ITT: I will answer questions about military equipment/history. by Kurayami - Page 12 - TribalWar Forums
Click Here to find great hosting deals from Branzone.com

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page ITT: I will answer questions about military equipment/history.
Page 12 of 13
Kurayami
Banned
Old
221 - 12-23-2008, 20:39
It's nothing special, really.
It's a really simple design that evolved over 40 years.

Sponsored Links
--chaingun
VeteranXV
Old
222 - 12-23-2008, 20:41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurayami View Post
It's nothing special, really.
It's a really simple design that evolved over 40 years.
Aww

But it's so damn intimidating...I was on the North Shore of lake Superior years ago at some light house and a few A-10's flew by pretty low, the cannon on the front is hilarious.

Kurayami
Banned
Old
223 - 12-23-2008, 20:44
It really isn't that hard to make a good ground attack aircraft.

Just load it up with armor, make it as mechanically simple as possible, and give it good low speed handling characteristics. That's really all the A-10 is. Incredibly simple avionics as well.

The Su-25 is the same thing. Just even simpler (save for the Su-25T, anyway.)

Tanked
VeteranXV
Old
224 - 12-23-2008, 20:48
Can the plexiglass? canopy on fighter aircraft really withstand direct hits from 20mm cannon?

I think i saw that on a show about some russian fighter planes. But i cannot remember.

Seems to me that in order to get decent armor around the cockpit it would have to be so thick (especially the canopy) that it would be hard to see through.

Kurayami
Banned
Old
225 - 12-23-2008, 20:58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanked View Post
Can the plexiglass? canopy on fighter aircraft really withstand direct hits from 20mm cannon?

I think i saw that on a show about some russian fighter planes. But i cannot remember.
It's not plexiglass. It's some sort of composite laminate generally these days.

And yes, a number of aircraft have canopies rated for 20mm strikes. The Mi-24's canopy is rated up to 23, I believe.

Note that is just one strike.
10 in the same place would certainly penetrate.

And at the end of the day you have a lot less to worry about from AAA than you do from missiles.

TachikomaPilot
Veteran++
Old
226 - 12-24-2008, 08:21
Is it possible to carry by hand a real MiniGun a la Ahnold or would it be too heavy in real life (while holding the MiniGun ammo box)? Also what powers the spinning in the MiniGun?

Rooster!
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
227 - 12-24-2008, 08:31
How the Minigun (Chaingun) Works - The most powerful machine gun - Softpedia

72 lbs loaded out according to this article. So technically I guess you could...unbelievably impractical though in real life.

TachikomaPilot
Veteran++
Old
228 - 12-24-2008, 08:33
Also what is the best body armor out there and is Dragon Skin any good?

TachikomaPilot
Veteran++
Old
229 - 12-24-2008, 08:35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster! View Post

72 lbs loaded out according to this article. So technically I guess you could...unbelievably impractical though in real life.
Thanks dude, excellent link!

Ztir
VeteranXX
Old
230 - 12-24-2008, 11:33
TachikomaPilot is going to be in the news soon

apollod
VeteranXX
Old
231 - 12-24-2008, 12:41
Quote:
Originally Posted by TachikomaPilot View Post
Also what is the best body armor out there and is Dragon Skin any good?
Dragon skin isn't bad, but it has one unbelievably retarded flaw. Anything other then a direct 90 degree shot has a chance of skipping up underneath the "scales" and penetrating with little effort. Which is why the Army shot it down. But it has superior performance over interceptor with multiple direct shots.. so it's hard to say. If i was given the choice between interceptor and dragon skin, i'd probably wear dragon skin simply for the weight savings and slight bonus in flexibility, but it's a toss up with the safety.

cogzinofa
VeteranXV
Old
232 - 12-24-2008, 12:45
Quote:
Originally Posted by apollod View Post
Dragon skin isn't bad, but it has one unbelievably retarded flaw. Anything other then a direct 90 degree shot has a chance of skipping up underneath the "scales" and penetrating with little effort. Which is why the Army shot it down. But it has superior performance over interceptor with multiple direct shots.. so it's hard to say. If i was given the choice between interceptor and dragon skin, i'd probably wear dragon skin simply for the weight savings and slight bonus in flexibility, but it's a toss up with the safety.
so what you're saying is that it better overall AC, bonus to AGI, less weight, but increases the chance of enemies to crit.

cogzinofa
VeteranXV
Old
233 - 12-24-2008, 12:54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster! View Post

I take issue with this article.
Quote:
First seen in the movie "Predator" in 1987, and made even more famous by "Terminator 2", the hand-held Minigun has captured the hearts and minds of viewers everywhere, be it in games or in real life.

The very image of Arnold Schwarzenegger, spraying bad guys with a veritable hail of bullets that issued forth from his Minigun Painless was so powerful that the weapon has been seen in both countless other movies and in games.
"ol' painless" belonged to jesse ventura, not schwarzenegger. IIRC, I don't think schwarzenegger even used "ol' painless" in predator.

when schwarzenegger used a minigun in T2 he was shooting at cops and didn't kill anyone. does the author mean to imply that the police are the bad guys? how very unamerican.

apollod
VeteranXX
Old
234 - 12-24-2008, 12:56
Quote:
Originally Posted by cogzinofa View Post
so what you're saying is that it better overall AC, bonus to AGI, less weight, but increases the chance of enemies to crit.
that was a nerdy way of putting it.. but sure

dionysus
VeteranX
Old
235 - 12-24-2008, 13:36
Would the aleutian islands explain why when I was watching the Top Gear Polar Special there was a gunned down american fighter plane at the north pole?

Rooster!
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
236 - 12-24-2008, 14:27
Quote:
Originally Posted by cogzinofa View Post
I take issue with this article.

"ol' painless" belonged to Jesse ventura, not Schwarzenegger. IIRC, I don't think Schwarzenegger even used "ol' painless" in predator.

when Schwarzenegger used a minigun in T2 he was shooting at cops and didn't kill anyone. does the author mean to imply that the police are the bad guys? how very unamerican.
You're right...I think the original author confused it with this fairly iconic scene/picture of the movie

and Mac had the minigun for significantly more footage than Jesse Ventura even though it technically belonged to Ventura's character.

Dumpy Dooby
VeteranX
Old
237 - 12-24-2008, 14:35
Kurayami's military Q&A thread - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Dumpy Dooby
VeteranX
Old
238 - 12-24-2008, 14:37
Aww, it's marked for speedy deletion.

edit- wtf? it says it's marked for speedy deletion because it's too short. What a bunch of bull****.

Last edited by Dumpy Dooby; 12-24-2008 at 14:42..
TachikomaPilot
Veteran++
Old
239 - 12-28-2008, 06:51
Kura, the Jan 2009 Pop Sci claims that by 2037 the Air Force wants to replace the aging B-2 stealth bomber. Before that, they are need a "stopgap". Do you think that the Air Force is going to and should choose the Boeing-Lockheed Martin or the Northrop X-47 based Design? Also is it going to manned or unmanned? And finally, (still according to PopSci), Aviation Week says that the Air Force is implementing this system so that they can possibly work on a nuclear capable bomber. Do you see that as a possibility?

TachikomaPilot
Veteran++
Old
240 - 12-28-2008, 20:41
Also do you think that the military is going to adopt the missile destroying laser tech that the passenger airlines are trying out?

Page 12 of 13

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page ITT: I will answer questions about military equipment/history.

Social Website Bullshit

Tags
kurayamiwar.com