Click Here to find great hosting deals from Branzone.com

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page Kingdom of Heaven Director's Cut
Page 1 of 2
The Magical Zoo
VeteranXV
Old
1 - 11-03-2017, 17:04
This is your biannual reminder about one of the greatest cinema secrets of the past 25 years.

Unpopular Opinion: Kingdom of Heaven Is One of Ridley Scott’s Best | Den of Geek

Quote:
When one thinks back to Ridley Scott’s many great films, it can be tricky to simply cull them down to a top-tier: Alien; Blade Runner; The Duellists; Thelma & Louise; Gladiator; The Martian. There are just so many. Yet one that almost never gets its due is the criminally overlooked Kingdom of Heaven, a masterclass of grandiose epic storytelling that is every bit as layered and emotionally complex as all of the above pictures. Perhaps even more so.

Trust us, if you’ve only seen the theatrical cut of Kingdom of Heaven, you basically haven’t seen it at all.

Indeed, 20th Century Fox made the calculated choice in 2005 to have their thrice Oscar nominated director cut his sprawling meditation on Crusades, codes of honor, and how their auras still linger today down to a paltry 144 minutes. While that is still on the lengthy side for a modern action movie, the emphasis was just that: the gore and glory that comes with medieval battle sequences. This also, in essence, robbed a very spiritual movie of its soul.

Consequently, the Kingdom of Heaven many have viewed is the barebones (read: boring) version of its events. The director’s cut, meanwhile, likely stands as the most striking improvement from a film edit to date. Whereas typical “Ultimate,” “Director,” or “Extended” cuts are tedious expansions of the same film, with all the excess plodding therein, the director’s cut of Kingdom of Heaven is a noticeably different film. And at 190 minutes, it’s a great one too.

Set in 1184 in the relative time of peace that existed in Christendom between the Second and Third Crusade, Kingdom of Heaven opens on a fascinating historical hotspot. For 85 years, Jerusalem has been held by the Christian descendants of knights who conquered the Holy Land in a river of blood during the First Crusade. If this in hindsight seems like an untenable position and a short blip in world history, keep in mind that Jerusalem has remained in modern Israeli hands for a shorter period of time thus far. Surprisingly though, a state of détente has emerged between the Kingdom of Jerusalem and the First Sultan of Damascus, Saladin (Ghassan Massoud).

In is in this context that a Crusader knight and Lord of Ibelin (Liam Neeson) returns to France to reclaim his bastard son, Balian (Orlando Bloom). He raises the boy up to the rank of knight and soon-to-be heir of his dusty lands. But most importantly, he puts him in the center of a bloody game of thrones in the Jerusalem court where a Leper King named Baldwin (Edward Norton) attempts to keep a peace in his final days before his disease claims his life.

The strength of Kingdom of Heaven is pooled from its tapestry narrative that is mostly abandoned in the theatrical cut. But in its richer full presentation, Kingdom of Heaven is more than one knight’s journey; it’s a golden kingdom’s fall from grace. And it is told with a stunning ensemble cast. Surrounding Bloom is a shifting repertoire of amazing character actors doing amazing character work, including Neeson, Jeremy Irons, David Thewlis, Michael Sheen, Brendan Gleeson, Alexander Siddig, and Marton Csokas. But the two most important players are Edward Norton and Eva Green as the royal brother and sister Baldwin and Sibylla.
One of the very few movies that gets a 10/10 from me. If you haven't seen it, do so ASAP.

Sponsored Links
Captain Tele
Veteran³
Immigrant
Old
2 - 11-03-2017, 17:07
loved this movie

Paladin-5
VeteranXX
Old
3 - 11-03-2017, 17:09
hmm, i remember watching the original at some point and being unimpressed

i'll look for this director's cut version, if i don't like it you owe me $50

Dr Dance
VeteranX
Old
4 - 11-03-2017, 17:13
Heaven can wait.

groove
VeteranXX
Old
5 - 11-03-2017, 17:58
KoH is the best example of a horrible theatrical that was completely transformed into something good by the directors cut

makes you wonder how different other 'bad' movies would be if they'd been properly cut in the first place. suicide squad is an obvious one but the list could go on forever

samUwell
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
6 - 11-03-2017, 18:07
Never seen it.

omega81
VeteranXV
Old
7 - 11-03-2017, 18:10
The directors cut of Kingdom of Heaven is one of my favorite movies ever. Highly recommend it.

Rev_Night
WelchesXV
Old
8 - 11-03-2017, 18:11
Quote:
Originally Posted by samUwell View Post
Never seen it.
me neither. after me and the gf are done binging B5 ill give it a look

JuggerNaught
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
9 - 11-03-2017, 18:22
Excellent movie, though i didn't care for the girl they had as the queen. She's just not that pretty

The Magical Zoo
VeteranXV
Old
10 - 11-03-2017, 18:24
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuggerNaught View Post
Excellent movie, though i didn't care for the girl they had as the queen. She's just not that pretty
Eva ****ing Green? This is a ban-worthy statement

JuggerNaught
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
11 - 11-03-2017, 18:25
She has great eyes. And thats where it stops

sehvi
VeteranXX
Old
12 - 11-03-2017, 18:34
Eva Green was amazing in Penny Dreadful.

Never seen this movie, should watch i guess.

anomaly
VeteranXV
Old
13 - 11-03-2017, 18:34
Quote:
She has great eyes. And thats where it stops
this is where you should stop

JuggerNaught
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
14 - 11-03-2017, 18:36
Quote:
Originally Posted by anomaly View Post
this is where you should stop
who are you again?

boston
VeteranXV
Old
15 - 11-03-2017, 18:39
I always want to watch this movie and cant. The "store" copy always gets stuck halfway. And I cant find it at Best Buy or anywhere when Im out and about. I always seem to forget to just buy it on amazon.

Its a great movie.

JuggerNaught
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
16 - 11-03-2017, 18:40
The big battle scene in this movie is probably one of the best on film

frozen-rain
VeteranXV
Old
17 - 11-03-2017, 19:02
i dont think ive seen the directors cut.

bowl of blood
Veteran++
Contributor
Old
18 - 11-03-2017, 19:08
ridley scott is a piece of garbage hack who has been riding on the coattails of great production designers for his entire career

wonder why he never makes anything but period pieces and scifi? because he'd actually need to be a director and not just throw pretty clothes and shelves in the background

-SS-
VeteranXV
Old
19 - 11-03-2017, 19:14
Quote:

You have lost your ****ing mind.

Look, LOOK at this glorious rack.

TheVoiceOfReason
VeteranX
Old
20 - 11-03-2017, 19:29
Glorious rack notwithstanding he's not wrong. Eva Green isn't very pretty.

Smokin' hot as the blazing sun, for sure.

Page 1 of 2

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page Kingdom of Heaven Director's Cut

Social Website Bullshit