[5v5 Arena] Does anyone here run 4 DPS? If so, how do you lose?

9er

Veteran X
My team is gearing up currently in the 1800s. Last night we played a lot of 4 DPS teams, and got destroyed most of the time.

We run:

Holy Paladin
Holy Paladin
Frost Mage
Demonology Warlock
MS Warrior

These teams were usually Shadow Priest/UA Warlock/Rogue/Hunter/Druid or something similar. They're able to bring our Warrior down pretty fast, and with that, we lose too much of our DPS.

So my questions are: Who here runs 4 DPS, or has experience with 4 DPS? How do teams similar to mine beat you? What do we have to do?

Thanks in advance!

take out a holy paladin, put a holy priest in.
take out the demonology warlock and put a elemental shaman in.

boom botta bing your running a 2345 group.

If you can't swap out players, then make the warrior turtle right off the bat and just apply MS to a player you guys are focusing. your warlock really shouldn't be demonology in 5's....

main thing against 4 dps is team is their initial burst. after the burst they either slump off and get sloppy on cc's or just can't keep consistent damage going. what i suggest is that you take out a paladin for sure... after bubble they are open to any form of cc in the game.

I run 4dps on all of my seller teams and our main charter, and the only thing that really beats us is an excellent 2345 (frost mage, ele shaman, warrior, priest, pally) setup or a 4 dps team that uses 2 frost mages. Poly/CC in general is the key to beating 4 dps.

We always start off on the warrior, and if he's smart he goes to D-stance/shield/spam spell reflect but we keep on him until he's 100% topped out and then we go at the paladin.

My team is rogue (myself), frost mage, ele shaman, shadow priest, paladin. The key to beating us is focusing the not so likely targets (paladin, ele shaman). Even though focusing the shadow priest seems like a no brainer, his dots are usually applied on our main target anyways so his job is done. If you're on the paladin he can't do shit to help us outside of his DS, and then he's a paladin so he drops like nothing. Or if you go on the ele shaman he literally can't do anything except purge (maybe, most likely spam healing himself) due to spell push backs and interrupts.

My team is gearing up currently in the 1800s. Last night we played a lot of 4 DPS teams, and got destroyed most of the time.

We run:

Holy Paladin
Holy Paladin
Frost Mage
Demonology Warlock
MS Warrior

These teams were usually Shadow Priest/UA Warlock/Rogue/Hunter/Druid or something similar. They're able to bring our Warrior down pretty fast, and with that, we lose too much of our DPS.

So my questions are: Who here runs 4 DPS, or has experience with 4 DPS? How do teams similar to mine beat you? What do we have to do?

Thanks in advance!

Your warrior has to be ready for the burn. Switch to defensive and shield reflect as soon as the rogue is on him. Whoever the rogue is on is most likely the target. Pretty much all 4 dps teams rely on their cooldown, if you can survive thru it, its a win so play defensively the first minute of the match. Make sure your mage, locks and 2 paladins use their CC abilities to stop as much dps as possible.

I'm in a 2 warrior, 1 shaman, 2 paladin team and we pretty much run over most 4 dps teams since most of the times they can't keep up with our healing and our dps doesn't need mana.

Holy Paladin
[strike]Holy Paladin[/strike] Priest
Frost Mage
Demonology Warlock
MS Warrior

This composition requires much more skill than many others. It's strength is about being balanced for survival. It's strength is suppression, not burning. EVERYBODY in your team needs to stop and understand this, starting with the warrior. The weakness is... well... it requires insanely good coordination to have the burst you need at many times. Folks need to be clear on what to do.

Your goal oughta be to get control and initiative at the start. Mage and warlock must communicate well. Start of trying to suppress their dps, not even worrying about the healer. PISS THEM OFF. Save your CDs for about 15-20s in.

Lock fears mage, CoT on all casters. Be careful with dots.
Mage sheeps warrior. Holds back on pet, etc.
Warrior smacks a priest or secondary target.
Your priest mana drains weak link.
Your pally supports.

See?

Warrior jumps on primary target about 10-15s in... and as he starts to get his dmg rolling, you make line them up for a burst.

Before CC starts going immune, you switch CC. Lock fears/CoTs their healer. Mage sheeps somebody else (perhaps the other mage). Priest mana drains, dispells and heals as needed (but mostly trying to stay alive if they arent burning warrior)

So, for 15-20s you entirely suppress them, frustrate them and fake train.

You then pop all your CDs, lock down healers and quickly burn.

Mage/Lock continue keeping suppression up and you may not kill them on that burst. They keep shifting their CC as they go immune to cut down on the enemy DPS. Your priest is a weak spot, so make sure he's mana draining if they arent on him.

Your setup requires real skill and coordination.

Even played to perfection, this setup has trouble with good 4dps teams. You absolutely need to get and maintain initiative.

Last edited:
We run Holy Pally, MS War, UA Lock, Spriest, and Frost Mage

We do pretty well but every once in a while we'll run into a mirror team that might give us a good run or we'll get stomped into the ground by an excellent 2345 :shrug: not much you can do about it.

I run a holy pally, feral druid, holy priest, warrior, hunter

sucks because we can't do shit to paladins, but split dps seems to be the key for us.

We run a very similar setup (priest instead of second pally) and 4DPS teams are defiantly tough. Basically your goal should be shutting down 3 of their DPS (CC 2 and focus another) this does require good coordination (we have been completely schooled by mirror teams). vs DoT heavy teams sacrifice (though it may get purged) can do decent mitigation especially if they have 10+ dots on them.

Someone posted about it before. It's a dig at the complexity of playing a Shaman in PvP. Roll your hand over the 2,3,4,5 keys and you win.

IDK we played our 10 games last week with 9 gib teams out of them all.

10-0 but we're only at 2150 or so

We're Pally/Priest/Sham/Mage/War cookie cutter.

Back