ITT: I will answer questions about military equipment/history.

This is still going?

That doesn't mean anything. The majority of russian "aces" inflated their numbers shooting down bombers, while F-86 pilots shot down other migs almost exclusively. Even the most conservative estimates call the ratio at 1.3:1, which means in the end, we shot down more of them then they did us.

And it's comparing apples and oranges in trying to say one is better than the other. One was designed for turn fights, the other for boom and zoom. They both excelled at what they were designed for.
The kill ratio really doesn't matter. The Finns had a much higher kill ratio than the Soviets. That doesn't mean that the D.XXI is better than the LaGG-3.

And your second argument really doesn't make sense.
The F6F was a far better design than the A6M, yet they were built to employ entirely different combat tactics.

Overall, the MiG was the better design.
Not by much, but I would give it a slight nod.
(In Korea.)

But.. questions:

* What is your opinion on the Tirpitz Plan, and do you see any relevance from it with todays asymmetrical conflicts?

* Given that the US military derives such a significant portion of its strength from the money that is fed into it from the US economy, at what point does "the economy" become a military target? If a ball-bearing factory can be a military target because its output goes into military equipment, is it not possible for a bank to be a military target for the same reasons? A Stock Exchange? Any business which provides tax dollars which fund the military? Where is the line between civilian and military?

* With that, along with lessons in propaganda and management of public opinion from Vietnam onward in mind: do you draw a distinction between guerrilla warfare and terrorism, and if so, where?
*The Tirpitz plan was a perfectly reasonable course of action. It certainly was one of the precipitating factors of WW1, but Germany had every right to attempt to position itself as a world power.

*What constitutes a valid target really depends upon a conflict's RoE. Using the past half century's conflicts as a template, no, "the economy" is not a valid target. However, in a total war scenario, anything tied to the economy would absolutely be a valid target.

A total war scenario is unlikely, however, because it would result in a nuclear exchange.

*There's a line, but it's pretty fine and is more ideological than literal.
A man that bombs a train yard in order to prevent the movement of men and materiel is a guerrilla.
A man that bombs a cafe in order to inspire general fear in the hopes of prompting political change is a terrorist.

I think that to truly be a guerrilla, your actions must be directed directly against a military or political entity (or something directly related.) Terrorists try to enact military/political change via the general population. There's a layer of separation, but it can be very thin.

The USSR declared war on Japan AFTER Japan surrendered, so would the USSR have declared war at all had Japan not surrendered and fought on?
That's not true at all.
The USSR declared war on Japan on 8/8 and began the offensive that day.
Nagasaki was bombed on the 9th and Japan surrendered on the 15th.

Beyond that, the Soviets always intended to war with Japan. As was mentioned earlier, they were already at war in '39 (Khalkin-Gol.) Japanese expansion in Manchuria was unacceptable to the USSR.

EDIT: Also is the McCollum Memo proof that FDR provoked a war with japan to get the U.S. involved in WW2?
I don't know.

There's no question that everyone knew war was coming.

Why do you say that the YF23 is better than the F22 when the F22 is considered more agile? (As per the almighty Wiki)
Because it would have been far cheaper in the long run. Lockheed grossly underquoted the procurement costs for the 22.

Beyond that, certain aspects of the 23 were never finished, so its true performance capabilities were never developed. The 22 has the advantage of years of added development.

Agility also really isn't all that important at this point. LRMs can engage a 60+ miles.
Modern IR-guided missiles (Archer, AIM-9X, Python-4, etc.) can all literally turn on a dime and outmaneuver any manned aircraft.

I'm tired of typing now.

Guderian was a farce. He was a selfish and obtuse commander who pretty much took all the great thinking from other German armor commanders and very quickly wrote Panzer Leader and other books after WWII, before any of the true geniuses of the time did. It was adopted by the fucking US Army very quickly.

i would enjoy reading books that support this theory, post some

panzer leader was a great book and while self serving (though I imagine had rommel survived nazi germany he would have written a far better job of self promoting memoirs) i found it to be rather informative of behind the scenes looks at german (or any military really) intellectual isolationism. The bit where to old guard cavalary general scoffs and informs guderian that trucks are only good for taking bread to soldiers still makes me grin

Kura on a side subject; did you ever get involved in the HOI/HOI2 Modding scene (as in developed mods, not used, I know you've mentioned numerous times you've played with CORE) and do you see yourself getting involved in the ArmA2 and/or HOI3 mod scene?

i would enjoy reading books that support this theory, post some

panzer leader was a great book and while self serving (though I imagine had rommel survived nazi germany he would have written a far better job of self promoting memoirs) i found it to be rather informative of behind the scenes looks at german (or any military really) intellectual isolationism. The bit where to old guard cavalary general scoffs and informs guderian that trucks are only good for taking bread to soldiers still makes me grin

This is one written by old mentor (British Master) he will continually bash Guderian left and right. However, you have to understand that bashing Guderian goes against the grain, and the falsehood which established itself in modern armor culture in the 1960s.

Russell Hart - Guderian: Panzer Pioneer or Myth Maker?

It's a good place to start, I'll ask him for some other ones.

Kura on a side subject; did you ever get involved in the HOI/HOI2 Modding scene (as in developed mods, not used, I know you've mentioned numerous times you've played with CORE)
I debated it, but I decided not to. It was easier to let others do the work.

And I used HSR in HoI2.

and do you see yourself getting involved in the ArmA2 and/or HOI3 mod scene?
Probably not HoI 3.

Possibly Arma2. It really depends upon whether or not I feel anything is missing and just how much the scripting language has changed (I doubt it has changed much. Arma is pretty much the same as OFP. I went through and got up to date on the new functions a year or so ago and found myself right at home.)

So I may.
But I don't have any definite plans.

Battlemechs: yes/no?

madcat_real.jpg

This is one written by old mentor (British Master) he will continually bash Guderian left and right. However, you have to understand that bashing Guderian goes against the grain, and the falsehood which established itself in modern armor culture in the 1960s.

Russell Hart - Guderian: Panzer Pioneer or Myth Maker?

It's a good place to start, I'll ask him for some other ones.

any relation to lidell hart?

i enjoy him ramming indirect approach down my pee hole

I disagree. And no, the majority of the aircraft is NOT subcontracted to mostly foreign suppliers. The 767 is also a proven platform. If you think choosing airbus over boeing wont affect american workers, you are just being silly. Could you not foresee a time in the next 30 years where France and Germany may be opposed to what we are doing militarily?
Im not saying the proposed airbus isnt closer to the spec the usaf wants now... they changed the damn specs years into the development... which is why there is a rebid process.

Read dude! I never said the majority of our aircraft were subcontracted, I said a "lot of our military systems". It's already been shown that there is equal amount of US industry involved in both contracts. Regardless though, I could give a damn less if it's going to be the better system. We really need to stop this, LOLOLFUCKTHISCOUNTRY attitude when it comes to manufacturing things, unless ofcourse you don't mind our budgets exploding and taxes going up :p

Even if specs where changed years into dev, NG didn't have any "SUPERSECRETSQUIRREL" knowledge that led them to have some sort of advantage, a more flexible system was developed that happened to meet the needs of the USAF. Boeing is being Boeing, they pull a lot of stunts when it comes to military contracts.

Kura the seakings are being replaced with the Sikorsky H-92 Superhawk, carrying a General Dynamics mission package

I havent heard that.. at least not for US forces; I do know the Canadians picked it up for Shipboard Ops and that the USAF was still looking at it for SAR, but thats still in open competition with Boeing and AgustaWestland.

I havent heard that.. at least not for US forces; I do know the Canadians picked it up for Shipboard Ops and that the USAF was still looking at it for SAR, but thats still in open competition with Boeing and AgustaWestland.

Sorry I was responding to an earlier post regarding the fact that the Canadians still fielded them, they have however been replaced

Desert Storm was 18 years ago. And we haven't had anything like that since, except the initial invasion of Iraq.

It was quantified "since WW2" and my comeback was "wtf, what about DS?" or Korea for that matter? The Inchon landing was a pretty big deal.

This is still going?

The kill ratio really doesn't matter. The Finns had a much higher kill ratio than the Soviets. That doesn't mean that the D.XXI is better than the LaGG-3.

And your second argument really doesn't make sense.
The F6F was a far better design than the A6M, yet they were built to employ entirely different combat tactics.

Overall, the MiG was the better design.
Not by much, but I would give it a slight nod.
(In Korea.)

Wait, you trot out how the russians had the top #s, yet dismiss kill ratios? either #s count or they fucking don't.

In direct head to head fights, the F-86 killed MORE MiGs than MiGs killed F-86s. To me, that pretty much ends the debate. You can analyze turn rates, climb rates, max ceiling, speed, yada yada yada until you're blue in the face, but you're comparing two different approaches to a2a combat, and in the end, it comes down to who had the higher kill ratio. Period.

My argument in my first post made perfect sense to anyone familiar with a2a combat instead of someone looking at a spec sheet.

A lot of my professors have advocated me going into teaching.

The problem is that I cannot stand incompetence (dumb students) and I really have no desire to play politics. Though I would love the freedom to research whatever I felt like, which is really only an opportunity that academia affords.

I'd never get tenure, though.
I'd make too many dumb kids cry.

We need to get you a job at Jane's Defense Weekly or some strategy driven think tank

Are you aware of any unusually decorated or otherwise historically significant C-47 Dakotas? I am building a 1/14th scale model to fly , and haven't selected a final scheme. D-Day or Vietnam Era Gunship (Spooky) are obvious choices.

Thanks, and please right back! Love the show!

They have a Dakota at the Hamilton Warplane heritage Museum near where I live, If I recall its the most flown Dakota in the world with over 80,000 hours though its not historically significant in any way

edit on second though I think I was confusing DC-3 and C-47, the one they have a is a DC-3

edit: edit: NM apparently it is a c-47

http://www.warplane.com/pages/aircraft_dakota.html

Last edited:
Back