Post your rigs, TW!!

Agreed, and that's sorta where I'm at. You can be an amazing player, but if you're playing through a cheap solid state practice amp, your tone obviously suffers. If you're serious about playing or performing, tone is vitally important. It takes a long time to dial in your "sound", and a lot of guitarists never find it.

Drunks in a bar can't tell what I'm doing.
:D
Neither can I.

You and I will criticize tone but most people in the audience have no clue.
Last show I went to, there were computers on the stage, no amps.
Fucking modeling software? And brazen enough to show it?
At least throw an empty cabinet onstage so it LOOKs like a wall of sound.

Drunks in a bar can't tell what I'm doing.
:D
Neither can I.

You and I will criticize tone but most people in the audience have no clue.
Last show I went to, there were computers on the stage, no amps.
Fucking modeling software? And brazen enough to show it?
At least throw an empty cabinet onstage so it LOOKs like a wall of sound.
That's putting a lot of trust in the house speaker system, but I bet it sounded ok. Modeling is still no substitute for a good amp rig, but I can see computers being practical for low profile bar gigs, as long as there's time to set up and sound check.

I always look at things from a recording standpoint. The more perfect the sound is, the better. You may not realize it, but even if you're drunk and don't know anything about sound, the show will seem better if the sound is better. If you have shitty sound, you better have a good stage performance to cover for it :)

That's putting a lot of trust in the house speaker system, but I bet it sounded ok. Modeling is still no substitute for a good amp rig, but I can see computers being practical for low profile bar gigs, as long as there's time to set up and sound check.

I always look at things from a recording standpoint. The more perfect the sound is, the better. You may not realize it, but even if you're drunk and don't know anything about sound, the show will seem better if the sound is better. If you have shitty sound, you better have a good stage performance to cover for it :)

I went to school with Jimmy Vivino - Conans band leader.
Went to NJ to see them playing. Big venue and act.
No visible amps, just laptops.
It was sad to me, sounded good, but sad nonetheless.

When you're at that level you don't have to worry about a shitty sound guy or a crappy PA system, so it works. You're right though, we'll probably see more of that in the future. Buying Guitar Rig with Rig Kontrol is a lot cheaper than an amp and a bunch of pedals.

But just as autotune has fucked vocalist with talent by letting any asshole in, pretty soon you'll need nothing but a checkbook to play exactly like Hendrix.

Guitars:

ESP Kamikaze - Seymour Duncan Screamin' Demon HB
ESP Skulls and Snakes - Seymour Duncan Screamin' Demon HB
Jackson Dinky Pro - Seymour Duncan JB HB
Aria Pro II Wildcat - Seymour Duncan JB HB
Epi Les Paul - Completely stock

Amps:

Peavey Transfex Pro Head
Fender Deluxe tube amp

Push either/or through:

2X12 Genz Benz cabinet

Pedals:
Pod XT Live Pro

When you're at that level you don't have to worry about a shitty sound guy or a crappy PA system, so it works. You're right though, we'll probably see more of that in the future. Buying Guitar Rig with Rig Kontrol is a lot cheaper than an amp and a bunch of pedals.

Don't get me wrong, I am a fan of modeling. I own more than my fair share of modeling plug-ins for recording - thousands of dollars worth, now - and I own a Pod XT Live, and I use a Line6 2x12 for live work with the rock band. That said...

A real guitar and a real amp, recorded or amplified well, is almost always better. I'm not gonna write off modelers - I play with one all the time and it sounds better than my other guitar player's amp :) - but I'm switching back to tubes and real amps. A modeler can get you 90% of the way but the real deal is the real deal.

I got to use some of Garth Richardson's gear on our latest recordings; he's a big producer here in Vancouver. Man, he has a huge collection of stuff! I had a lot of fun fucking around with all his vintage amps and pedals, which have been used on a bunch of big albums.

Isn't it inspiring to play with someone else's high quality gear? I played through my producer's Mark IV quite a bit, and he has a hot-rodded Marshall too (posted above), and they were just out of control cool.

HW/DAW
1986 MkIII Mesa Boogie 100/60w, 5-band EQ, Reverb tank, (green stripe)
2x12 Mesa Boogie Rectifier cab, horizontal
Peavey Wolfgang, Archtop, Amber color, chrome hardware
Shure SM-58 (gotta have one!)
AKG Perception 420
M-Audio Axiom 49e
M-Audio Firewire Solo
Mac Pro, dual quad-core 3.0ghz, 8gb ram
Logic Studio

SW (*that I use most)
Toontrack Superior Drummer 2, all SDXs
Amplitube 3
T-Racks Deluxe
Spectrasonics Omnisphere, Trillian
Chris Lord-Alge plugins from Waves

My next investment ... I really mean investment (because software takes most of my money) is going to be a nicer condenser mic for vocals and acoustic guitar. As it is, I can make most any sound I want, any style... but I can't capture nicer vocals without a better room and/or better mic. I suppose I'll dish out $1000 or so on my next one and hope it never falls/breaks.

Also, I don't own pedals anymore other than my channel switch, eq, reverb pedal I had made for the Mesa... any effects I would use go through a laptop controllable/switchable by a midi controller (Axiom) and then out to the PA. I found that its the best way to do things if I want a HUGE array of sounds in a live setting and don't want to lug around my amp.

Guitar > preamp/input > laptop / midi controller > PA ... It may look goofy, but it sounds amazing

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong, I am a fan of modeling. I own more than my fair share of modeling plug-ins for recording - thousands of dollars worth, now - and I own a Pod XT Live, and I use a Line6 2x12 for live work with the rock band. That said...

A real guitar and a real amp, recorded or amplified well, is almost always better. I'm not gonna write off modelers - I play with one all the time and it sounds better than my other guitar player's amp :) - but I'm switching back to tubes and real amps. A modeler can get you 90% of the way but the real deal is the real deal.

Man o man, try Waves Chris Lord-Alge (CLA Guitar) plug-in.. you might just change your mind. I really mean it. GuitarRig/Amplitube/Logic/Peavey/Line6 are a 1 out of 10 compared to this thing.

Its the only plug-in I've found that has any sort of real 're-amp' sound whether clean/crunch/heavy, and the only one that has a "real gain sound" (as though you're actually increasing the Gain knob on an amp). It picks up on on artificial harmonics as they sound through a real amp. Its just amazing. But ... $$$ of course.

Last edited:
I will give it a shot and demo it. Sounds interesting.

But I'm designing my pedalboard now...going to rock a 100W Rivera and a 2x12. I always have my eye out for a 1960b Marshall cab, though.

Also, here are three of my and my main amp:

24182_802300296778_16712377_44484544_4189679_n.jpg

24182_802300261848_16712377_44484539_5500359_n.jpg

24182_802300336698_16712377_44484550_5865038_n.jpg

24182_802300376618_16712377_44484557_1992507_n.jpg

(that's natural lens flare folks)

BUMP

Added a MacBook Pro with Ableton Live (and Traktor)

Hopefully adding a 49-Key Midi Keyboard soon.

Anyone else get some new gear?

Been playing shows lately with the rock band, playing the 100W Rivera head and a pedalboard. I am not sold.

Dammit, I just need to throw down the cash, get a fucking 4x12 Mesa cab, and a Dual Rec, and be done. That's the rig I've been trying like hell to come up with and everything is just a pale imitation. I want to sound like Hetfield with more fizz, and this Rivera gets close but always winds up sounding like Kerry King.

Don't get me wrong, Kerry King rocks, but my riffs don't sound great with Kerry King's sound. This rivera sounds thin, and I need something that fucking THUMPS.

I've been playing a Rivera M100 head and a pedalboard through a 2x12, in the hard rock band. I am unsatisfied.

Today I agreed to buy a Marshall 4x12 and will be returning my Mesa TriAxis and 2:Ninety to service. It's a 15 year old rig, but god damn it, it sounds fucking awesome. It's what I've been trying to sound like for the past 10 years and failing.

Back