EVEMon - Character Monitoring/Planning tool.

Just in case you guys havent seen this, its a great character monitor/planner developed by someone in goonfleet and released to the general public.

It allows you to plan out skill training, calculate the advantages of getting implants, and is generally a really useful and well designed tool.

http://evemon.evercrest.com/

If you like it, throw a donation to its creator, I think that there is a donation button on the webpage, or you can throw isk to the creator's character, as a lot of work went into making this great tool.

edit- here is the link to the eve-online thread where it was released:
http://myeve.eve-online.com/ingameboard.asp?a=topic&threadID=333665

Last edited:
wow, never realized how cool this prog was.

Seriously, the guy who made this and the guy who made quickfit need to team up and make eve-fit.

Chikaze said:
wow, never realized how cool this prog was.

Seriously, the guy who made this and the guy who made quickfit need to team up and make eve-fit.

heh, yea

quickfit is half-baked, albeit very useful. i'd love to see a more polished and integrated "fit" with evemon.

id also like a database which will indicate what OPENS when youget a skill (i.e. what does ENgineering IV get you) in the sense of a tree.

TseTse said:
heh, yea

quickfit is half-baked, albeit very useful. i'd love to see a more polished and integrated "fit" with evemon.

id also like a database which will indicate what OPENS when youget a skill (i.e. what does ENgineering IV get you) in the sense of a tree.

The best way of planning is top-down in EVE, as in setting a goal and then finding out what prereqs that has and aiming towards them. Obviously, this requires a much greater amount of research, but it prevents the undirected progression paths many players employ.

And yes, EVEMon is one of man's greatest creations.

Found out that science 5 opens up a TON of skills...though most of them are research skills. (I have a need to acquire every single skill that's available to me)

And also I'm going to need to get RE 5...which is 15 days. Sigh...

Chikaze said:
I have a need to acquire every single skill that's available to me
This will prevent you from ever achieving greatness. Pick an aspect of the game you enjoy, and specialize. If you want to play the game a different way every once and a while, start an alt on a second account. You'll never get real good at anything if you have an internal need to diversify.

xi'Vexus said:
This will prevent you from ever achieving greatness. Pick an aspect of the game you enjoy, and specialize. If you want to play the game a different way every once and a while, start an alt on a second account. You'll never get real good at anything if you have an internal need to diversify.
This I don't doubt. I don't really care, though. I'm most of the way to where I want to be, and I'm enjoying what I'm doing.

I really should find out how to research stuff though.

Evasi0n said:
The best way of planning is top-down in EVE, as in setting a goal and then finding out what prereqs that has and aiming towards them. Obviously, this requires a much greater amount of research, but it prevents the undirected progression paths many players employ.

Umm, obviously...

But having a proper "tree" that let's you see branches you may not realize are there IS helpful. Frankly, while i realize focusing on Learning and a target set of skills is the name of the game... in your first month there's a shitload of skills and items to learn about.

The ability to see a "tree" allows newbies to appreciate all the things going on AND to also perhaps grab the many, many skills that can be a nice boost with just 2 hours or training. There are a lot of little skills most "hardcore" people totally ignore that you can train up to Level 2 very quickly and reap nice benefits from.

Likewise, a tree can help you make decisions. Not all decisions should be a matter of mere deduction based on requirements for an item/ship. If that were true... nobody would do Learning skills...

That's true; misinterpreted what you were saying before. I actually think I saw such a skill-tree a long time ago (maybe more than a year). I'll look around for it, but I'm sure it's outdated as hell now.

I'm a skillwhore as well. I won't necessarily ever use them, or train them past the initial plugging into my head, but I'll have them in my head just in case I do. Right now I have 127 skills, with 20 or so still in my hangar waiting for pre-reqs to be met.

giggle @ 127 skills

im a total n00b, but if some skill gets me a slight upgrade in something for like 80k and 30m-2h... so be it.

Evasi0n said:
That's true; misinterpreted what you were saying before. I actually think I saw such a skill-tree a long time ago (maybe more than a year). I'll look around for it, but I'm sure it's outdated as hell now.

how much have they changed the actual skill tree over the years?

when they change it, do they let people "undo" to adapt? That would piss me off if they made changes that effectively caused you to waste vast amounts of time.

TseTse said:
giggle @ 127 skills

im a total n00b, but if some skill gets me a slight upgrade in something for like 80k and 30m-2h... so be it.

how much have they changed the actual skill tree over the years?

when they change it, do they let people "undo" to adapt? That would piss me off if they made changes that effectively caused you to waste vast amounts of time.

Don't know if TW was playing EVE before the missile revamp, but the entire missile launcher skillset was completely redone. Previously, there were a mere 6 or 7 skills in the tree, and someone with 1m SP in missiles could be equal in relative power to another player who has 10m in gunnery. CCP broke down skills into sub-skills; for example, instead of having one skill that gave a 5% boost in damage per skill level, it would be reduced to 3% and another skill would be added that add the remaining 2%. Missiles weren't "nerfed" by this change, but they were made much more skillpoint intensive.

Such changes are VERY rare (but are always VERY much needed), and CCP gives plenty of heads up and chances to test it on Sisi. Drone skills were changed around recently (but not nearly to the extent of missiles), and the devs have said that a revamp of R&D agents and skills is likely coming up sometime in the future.

And no, skillpoint "undos" or "refunds" are never given, and I can't think of any reason why anyone would want one, even after such drastic changes.

Teflonatron said:
Call me paranoid, but should we really be using a skill website developed by somebody from Goonswarm?

well since you are my enemy these days, feel free to not use the tool ;) however, if you check the eve-o post regarding this that i linked, the goon has the source code available for any that choose to peruse it.

And do throw the guy some isk for his hard work, this is a fantastic tool.

Almost always, they simply add skills to the tree.

I have (had?) a gianormous pdf or jpg (forget which) of the skill tree. It was like 3 pages by 6 pages or so. Tons of lines running back and forth across it, and it only had skill names, no descriptions.

It's from before the castor patch...

eve-skilltree_castor.gif

Now, if evemon had a view like this, but would highlight what you've got completed and grey out what you haven't, it would be superb.

Back