[PICS] What happens when you eat less & exercise... [epic?]

JuggerNaught said:
The atkins diet at its core is a good idea.

Think about this..do you think there were fat cavemen? Probably not, between the absolute requirement to walk everywhere, and the lack of processed foods, and most importantly breads (including yeast products), thats what kept them from being fat (that and the fat ones probably got eaten by the local animals quick).

Where people fuckup with atkins is they hear 'meat' being good for them and replace that couple pieces of bread with fat laden pork or 3 inches of bacon, or something else equally retarded

Cavemen wherent fat because they had to fucking hunt their food for 12 hours a day. Why don't you do that and see how skinny you become.

Atkins is a horrible diet.

Pendragon, the link between CVD and a high fat diet *if you're obese* is rock solid -- high fat is undoubtedly an independed risk factor for CVD if your BMI is above about 29. One of the big "lies" of the traditional eating recommendation has been that high fat in non-obese people independently of other factors contributes to disease. There really isn't much that supports that. High saturated fat and/or trans fats is bad for you either way, but high fat itself isn't, unless you're obese. When Atkins (and other diets) pointed out this "lie," it somehow gained him a lot of credibility, but people misinterpret what it means. It DOESN'T mean that high fat is "good" for you, even if you're not obese. High fat diets typically make you obese (merely due to high calory intake), for one, and that's clearly not good for you. High fat diets are also typically deficient in vegetables (and therefore fiber) and low fiber diets are associated with all sorts of gastrointestinal misgivings. Nevertheless, it is possible to eat a high fat diet that isn't provably detrimental to your health, as long as you're fit, your daily calories are acceptable to your lifestyle, you're eating enough whole foods (like fiber etc) to keep your GI happy and your nutrient/mineral requirements fulfilled, and your fat is <10% saturated. Why it matters that this fact wasn't specifically highlighted in the science behind the food pyramid is sorta beyond me: I guess people just like hearing that "fat isn't necessarily bad" and take it to mean "don't worry about how much fat you eat."

It's hard, but not impossible, to eat a healthy high fat diet.

Phoenix said:
Pendragon, the link between CVD and a high fat diet *if you're obese* is rock solid -- high fat is undoubtedly an independed risk factor for CVD if your BMI is above about 29. One of the big "lies" of the traditional eating recommendation has been that high fat in non-obese people independently of other factors contributes to disease. There really isn't much that supports that. High saturated fat and/or trans fats is bad for you either way, but high fat itself isn't, unless you're obese. When Atkins (and other diets) pointed out this "lie," it somehow gained him a lot of credibility, but people misinterpret what it means. It DOESN'T mean that high fat is "good" for you, even if you're not obese. High fat diets typically make you obese (merely due to high calory intake), for one, and that's clearly not good for you. High fat diets are also typically deficient in vegetables (and therefore fiber) and low fiber diets are associated with all sorts of gastrointestinal misgivings. Nevertheless, it is possible to eat a high fat diet that isn't provably detrimental to your health, as long as you're fit, your daily calories are acceptable to your lifestyle, you're eating enough whole foods (like fiber etc) to keep your GI happy and your nutrient/mineral requirements fulfilled, and your fat is <10% saturated. Why it matters that this fact wasn't specifically highlighted in the science behind the food pyramid is sorta beyond me: I guess people just like hearing that "fat isn't necessarily bad" and take it to mean "don't worry about how much fat you eat."

It's hard, but not impossible, to eat a healthy high fat diet.

I dont really have an argument. Except that - is the fat bad for you because you are fat? or is it that the same conditions that made you fat also make the fat more harmful to you? I tend to think the latter - that the lack of exercise, bad eating in general and especially the out of control insulin is what makes the fat so dangerous.

I am still pretty fat - although I look better now than I have in at least 8 years, but my BP is down from 153 to 133 in 3 months and I feel so much better nobody would believe me.

I eat not a lot of fat, but a fair amount - I eat steak and pork about once a week or so and I eat hamburgers all the time (no bun, no ketchup please) But I go heavy on the green stuff - even more than the 3 cups that you are supposed to do just because I like it so much and its kind of insane to think that an extra cup of broccoli is going to hose up your weight loss.

But I cook in olive oil a lot - I use butter when I cook shrimp and I am going to get some grapseed oil pretty soon. But still - when I first heard of Atkins, they showed people eating a fatty roast with cream sauce and cheese and gravy - just crazy stuff, so I thought thats what it was about, I wonder if thats what most people here think it is.

Also - for the food pyramid, I read about the guy that cooked the books when they originally were coming up with the healthy way to eat - this guy supressed several studies that showed that some cultures eat a lot of fat/meat and do just fine and cultures that eat higher carbs(or grains) that are unhealthy. He cooked the books to make it look like a direct linear relationship between meat/protein/fat consumption and disease. It is now so ingrained that people are completely unable to deal with the idea that cutting carbs and eating a little more meat and healthy fats will make you lose weight and feel better.

Drg0n+GoD+ said:
i know they didnt make bread
actually..i was watching this program on TLC and they were talking about human physiological development. The scientist they were interviewing had this huge graph laid out on the floor and it represented the overall rise in weight in humans.

There was a short section where it was relatively low, then it spiked and stayed at that level.

the spike is when grains found their way into the regular diet of humans

Wow you look great... I'd fuck you. Seriously... I thought me going from 210 to 180 @ 6' was an accomplishment; you pulled a miracle. gj

Back from the grave!@1

It's been six weeks or so since the original posting - I had gotten several PMs and IMs from folks saying they were looking to start routines and I'm wondering how that's going. Anyone make it over that first terrible month?

I've seen one person make some very nice progress so far and the rest have been fairly quiet. I'm still fielding questions if you had any...

And Fraggle - I found out this week that yes I can indeed dunk a basketball now. Heh.

- D

I bought an exercise bike but I haven't stuck with it. Thanks for the bump, it reminded me I need to get off my ass (and kick my kids off the xBox) so I can go for it. :bigthumb:

Back