[(#)SOCCER] 2007-2008 Season Thread Part II

i think robbie keane would be a great fit for pool. with torres up front, and gerrard behind, you definetly do NOT need someone demanding shots up front. what you do need is someone drawing defenders and who can hold/dribble the ball and draw defenders - exactly the type of player keane is. defenders will have to come on to him, giving more space to torres and stevie. keane would almost play as a secondary winger.

its going to be an interesting year at the Emirates

OUT : Flamini, Hleb, Lehmann, Gilberto, Abebayor(Probably)
IN : Ramsey, Nasri, and Falcao(Probably)

i think robbie keane would be a great fit for pool. with torres up front, and gerrard behind, you definetly do NOT need someone demanding shots up front. what you do need is someone drawing defenders and who can hold/dribble the ball and draw defenders - exactly the type of player keane is. defenders will have to come on to him, giving more space to torres and stevie. keane would almost play as a secondary winger.

So essentially the position Kuyt plays now

I would rather just get an out and out winger

--------torres
babel---gerrard-----new winger
-----masch----alonso/barry or lucas

also, pacheco looked good against tranmere in the friendly so he might get a shot with the first squad now that the subs bench has been increased to 7

kuyt plays like SWP or Joe Cole, basically the winger slot that is expected to work all over the field. maybe even like Park ji sung in the latter stages of the CL. Keane plays up front, drawing centre backs and central defense. hes also a playmaker. i see him playing as a 1/2 gerrard-like player in the current 4-4-1-1, and 1/2 pure striker. without the 2nd half of pure striker, defenders dont have to care about him (like they dont about kuyt). this setup means gerrard will have even more freedom.

it also means pool can have 4+ players up front that can take a defender or two on, straight up. babel, gerrard, keane, big T

Last edited:
given the system we are likely to play (4-5-1), I'd rather have a new winger on the right with two central midfielders behind gerrard than push him back a bit and try and fit keane in either as a second striker or set up behind torres.

On another note, Superliga 2008 starts tonight

I expect everything can be streamed for free in pretty good quality on superliga2008.com again this year

DC United - Chivas at 8

Dynamo - Atlante at 10

Crouch is 100% pure striker and cant hold up the ball/penetrate/make a killer pass - 3 things keane can do.

right now, to shut down pool you have to shut down two players and make sure babel doesnt get lucky. adding keane is like adding another dimension to the team, whereas crouch was just another role player. keane being on the field makes babel, torres, and gerrard better. the same can't be said for crouch

Last edited:
He was able to hold the ball up decently and his presence opened up a lot of runs for Torres to make

Essentially the option you are arguing is to push Gerrard back to central midfield and put Keane in the place Gerrard was playing last season.

I'd rather keep Gerrard where he is and bring in a good right winger.

Neither option is likely however, so the point is pretty much moot.

you dont have to push gerrard back. you can play a diamond. i mean 90% of teams have 2 strikers and an attacking playmaker mid.

You think it's worth buying Superliga tickets? I'm in Baltimore, and got nothing better to do but go to DC for Tuesday's game against Atlante. $20 doesn't seem too shabby...

probably, but most people will forget about it within a month.

New thread will be started somewhere in the beginning of August.

Back