Reload this Page [lol] Outsourced!
Page 6 of 9
krustyy
VeteranXX
Old
101 - 11-30-2010, 20:46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bughead View Post
I don't get interviews. I've not had a single one yet. I've had tons of call-backs and they all said the same thing; That they had found someone more qualified and they were calling to let me know to keep searching.

I've been applying for jobs that take 0-2 years experience (I just graduated with my Bachelors recently, and that's how much experience I have). Those same jobs (entry level jobs) tell me in the call-backs that they are hiring people with 5 or more years experience.

Basically people who are over-qualified are applying for the only jobs I can get. I don't blame the companies for taking them over me since they're getting a lot better deal with them, but wtf? How am I supposed to get a job when there aren't enough to go around and there's so many applying? I need ANY job so that I can start getting "experience" and be qualified to apply for better jobs, but I can't find ANYTHING IT related.
What's your degree in and what kind of jobs are you applying for? There's gotta be something around that's basic helpdesk somewhere and that doesn't require a degree nor a significant amount of experience.

Sponsored Links
Bughead
VeteranXX
Old
102 - 11-30-2010, 21:18
Quote:
Originally Posted by krustyy View Post
What's your degree in and what kind of jobs are you applying for? There's gotta be something around that's basic helpdesk somewhere and that doesn't require a degree nor a significant amount of experience.
Bachelor of Science in IT, Minor in Business Administration (yes laugh now, I went to school for IT)

I've been applying for anything that says Help Desk or the likes with low experience requirements. I'd rather actually work on machines and deal with people face-to-face but I've been applying for the horrid call center jobs as well.

I'm in Lexington, KY (moved here from a smaller town hoping the city would have more jobs) and have been applying for jobs within a 50 mile radius through Craigslist/Career Builder/DICE/specific company websites and even newspapers with no luck.

I basically have no "job" experience (I know what I'm doing, but haven't had a real job to back it up) and no one wants to hire me because of it. I have some worthless certs (A+/Net+) and have studied the CCNP and MCITP (can't afford to take the exams for them) but that doesn't seem to help either.

Hazee Daze
VeteranXV
Old
103 - 11-30-2010, 22:52
Quote:
Bachelor of Science in IT, Minor in Business Administration (yes laugh now, I went to school for IT)

I've been applying for anything that says Help Desk or the likes with low experience requirements. I'd rather actually work on machines and deal with people face-to-face but I've been applying for the horrid call center jobs as well.

I'm in Lexington, KY (moved here from a smaller town hoping the city would have more jobs) and have been applying for jobs within a 50 mile radius through Craigslist/Career Builder/DICE/specific company websites and even newspapers with no luck.

I basically have no "job" experience (I know what I'm doing, but haven't had a real job to back it up) and no one wants to hire me because of it. I have some worthless certs (A+/Net+) and have studied the CCNP and MCITP (can't afford to take the exams for them) but that doesn't seem to help either.
OK, take this advice with a grain of salt 'cause I know it is super hard right now but...

You may want to consider ramping up your "network." (I hate that term, but it's applicable.) Here are a couple of things that you may want to try off the top of my head...

1.) Try to get some recruiters to work for you--visit offices that have temp positions, basically market yourself as an office worker so you can get something that'll get you in the door somewhere. Be nice, courteous, and friendly to the people that work there. Let them know what you "really" want, but tell them you are willing to file if it'll get you in the door.
2.) Make sure you've got a LinkedIn account, read some articles on how to use it, and leverage friends of friends on it.
3.) Find professional associations for the kind of work that you are interested in and start attending meetings. Even if you have to pay. Schmooze with people who are already doing what you want to do, and see if any doors open there. (Carry resumes or cards to the meetings, be friendly.)
4.) Network like a mad mother****er. Friends of friends, family, acquaintances, keep in their faces (nice like) but keep bugging them.

Don't get too down on yourself, I can't even imagine trying to look for work right now straight out of college.

GL!

Stealth
VeteranXV
Old
104 - 12-01-2010, 00:09
Quote:

Wasting your degree on IT was your first mistake. The second is living in Kentucky.

It's going to be much harder to get your start down there, because there aren't as many jobs. The trick is to move to a city that has a lot of IT jobs. Boston, Los Angeles and New York would be the three "IT cities" if I had to choose. There's plenty of jobs in each, including helpdesk. You also might land a good starting salary, but don't worry, there's a high COL associated with it.

With that said, why the **** would you ever bother going into IT? It's a complete waste of a field and you'll have no life outside of it. My advice is to leverage that business minor and try to do something else. You'll like IT in the beginning, but you'll hate it in the long run when you realize that most SMB's refuse to spend a single dollar on building or maintaining a proper infrastructure. This translates to a lot of unpaid OT for you and plenty of lost time with your family. They also skimp heavily on hiring full-time employees to share the workload and try to outsource you around every corner. I know you won't take my word for it, so good luck in your search.

groundzero
VeteranXX
Old
105 - 12-01-2010, 16:05
you neg repped me for calling you a ***** for taking it in the butt from your job.

you a *****.

Bughead
VeteranXX
Old
106 - 12-01-2010, 16:13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth View Post
Wasting your degree on IT was your first mistake. The second is living in Kentucky.

It's going to be much harder to get your start down there, because there aren't as many jobs. The trick is to move to a city that has a lot of IT jobs. Boston, Los Angeles and New York would be the three "IT cities" if I had to choose. There's plenty of jobs in each, including helpdesk. You also might land a good starting salary, but don't worry, there's a high COL associated with it.

With that said, why the **** would you ever bother going into IT? It's a complete waste of a field and you'll have no life outside of it. My advice is to leverage that business minor and try to do something else. You'll like IT in the beginning, but you'll hate it in the long run when you realize that most SMB's refuse to spend a single dollar on building or maintaining a proper infrastructure. This translates to a lot of unpaid OT for you and plenty of lost time with your family. They also skimp heavily on hiring full-time employees to share the workload and try to outsource you around every corner. I know you won't take my word for it, so good luck in your search.
I'm only 1 quarter (3 months 4 classes) from having a Bachelor of Science in Business Administration if I wanted, but what can I do with that really? I've never understood the whole business degree thing (I don't know what kind of jobs open up for you with it).

That's why I considered starting my own business so that I could use the IT and business experience, but I never really figured out a good way to go about it. Computer repair usually always fails from what I can see, and other than a Cyber Cafe I don't know what kind of IT business is profitable and stable for the long term. That's why I'm considering making a start-up website selling information/advice (more on that soon if I decide to do it since I'll be involving TW with it).

I always liked IT since I spend most of my time on computers and I was the kid that took everything apart to find out how it works, but I'm almost starting to wish I had went into Pharmacy like everyone told me to...

Rayn
Tribalwar Admin
Contributor
Old
107 - 12-01-2010, 16:15
you can do pretty much nothing with a degree in business administration.

Skibbi9
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
108 - 12-01-2010, 16:17
rayn for a lot of undergrad business schools its: B.S. in Bus Admin with a major in X. where x = finance/accounting/MIS/etc.

NoGodForMe
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
109 - 12-01-2010, 16:22
Good advice from Hazee Daze. Hindsite is 20/20, but I kept telling everyone to stay away from IT because of the cube farm. It's stupid because every company wants 10 acronyms, one person to handle 5 departments. Contact the head hunters and they'll all ask if you know SQL server, C++, PHP, Java, and a bunch of niche apps. What is your reward for knowing all of this? A 6x6 cube next to customer service girls who talk all day in Spanish. I'm not kidding about this.

Apply for grad school, even if it means taking extra classes to get in. Lexington KY is the hub for UPS, that's about it. The company I work for has a big warehouse up there, but the IT department is in South Florida.

I do agree with others you need to move if you're staying in IT, but it's really a sucky world. Programming leads to the cube farm. A room full of 30 people who talk all day. The only way to an office is manager or above.

What you missed out on in college was finding a partner to start a business, and you didn't network for jobs. But if you're in college for 3 more months, then network.

Last edited by NoGodForMe; 12-01-2010 at 16:27..
samUwell
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
110 - 12-01-2010, 16:37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcursion View Post
Try vawlk's new game.
omfg... that was awesome!!

i will forever play this game.

Bughead
VeteranXX
Old
111 - 12-01-2010, 16:52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skibbi9 View Post
rayn for a lot of undergrad business schools its: B.S. in Bus Admin with a major in X. where x = finance/accounting/MIS/etc.
Yeah mine is BS in BA in IT (which probably makes it even more useless).

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoGodForMe View Post
But if you're in college for 3 more months, then network.
I graduated in March of this year. I just meant I could go back to finish the Business Admin Bachelor if it was worth anything.

Last edited by Bughead; 12-01-2010 at 16:54..
Rayn
Tribalwar Admin
Contributor
Old
112 - 12-01-2010, 16:57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skibbi9 View Post
Wouldn't your B.S. be in X then? I'd rather just have B.S in Accounting on my resume.

Skibbi9
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
113 - 12-01-2010, 16:59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayn View Post
Wouldn't your B.S. be in X then? I'd rather just have B.S in Accounting on my resume.
people shorten it to that, but technically its wrong.

dementia
VeteranX
Old
114 - 12-01-2010, 17:39
Bughead, what kind of work do you want to do? Are you set on doing some kind of network administration type job or have you considered entry-level systems analysts positions and programming type stuff? I know from personal experience there are a decent amount of entry-level openings for MIS type jobs in Ohio...

Bughead
VeteranXX
Old
115 - 12-01-2010, 18:05
Quote:
Originally Posted by dementia View Post
Bughead, what kind of work do you want to do? Are you set on doing some kind of network administration type job or have you considered entry-level systems analysts positions and programming type stuff? I know from personal experience there are a decent amount of entry-level openings for MIS type jobs in Ohio...
As long as it's in-house I'm not sure I care anymore (if in-house is the correct term). I mean working at a company, for the company, working on and/or fixing their stuff in that building. I'm so tired of call centers.

I have the most experience with hardware and networking, but I can get into software if that's what I need to do.

Automatic Jack
VeteranX
Old
116 - 12-01-2010, 18:19
My real passion is food, I am considering switching professions.

Durak
VeteranXV
Old
117 - 12-01-2010, 18:24
i can't imagine how anyone in this day and age would start an IT degree and think it was a good idea...

Pagy
VeteranXX
Old
118 - 12-01-2010, 19:06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayn View Post
Would you put Bachelor of Chemistry on your resume?

it doesn't exist.

it's not that it's hard to get a job with bus. admin or a b.comm, it's that many people with these degrees are plain stupid.

Skyler
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
119 - 12-02-2010, 00:18
I was NetWare certified back in '99, Novell NetWare 4.11. Those were the days.

jonb
VeteranXX
Old
120 - 12-02-2010, 00:39
What happened to Novell, I remember them being huge in the 90's.

Page 6 of 9

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page [lol] Outsourced!

Social Website Bullshit

Tags
obama'd. , odio can't read , odio is a fucking retard