Water.

ZProtoss

10,000++
One thing that hasn't been talked about much at all, is the aspect of water in the game. While I have no preference whether or not it should be in the game, I'm guessing it'll make an appearance in one way or another. (Who really knows though?). If it does make an appearance, I could think of a few decent applications of it gameplay wise. In T2 it was used as nothing more than a tool to slow down gameplay and bore it down (on most maps). However in early T2 there was a bug where you could actually ski on top of the water. (Quickly patched out but neat nonetheless). I think a fantastic way to use water would be to allow armors moving quickly to ski over it without losing alot of their momentum. Also making it so that the faster you ski over it, the less of your momentum you lose. So if a player skiing along at a normal rate went over it, he'd maybe lose 25% of his speed. Wheras if a player went over it on a blazing route, he'd lose hardly any of his speed. An application of this would be to have maps where near the edges you'd have spots of water that cappers could possibily use in their routes to evade/get a better advantage over the chasing LD.

I remember thrax saying that water wasnt going to slow you down or something...it was from the irc interview, or one of the "ask the dev team" threads....cant remember exactly what he said thought, but it sounded good.

Water not slowing you down? That ridiculous.. maybe he meant "as much.." Also, I rather like how in T2 water affected weapons

I think you should have wave physics and a deployable surfboard.

Wipeout!!

Here are some things to think about:

Yes water will slow a big heavy down compared to in the air. Look at the size of those things!

If jets can work underwater, they should also be getting more thrust from the viscosity of the space they're in. Of course the body mass will still slow it down countering any gain, but I'm just approching it from a physics standpoint.

1. Water will be fun.
2. In 3168 Frictiocorp invented the Flux Reversed OH2 Polyaquaregenerator which lets us do whatever the hell we want with the water.
3. Water will be fun.

Hrm..

What would be cool is if while in the water all jet thrust was translated to a forward (or possbily strafe/rear if you're going in that direction) momentum. That would be fun.

The problem with water in tribes 2 is that you could go up pretty well, but there was no lateral momentum.

End of the thread.

Thrax Panda said:
1. Water will be fun.
2. In 3168 Frictiocorp invented the Flux Reversed OH2 Polyaquaregenerator which lets us do whatever the hell we want with the water.
3. Water will be fun.

Can we get water skipping back? I only managed to do it once in T2 before it was removed. The speed boost I got was impressive (and fun).

Sir Lucius said:
Hrm..

What would be cool is if while in the water all jet thrust was translated to a forward (or possbily strafe/rear if you're going in that direction) momentum. That would be fun.

The problem with water in tribes 2 is that you could go up pretty well, but there was no lateral momentum.

Could make jets like the R2 in Star Wars where when the R2 goes forward, the jets thrust back and going strait up the jets are parallel to the R2.

I like low viscosity water that allows players to ski through it. That way you get the aethetic quality of water without the "negative" affect upon gameplay. Low viscosity does have an effect upon gameplay, but it does not slow players down.

I want it so you can either go fast enougth you can skip on it (I too did that once, or maybe I dreamed I did) or slow down and go in it.

It'll slow you down upon entracne, but once inside you should be able to get moving pretty quickly once again...

Oh and I second the thruster idea, that way it'd make retreating players a lot easier to spot in dark maps..

But, you know, I'm sure what yo ucan come up with will be fun too.

Geeking out now...

Given that we're wearing battle armor with anti-gravity capabilities (i.e. to ski), it only makes sense that you would bounce out of the water.

Thrax Panda said:
1. Water will be fun.
3. Water will be fun.

Don't parts of the game take place before 3168?

Back