > Current Gaming > Tribes Talk
Reload this Page Crom's T:V Impressions from GDC

Social Website Bullshit