Wtf??? (Professor issues)

Yoda said:
Fal, the e-mail was sent at 2:45 on Monday. ie. 15 minutes into the block that he asked me to stop by. And I didn't get the e-mail till the late evening since I was in class until late and went out after that.

does he have office hours today?

Tell him if he pushes it any more you'll call the Conservative watchdog groups and claim your academic freedom is being violated.

Kerosene31 said:
This would be true, except for the daily quizzes on reading. This is just plain silly. Profs treat students like kids, then they should expect them to act like them.

If it weren't for the quizzes, he could skip class and not bother anyone and just do the reading on his own.

Because for the most part, the students ARE kids. Look at the above post. Showing up to class because he 'decided' to, reading the paper,
people aren't reading the paper or sleeping or talking or doing stuff that is way more distruptive
Does that sound like an adult who is trying to further their education? No, thats a kid who's in school because mom and dad are paying for it, or they are on a sports scholarship or whatever. Meanwhile, the rest of the people who are working their way through school have to put up with these immature morons and it makes it harder for those that actually want to be there to concentrate and get their work done.

So because everyone else is being a moron you figured it was ok if you jumped on the moron bandwagon as well?

Fool said:
It's disrespectful to show up and ignore him, especially doing something distracting to other students. You wasted his time, he should get to waste yours.

Sexactly.

You smarted off about his textbook in a political fashion (a futile pursuit since the dawn of college education), and you read a newspaper during his class ater making a "name" for yourself by making comments about the textbook. How you could not anticipate such an eventuality boggles my fuckin' mind.

Just because a class is poorly conceived and executed doesn't mean you have the right to be an asshole about it.

Would it kill you e-thugs to take the moral HIGH ground for once rather than focusing solely on contemptuous revenge?

JuggerNaught said:
So because everyone else is being a moron you figured it was ok if you jumped on the moron bandwagon as well?

No, I already said that I made a mistake. I can admit when I'm wrong. I didn't realize that it was a big deal because in the society that I'm in people don't play it off as a big deal. I made a mistake. It happens.

Kerosene31 said:
Yeah how did you get picked out on a 150 person class?

I have no idea. But I can guess that our rosters (the teacher's copy) have pictures next to each of the names, so I think he got it from there.

The bottom line is you have to learn what a prof expects during the first class. I assume he mentioned the quizzes, so at that point you need to understand that he obviously feels showing up to class and paying attention is important (even if it really isn't).

It is on that first day where you have to either go talk to him or drop and find a class taught by someone who doesn't care about attendance.

And when would you fit time in to 'learn something' when you cant even be bothered to put down the paper during CLASS time..you know..the time when you are supposed to be learning something?

OR MAYBE
Ben Reed said:
You smarted off about his textbook in a political fashion (a futile pursuit since the dawn of college education), and you read a newspaper during his class ater making a "name" for yourself by making comments about the textbook. How you could not anticipate such an eventuality boggles my fuckin' mind.

JuggerNaught said:
And when would you fit time in to 'learn something' when you cant even be bothered to put down the paper during CLASS time..you know..the time when you are supposed to be learning something?

When I'm in one of my other 5 classes taking up 20 credits where the material is worth spending time on. I'm not going to toot my own horn, but I'm a god damn model student when it comes to being in class. I have one class where I don't have to be completely on the ball and I want to relax a little. I guess I have to more discrete.

Yoda said:
I have no idea. But I can guess that our rosters (the teacher's copy) have pictures next to each of the names, so I think he got it from there.

Calling out his textbook was probably the red flag in retrospect, as Ben Reed said :)

Baby Bew said:
Hi I'm Yoda, I'm a sophisticated scholar and i like to read the newspaper

I'm not claiming to be amazing or special or anything. I do like reading the newspaper though.

Kerosene31 said:
Calling out his textbook was probably the red flag in retrospect, as Ben Reed said :)

Sorry, thought college was about having your own opinion :shrug: so much for that academic freedom that the liberals keep talking about. (oh wait, I'm split down the middle... I just bashed myself...)

Back