[T:V]Repair Pack

Yes, a repair pack idea thread. :D I'm quite inebriated, that's why, so this may be OFN. Hurl tomatoes if it is.

*edit* So damn inebriated I posted it while it was halfway done. Gah. :D *edit*

Change to the repair pack:

Have it slightly heal the repairer as he repairs the repairee. That is, repairee gets healed at normal rate, repairer gets perhaps fifteen percent of the normal rate.

Possible options:

Works only when the repair target is another player.
Works with equipment as well, but at a further reduced rate for the repairer.
<insert option here>

Story Justification:

The technology is older, and the repair-nanties aren't as well-guided as they are in T1/T2. Hence, some of them hop back on the repair-gun weilder as the repair beam is fired. (Of course, strict interpretations of Harabec's Tenets would make that a no-no story-wise, but I think they can bent just a little, neh?)

Reason: I stole it straight from Sven-Coop for Half-Life. That, and it would be a nice little thing to have when I'm playing farmer//HoF support. Might also help encourage more repairs on pubs, too.

Last edited:
The justification makes sense.

It would certainly be good for when you repairing the gens and taking some fire as the team battle behind you to kill off the bad guys. i.e damnation.

Well, it always seemed like a bit of micro-strategy, should you repair yourself, or the gen as you take damage? I always had to think about it.

But maybe the longer the beam is activated, and if the item being repaired is close(a few feet or inches) some of the repair beam can "seep" like fog onto the person repairing, and heal them more and more as it saturates your armor.

It'd be cool to see it seep up in a red cloud of dusty fog up your hand as your repairing.

Last edited:
I was actually thinking that a repair "bot" would be pretty neat.

Basically, the repair bot would be part of the packs that you carry. Once you see your target, you simply click (not hold down like in previous tribes game) and the repair bot would float up to the item and do its repairs and then come back. Of course if you left the repair bot, it would assume it's pre programmed roles that is to find you and become a pack again.

Well, here's where the magic lies. The repair "bot" is really nothing more than the common repair gun from t1, t2. It's just animated and it looks good or different from previous tribes games.

As well, other applications might include auto repair where the repair bot floats around and looks for anything near by to repair(including yourself) even while you're not facing the object needing repair (for effect basically)

The application programming would also be turned off automatically when a weapon is fired in order to conserve energy.

I wanted to see an "area repair."

If you don't point the repair gun at an object and your repair pack starts healing you and people in your immediate area at a lesser rate. Would be nifty for people who're doing flag defense... one guy could just use the pack and heal everyone instead of everyone rushing to the inventory station - leaving the flag unprotected.

Repair bot sounds fun. Make it a cute little flying robot that makes R2D2 bleeps.

Area repair sounds cool too. The bot could do this, once you set it on auto repair.

Only thing is, could the bot be destroyed? Also, you couldn't use any other pack (obviously) while it was deployed. Heck, maybe it could even double as a minor annoyance, if you set it to repair something and then ctrl+r, setting off a (small) explosion when it self-destructs.

Go, go lil' repair-o-matic!

I'd name mine Jimmy-bot.

I like the first repair idea but with a modification to further incorperate the idea of older technology:

The repair gun is not perfected as it was in T1/T2 and it does not deliver its full repair ability to the target, some of it gets lost in transfer and some of it gets backfired onto the repairer. The effect is: Repairs are never a constant rate, they vary and fluxuate; not drastically but in a realistic sort of fashion so that it is not completely perdictable how much you or your target will be repaired, but still accurate enough to estimate general time ranges for repairs.

|MrSniper|Nyx said:
I like the first repair idea but with a modification to further incorperate the idea of older technology:

The repair gun is not perfected as it was in T1/T2 and it does not deliver its full repair ability to the target, some of it gets lost in transfer and some of it gets backfired onto the repairer. The effect is: Repairs are never a constant rate, they vary and fluxuate; not drastically but in a realistic sort of fashion so that it is not completely perdictable how much you or your target will be repaired, but still accurate enough to estimate general time ranges for repairs.

Having repair rate determined randomly may sound good in writing, but it would suck ingame. Imagine needing your base gens up immediately, then having to wait for over a minute while your repair gun tinkles nanites all over the place instead of pissing straight. Not fun. Not at all.

A bit off topic, but im wondering if we will actually see packs return in T:V, its just that the models released so far already have big packs on there backs (the jetpacks) and would look a bit odd with yet another one on top of it, although meybe the pack will become a belt or something, I donno.

Back