T:V.... how are vehicle bays going to work?

dunce_boy

Veteran XV
I remember thrax saying something like, "vehicles will be there and you can just get in 'em" or something like that, like BF1942.

Well, with the addition of these new SSs, this one in particular,
tm11_shot00139

large version here
it brings up new questions regardings vehicles and the vehicle bay...
We see two guys waiting around for a vehicle. So, how is this all going to work. ...doesnt it seem like it will be slow and stupid? You'll have to wait around forever for the vehicle you want to spawn, and what if a couple of guys are waiting for the same vehicle?

Lets take a random vehicle map from T2...at the start of the map you usally get around 4 guys going for vehicles right away. One guy gets out an MPB, then a bunch of shrikers, maybe a bomber, whatever...
Now with this new vehicle spawn, doesnt it seem like the start of the map will be very slow for vehicles?

And what about choosing what kind of vehicle you want? Unless vehicles are going to be totally useless, I see this as a problem for ppl who will actually be trying to use them.

Well, idk, enlighten me on how this new vehicle bay is going to be a good thing. Granted if there is already a vehicle there, you can jump right in it and go. But already with the first SS of the vehicle bay, we see two guys standing around for a vehicle.

It seems to me that since they don't have vehicle models for public media release, that your assumption that these people are standing around waiting seems silly.

Honestly Zo, that SS really doesen't say much. Aside from that they're near a vehicle bay. Way way too early to read that much into it imo.

Zo?

It was Dunce_Boy who read deeply into the screenshot. :p I'm all for not assuming anything until they tell us what's what.

Plus, I hope we've hashed out pretty well how important it is that vehicles are easy to get into and worth getting into at all.

KP said something along the lines of:

If a vehicle is available, you just run up near the door, order one and it rolls on out.

Or maybe it was: a vehicle has a specific type of map garage for that vehicle, and if a vehicle is available, it will be rolled out ready to be used by the first person on that team who comes along to pick it up and drive away with. Then, the moment another becomes available, the garage door opens and spits it out.

Zoolooman said:
Zo?

It was Dunce_Boy who read deeply into the screenshot. :p

Zo is my real name. andy..er...ZProtoss likes to use it.

Oh, and there was a SSs of a really cool looking tank from the CGM article...an empire tank....and I belive it was coming out of the vehicle bay(not sure).

The concept of the vehicle pad isnt that clear ti me....thats why I started this thread, perhaps we could get a better explination about it...and how it is going to be better/different from other tribes games.

Quotes ahoy:

Thrax said:
So you won't be able to buy vehicles anymore?

So there will be like a jeep or a flyer or whatever sitting there and you'll run over to it fly away and then another one will come up out of the landing bay instead of just appearing out of thin air.

KineticPoet said:
As for your concerns about teamplay and vehicles...nobody ever said we're discouraging teamplay. Nobody ever said we're eliminating the role of vehicles. Admittedly, vehicles in the base game will be very carefully balanced against infantry, but nothing is stopping mappers/modders/mutators from messing with that balance.

Also, we revealed at TribalWar.com that vehicles in T:V have a physical presence in maps. This means that mapmakers place a spawn pad (which has a physical presence in the world as well) for each vehicle that they want to have in a map. This allows mapmakers to easily create maps with no vehicles, lots of vehicles, or anything in between. It also makes maps more structurally (and potentially strategically) interesting.

And that's just one example of how we're aiming to put power into the hands of mapmakers. There are more examples to come.

Each vehicle meaning each vehicle or each vehicle type?

So, if you want four shrikes (if they have shrikes) available, you'll have four shrike pads? That would rock! You'd be able to tell if we had any vehicles available just by glancing at the pads. Plus it'd be a lot harder to destroy every sinlge pad. However, depending on the different types and number of vehicles available (have we heard anything on this?), we could be looking at a lot of vehicle pads...

Or.. would each pad take care of a number of vehicles, so that as long as the limit for each pad (2? 3?) wasn't reached, a new vehicle would roll out, ready to take off? (How would this work with enemy cappers/players, would they just be able to steal our vehicles?)

Hmm... so many possibilities...

Hope the vehicles don't stay on the pad like they did in t2 or t1 for that matter. Need to get pushed off the pad if another one comes rolling in and after that maybe blow up or something?

[57th]cneal said:
Hope the vehicles don't stay on the pad like they did in t2 or t1 for that matter. Need to get pushed off the pad if another one comes rolling in and after that maybe blow up or something?

From what I'm understanding, each vehicle has its own unique spawn loaction, so that should never be a problem.

The only thing that has me thinking is vehicle highjacking. You probably won't be able to steal them after they spawn, which sounds fair to me.

Hmm.. that would be a problem if each pad can generate more than one type of vehicle (which would make the most sense).. maybe they're rolled out?

See, that wouldn't matter if there was one vehicle pad for each type of vehicle, but the more I think about that- that seems kinda dumb if you've got a lot of different types of vehicles..

Sir Lucius said:
From what I'm understanding, each vehicle has its own unique spawn loaction, so that should never be a problem.

The only thing that has me thinking is vehicle highjacking. You probably won't be able to steal them after they spawn, which sounds fair to me.

I kinda liked highjacking from t2 and I DO NOT like vehicles spawning like they have in bf1942.

[57th]cneal said:
I kinda liked highjacking from t2 and I DO NOT like vehicles spawning like they have in bf1942.

Highjacking should be allowed, after the vehicle has been driven by someone from the original team already. Like if a would-be flag capper parks his shrike (if they're in there) behind the enemy base, I love to just woll up and steal it.. then crash it into them. Fun fun fun.

Sir Lucius said:
heh, I think it was in CGM where the dev team mentions they like how vehilces spawn in bf1942 and wanted to do something like that.

Yeah it was, and while I like BF1942, I dont like trying to put it into Tribes; they are separate game-types IMO.

I personally liked the spawn-style of tribes vehicles and armors, but I just bought the CGM today and it seems like they are trying to move Tribes to a less "station oriented" game, and back to more objects on the ground like other *cough* boring and simple *cough* multi-player games.

Maybe I need to :chill: but I liked the skill of setting up inventory favs and having vehicle purchase scripts and such. I know they want to attract a larger fan base but if we have to give up this much "tribesness" I think it may suck in the end.

From what I understand they're trying to remove a lot of the clutter problems you had in previous tribes.

There are inv stations, cuz we've seen them in a ss. What the cgm article was talking about was deployables -- rather than going back and having to spamscript a bunch of turrets they were planning on having a turret depository ready to be tapped (easier to get).

Sir Lucius said:
From what I understand they're trying to remove a lot of the clutter problems you had in previous tribes.

There are inv stations, cuz we've seen them in a ss. What the cgm article was talking about was deployables -- rather than going back and having to spamscript a bunch of turrets they were planning on having a turret depository ready to be tapped (easier to get).

Ahh, very good point. Thanks for the clarification.

Back