America: The no-vacation nation.

How much more money would we have for social programs if Canada actually had a military that the US could rely on instead of vice versa?

I mean, sure, you guys get to sit around and 'not start shit' while we are shitkicking brown people but lets be honest, someone has to.

blah blah.

I seriously question any 'study' that says people prefer working more than having more vacation... (aka, the person being asked probably fears their employers will be able to see their responses).

As the more developed nations move away from a production based economy towards 'knowledge' workers... the emphasis nurturing those values needs to shift with it.

Burning out employees works fine if you just need a warm body to shovel coal into a cart. It doesn't work nearly as well if you're relying on employees for higher thinking and creativity.

Canada is ahead of the US.

We've had this thread already.

Canada is everything the US is, plus so much more - because the US shoulders all the costs of protection/etc/etc.

We don't need a military, all that other shit, because you goofballs pay for it. We're happy just to let you be the big strong brother dude while we focus our budgets on things that matter to citizens.

Thus we're like the US, +healthcare, +lax drug/liquor laws, +international popularity, +hotter/less fat women, etc.

dear Americuhns

1- head out of ass
2- buy gun
3- kill yourself lmao

So basically your entire country is equal to the worthless subhumans that sit around and pump out babies, never working for themselves, and live off of "big brother's" checks?

You're proud of the most retarded shit and probably one of the most delusional posters here. Hurry up and get on your plane. No one here enjoys reading your nonsense.

i have a solid engineering job, and the only time people care if you take off is when we have a fuckload of shit going on

i have 3 weeks to use a year, and we also get paid OT when on salary

i'll take a week a year and then save the rest in case i need it, but i'll usually take time off around every holiday to make them 4 day weekends

blah blah.

I seriously question any 'study' that says people prefer working more than having more vacation... (aka, the person being asked probably fears their employers will be able to see their responses).

As the more developed nations move away from a production based economy towards 'knowledge' workers... the emphasis nurturing those values needs to shift with it.

Burning out employees works fine if you just need a warm body to shovel coal into a cart. It doesn't work nearly as well if you're relying on employees for higher thinking and creativity.
well, i am one of those people who do actually enjoy working. at times, i fear the word retirement as i have seen my grandfathers start drinking heavily after retiring due to pure boredom. that being said, i would like to take a whole 2 weeks off at a time and i mean no logging in or anything.

also, your comment about "knowledge" workers is rather interesting as i just heard Michio Kaku talking about this.

DR. MICHIO KAKU: Well, if you take a look at the world economy, you realize that capitalism itself, as told to me by the 300 scientists that I’ve interviewed, capitalism is making the transition from commodity-based capital to intellectual capital. Tony Blair liked to say that England derives more revenue from rock music than it does from the coal mining industry. So, commodities can be mass-produced. Food, for example, gets cheaper every year. This morning you had breakfast that the King of England could not have had a hundred years ago. But it’s intellectual capital, creativity—movies, books, television programs, software, science, leadership, creativity—these are things that cannot be done by robots, cannot be done by machines. And they will be prized commodities of the future, intellectual commodities rather than material commodities.
[.....]
If you simply take a map of the world and ask, "Which countries are investing only in commodity capital?" those countries will be poor in the future, because every year commodities get cheaper and cheaper and cheaper. Now, China, for example, understands that. They’re using cheap labor, commodities, to leverage intellectual capital. They’re sending their finest scientists to the United States, where I see them. Fifty percent of Ph.D. students of the United States are foreign-born, many of them Chinese. So the Chinese are making this transition from commodity capital to intellectual capital. But how many countries are doing that? You begin to realize that a lot of countries are staking everything on food, everything on agriculture. And yet, food gets cheaper every year. And so, it means that a lot of countries will be doomed to poverty if they simply maintain the fact that commodities is their source of wealth.

I have 30 vacation days + 9 national holidays (Germany)

In Australia the standard is 20 annual leave days and I think 13 public holidays.

We also receive 'Long Service Leave' after 10 years - which is either 8 or 10 paid weeks off, and every five years after that we earn around 4-5 weeks on top of everything else. Obviously that's with continued employment.

Most companies give 5-10 sick (personal) leave days per year as well, which are cumulative.

I currently have 3 months of sick leave I could take. If only I actually needed it.. my average is 1 day per year, 2 at most.

I need to break a bone..

I can collect up to 27 vacation days currently at my work until I work another year and should go up even higher. I actually just took 2 weeks off to see my family in europe and to have some post-traveling down time.

But it is true, come back to work and always find a crap ton of it waiting for you which makes it hard to even want to take the time off to begin with.

Well, the one thing I am curious about is that if, as Obi claims, the US is so awesome to live in if you're rich, why he wouldn't love living in the US? I thought he is such a baller and is always making fun of poor people.

i like how people are responding seriously in a thread about working to a kid who has never worked a day in his life

oh come now
we have another thread where people are replying seriously to a 23 year old who is a 'relationship expert'

well, i am one of those people who do actually enjoy working. at times, i fear the word retirement as i have seen my grandfathers start drinking heavily after retiring due to pure boredom. that being said, i would like to take a whole 2 weeks off at a time and i mean no logging in or anything.

also, your comment about "knowledge" workers is rather interesting as i just heard Michio Kaku talking about this.

I'm not questioning that people enjoy 'working'.

I just seriously doubt that the majority of people would pick "Work 3 extra weeks" over "Vacation 3 extra weeks".

People do enjoy being 'busy', but not for the 95% of their adult life that isn't spent sleeping or eating (mandatory).

we also work 40 hours a week, but spend half the time on facebook

so there you go

BINGO

Study after study bears out that Americans are some of the least productive workers int he world, as a group they have nothing to bitch about with the vacation thing.

BINGO

Study after study bears out that Americans are some of the least productive workers int he world, as a group they have nothing to bitch about with the vacation thing.

:huh:

FACT CHECKER TO THE RESCUE!!

List of countries by GDP (PPP) per hour worked - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Country GDP (PPP)
per hour 2009 Rank
Norway 76.8 1
Luxembourg 74.5 2
Netherlands 59.1 3
United States of America 59.0 4
Belgium 58.5 5
France 54.7 6
Ireland 54.0 7
Germany 53.5 8
Austria 51.9 9
Australia 51.6 10
United Kingdom 50.8 11

the only thing the US/Canada has over Europe (and this is actually a huge deal for me, and probably for other people) is space

lots and lots and lots of space

space everywhere

big cars and big houses

parking

wide roads

I will concede that because it's the only thing keeping me in Canada even now

Shit, you carried on nerdraging about this for another 3 hours after I went to bed, I can't keep up. Was that a complete day of raging there, Obi, or did you do anything else with your day that could be considered productive?

I mean, apart from being baller in your moms basement that is.........

Back