If there were a Tribes remake, would realistic terrain be better?

All Tribes sequels (and Midair from the PAX video) use overly smooth and "bowl" shaped terrains to compensate for their shitty sky physics. Tribes 1 did have some smooth maps but it it also had some not so smooth ones as well. (within their limits of heightmap resolution)

If Hirez (or anyone really) were to make a T1 remake with better graphics would you also want more realistic terrain? It would make skiing more challenging but the graphics could be a lot better.

thats not what the spergs want

they want to be able to hold down spacebar and hope for the best, while using their invisible classes and hitscan weapons... it is a joke

As far as i understood what r u talking about the 2nd paragraph contradicts tribe logic because harsh terrain requires more skill than smooth (realistic) one.

It is true that smooth terrain that tribe sequels had is more realistic and prettier but t1 terrain (and physics) is so deep it goes beyond graphical realism. Not only you cannot graphically remake t1 with smooth terrain because it would change game so much u couldnt consider it to be just graphical remake, but harsh low-poly terrain can also be considered its own artistical style and would actually work p good with other high-poly models (ever seen ultra hq quake, doom, heretic, hexen, unreal remakes where maps are still low poly original like? They look fantastic). All in all terrain shapes must not be changed.

Last edited:
As far as i understood what r u talking about the 2nd paragraph contradicts tribe logic because harsh terrain requires more skill than smooth (realistic) one.

It is true that smooth terrain that tribe sequels had is more realistic, but t1 terrain (and physics) is so deep it goes beyond graphical realism. Not only you cannot graphically remake t1 with smooth terrain because it would change game so much u couldnt consider it to be just graphical remake, but harsh low-poly terrain can also be considered its own artistical style and would actually work p good with other high-poly models.

I see and understand completely what you are saying, but I may have raised my question wrong or not provided enough details.

When I say smooth terrain I am not talking about sequels being smoother because of higher heightmap resolutions. I am talking about the sequels purposely making the maps smooth and bowl shaped in order to compensate for shitty ski physics (most notably this occurred in Ascend but you can also clearly see it in the MidAir PAX video)

What I am trying to say is if instead of using the improved heightmap resolution to make a buttery smooth terrain, they used it for better graphics.

Take this image for example, surely more realistic but would making sking very difficult.
1278634848_5.jpg

I pray to god that Hirez has nothing to do with a T1 remake or any future tribes games.

As far as "realistic" graphics go, I don't think it suits tribes very well. Realistic graphics are great for single player games and games that don't have much motion to them. But I'd rather see tribes in a more arcade/cartoon look, but with some style to it. Visual clarity is very important and realism usually means poor vision.

With smooth vs jagged, there is nothing wrong with smooth terrain, the problem is map design. Tall, smooth hills with large amounts of flat terrain in between is a very poor design imo. Terrain should very rarely flatten out. There should always be a valley/slope/bump to keep the terrain flowing. Tall hills should be limited too. Maps like Katabatic in ascend come to mind when I think of tall hills making the map incredibly boring. You spawn low on Katabatic and both sides have tall hills next to the bases. The terrain in between the bases and the hills doesn't give you any opportunities to gain enough speed to make it to the top without a boost. So rather than the hills becoming a major play into routes and the speed of the map, they are large spaces that players have to avoid to gain/maintain speed. The hills channel routes around the hills or through the valley and make the majority of routes to and from each base a flat line rather than a bee line if you know what I mean. It's simply not fun to ski.

^ ^ that would be totally cool for new maps imo, but i dont think original tribes maps should be remade because they have been like this for a very long time and all players that know specific bumps on the map would have to re-learn t1.

the next tribes game should have little floating orbs of happiness instead of flags

and players try to capture as many of them as they can

and nobody can take it from you

the next tribes game should have little floating orbs of happiness instead of flags

it should have little floating hearts so u capture ur enemy heart and then we love and embrace love and we are happy and go hand in hand towards our future of peace and freedom together with love in our hearts and freedom in our soul

I see and understand completely what you are saying, but I may have raised my question wrong or not provided enough details.

When I say smooth terrain I am not talking about sequels being smoother because of higher heightmap resolutions. I am talking about the sequels purposely making the maps smooth and bowl shaped in order to compensate for shitty ski physics (most notably this occurred in Ascend but you can also clearly see it in the MidAir PAX video)

What I am trying to say is if instead of using the improved heightmap resolution to make a buttery smooth terrain, they used it for better graphics.

Take this image for example, surely more realistic but would making sking very difficult.
1278634848_5.jpg

so flat ground with a big mountain in the middle
uhhh

TribalWar: We`re dreaming of a red Christmas.

Click Here to find great hosting deals from Branzone.com
User CP Subscriptions Wiki Post NEWS Amazon Members List Rules Search Quick Links

Go Back TribalWar Forums > Current Gaming > Tribes Talk
Reload this Page If there were a Tribes remake, would realistic terrain be better?
Welcome, darkpiece. | Log Out
You last visited: 11-24-2015 at 03:28 PM
Private Messages: Unread 0, Total 244.

AllTheDerp
Old
1 - 11-22-2015, 04:53 PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message
All Tribes sequels (and Midair from the PAX video) use overly smooth and "bowl" shaped terrains to compensate for their shitty sky physics. Tribes 1 did have some smooth maps but it it also had some not so smooth ones as well. (within their limits of heightmap resolution)

If Hirez (or anyone really) were to make a T1 remake with better graphics would you also want more realistic terrain? It would make skiing more challenging but the graphics could be a lot better.
e-Popularity: 0
AllTheDerp is offline Report AllTheDerp
darkpiece
VeteranX
Old
2 - 11-22-2015, 05:14 PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message
thats not what the spergs want

they want to be able to hold down spacebar and hope for the best, while using their invisible classes and hitscan weapons... it is a joke

Welcome 2 tribes talk
e-Popularity: 1062
darkpiece is online now Report darkpiece
D4M45T3R
Veteran³
Old
3 - 11-22-2015, 05:28 PM

It is true that smooth terrain that tribe sequels had is more realistic and prettier but t1 terrain (and physics) is so deep it goes beyond graphical realism. Not only you cannot graphically remake t1 with smooth terrain because it would change game so much u couldnt consider it to be just graphical remake, but harsh low-poly terrain can also be considered its own artistical style and would actually work p good with other high-poly models (ever seen ultra hq quake, doom, heretic, hexen, unreal remakes where maps are still low poly original like? They look fantastic). All in all terrain shapes must not be changed.

List of graphical bugs & improvements for 1.4:
SpoilerShow
e-Popularity: 428
D4M45T3R is online now Report D4M45T3R
Last edited by D4M45T3R; 11-22-2015 at 05:38 PM.
AllTheDerp
Old
4 - 11-22-2015, 05:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by D4M45T3R View Post

It is true that smooth terrain that tribe sequels had is more realistic, but t1 terrain (and physics) is so deep it goes beyond graphical realism. Not only you cannot graphically remake t1 with smooth terrain because it would change game so much u couldnt consider it to be just graphical remake, but harsh low-poly terrain can also be considered its own artistical style and would actually work p good with other high-poly models.

e-Popularity: 0
AllTheDerp is offline Report AllTheDerp
Laughing-Stork
VeteranX
Old
5 - 11-22-2015, 06:02 PM
I pray to god that Hirez has nothing to do with a T1 remake or any future tribes games.

As far as "realistic" graphics go, I don't think it suits tribes very well. Realistic graphics are great for single player games and games that don't have much motion to them. But I'd rather see tribes in a more arcade/cartoon look, but with some style to it. Visual clarity is very important and realism usually means poor vision.

With smooth vs jagged, there is nothing wrong with smooth terrain, the problem is map design. Tall, smooth hills with large amounts of flat terrain in between is a very poor design imo. Terrain should very rarely flatten out. There should always be a valley/slope/bump to keep the terrain flowing. Tall hills should be limited too. Maps like Katabatic in ascend come to mind when I think of tall hills making the map incredibly boring. You spawn low on Katabatic and both sides have tall hills next to the bases. The terrain in between the bases and the hills doesn't give you any opportunities to gain enough speed to make it to the top without a boost. So rather than the hills becoming a major play into routes and the speed of the map, they are large spaces that players have to avoid to gain/maintain speed. The hills channel routes around the hills or through the valley and make the majority of routes to and from each base a flat line rather than a bee line if you know what I mean. It's simply not fun to ski.

I stream T1 PU/PUBS @ twitch.tv/storksoofly
e-Popularity: 375
Laughing-Stork is offline Report Laughing-Stork
D4M45T3R
Veteran³
Old
6 - 11-22-2015, 06:21 PM
^ ^ that would be totally cool for new maps imo, but i dont think original tribes maps should be remade because they have been like this for a very long time and all players that know specific bumps on the map would have to re-learn t1.
e-Popularity: 428
D4M45T3R is online now Report D4M45T3R
bugs_
Veteran++
Old
7 - 11-22-2015, 09:31 PM
Very high resolution terrain could be drawn underneath a transparent "anti grav" ski terrain layer.
e-Popularity: 58
bugs_ is offline Report bugs_
hyung
VeteranX
Contributor
Old
8 - 11-22-2015, 10:06 PM

e-Popularity: 1328
hyung is online now Report hyung
Exodus
VeteranX
Old
9 - 11-22-2015, 11:26 PM
Mostly all complete jibberish shit to me.

SMOKE UP
Bud Smokers Only
e-Popularity: 720
Exodus is offline Report Exodus
vamp
Old
10 - 11-23-2015, 01:10 AM
is it on earth? lets just say its some alien planet with weird hills

there, fixed
e-Popularity: 3
vamp is offline Report vamp
Exodus
VeteranX
Old
11 - 11-23-2015, 02:03 AM

e-Popularity: 720
Exodus is offline Report Exodus
mariejane
Veteran++
Contributor
Old
12 - 11-23-2015, 05:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyung View Post

can I buy floating orbs of happiness in the ingame store?
e-Popularity: 69
mariejane is offline Report mariejane
lemon
Sour++
Contributor
Old
13 - 11-23-2015, 09:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariejane View Post
there was an early beta leak and someone already bought all the floaty orb

e-Popularity: 4030
lemon is offline Report lemon
darkpiece
VeteranX
Old
14 - 11-23-2015, 10:08 AM
Quote:

opsayo will u berate me 4 bad play in midare?
ghostfacekilla
Old
15 - 11-24-2015, 10:08 AM
Quote:

it should have little floating hearts so u capture ur enemy heart and then we love and embrace love and we are happy and go hand in hand towards our future of peace and freedom together with love in our hearts and freedom in our soul
e-Popularity: 9
ghostfacekilla is offline Report ghostfacekilla
Dutch
VeteranXV
Old
16 - 11-24-2015, 12:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllTheDerp View Post

so flat ground with a big mountain in the middle
uhhh
e-Popularity: 373
Dutch is online now Report Dutch
darkpiece
VeteranX
Old
17 - 11-24-2015, 12:41 PM
dsggsadg

dsgshfd54141rrexexexexexe xexexexexex
hyung
VeteranX
Contributor
Unread
18 - 11-24-2015, 03:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariejane View Post
no

money can't buy happiness
e-Popularity: 1328
hyung is online now Report hyung

Moderation
Go (0)

Go Back TribalWar Forums > Current Gaming > Tribes Talk
Reload this Page If there were a Tribes remake, would realistic terrain be better?
Quick Reply

Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Link
Insert Image

Wrap
tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size

Options
Show your signatureQuote message in reply?
Post Quick Reply Go Advanced

Social Website Bullshit
Become a Fan of TribalWar on Facebook
Follow @TribalWarForums

Edit Tags Tags
None