Brasstax
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
1 - 09-09-2020, 10:42
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/09/w...bos-moria.html
Quote:
Fire Destroys Most of Europe’s Largest Refugee Camp on Greek Island of Lesbos

Campaigners have long warned that the overcrowded conditions at the impoverished camp might lead to catastrophe.

A fast-moving fire destroyed most of Europe’s largest refugee camp on the Greek island of Lesbos, leaving most of its 12,000 residents homeless just days after they were collectively quarantined because of a coronavirus outbreak there.

No deaths were initially reported. But vast stretches of the overcrowded camp and an adjacent spillover site were destroyed in the fire that began late on Tuesday night, leaving only a medical facility and small clusters of tents untouched.

By Wednesday, the blaze had already begun to prompt widespread soul-searching across Europe, where the Moria camp, and the neglect of its residents, has become synonymous with the continent’s increasingly unsympathetic approach to refugees.

Ursula von der Leyen, president of the European Union’s executive arm, the European Commission, said she felt “deep sorrow” about the fire, while the governor of a region in western Germany, Armin Laschet, said he was willing to admit up to 1,000 refugees from the camp as part of a wider European resettlement program that has yet to be developed.

Some residents of the camp managed to escape to the island’s main town of Mytilene, while others were able to remain in their tents in small areas of the camp that were unaffected by the blaze. But many were being held nearby on Wednesday morning while the Greek authorities decided where to house them.

Aid workers said the fire at Moria, which is named after a nearby village, began shortly after 10 p.m. on Tuesday following protests by residents over recent coronavirus restrictions and spread quickly because of high winds and the explosion of gas canisters.

Sponsored Links
Mitchdubai
Pooptruck++
Old
2 - 09-09-2020, 10:46
Brass**** made the Lesbos joke the rest of us got bored with in 1982.

Wait til he finds out there's a place in Thailand called Phuket

Brasstax
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
3 - 09-09-2020, 10:49
oh god here comes the Pharo of Phuket with poo in his bucket
stfu mitch - you grunting giver of guff

Pagy
VeteranXX
Old
4 - 09-09-2020, 10:50
one time i was a hot greek chick mercenary and killed medusa on lesbos

T-Dawg
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
5 - 09-09-2020, 10:54
It's Les BOS

Vanster
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
6 - 09-09-2020, 11:07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchdubai View Post
Brass**** made the Lesbos joke the rest of us got bored with in 1982.

Wait til he finds out there's a place in Thailand called Phuket
Dude, I played tennis in Lesbos. Of the Greek islands I've been to, it scores second place for beauty; Mykonos 3rd, Crete 4th and the best by a long shot, Corfu.

Chrom
VeteranXX
Old
7 - 09-09-2020, 12:20
Was this fire caused by a Gender Reveal party too?

Plasmatic
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
8 - 09-09-2020, 12:28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brasstax View Post
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/09/w...bos-moria.html

A fast-moving fire destroyed most of Europe’s largest refugee camp on the Greek island of Lesbos, just days after they were collectively quarantined because of a coronavirus outbreak there.

Aid workers said the fire at Moria began shortly after 10 p.m. on Tuesday following protests by residents over recent coronavirus restrictions and spread quickly because of high winds.
fixed.

Mitchdubai
Pooptruck++
Old
9 - 09-09-2020, 12:37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanster View Post
Dude, I played tennis in Lesbos. Of the Greek islands I've been to, it scores second place for beauty; Mykonos 3rd, Crete 4th and the best by a long shot, Corfu.
Corfu is the only one i've been to as it happens. Around 1981, yeah it was pretty nice but at age 17 anything with cold beer and scantily dressed babes ticked every conceivable box. And we still thought "Lesbos" was funny.

Brasstax
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
10 - 09-09-2020, 21:49
I traveled through Greece on horse and carriage at age 14. 11 of us - 5 girls 6 boys between 12 and 16 years old with a husband and wife team to lead us.

We started in Argos where we picked up the horses, carts and gear from a man who stored them for the couple. We headed to Piraeus and jumped a ferry to Iraklion, Crete. We circled the island and returned to the ferry. I was one of the cart drivers because I was good at it in traffic. We stopped at the palace of King Minos etc. Every night we camped in a large tent - gypsy style. Usually in an olive grove. Once on the rim of the Isthmus of Corinth. Not only did villagers rush out to see us and feed us, we also had the privellege of staying with true Romani. The woman who was part of the husband wife team spoke Romani. We all looked like gypsies. Wild hair, our tents. We learned to speak Greek. We learned to take food to cook in the bakery ovens for cheap while they cooled down after the morning baking. It was common for people to use the ovens in this manner. We would get yogurt straight from the maker. We ate so much good food. Octopus etc. (Try 'Skordalia' if you ever get a chance or make some - it's easy)

We could sing the Greek national anthem in Greek. People loved us. They thanked us for WWII as if we participated. They told us how they hated "the hippies" with their needles. They tried to talk the girls into being models. They tried to bang all of us in the cities. They all wanted to be with the crazy American Gypsy kids that sang the national anthem in Greek while one of us played a guitar. We would do it for tips and then go buy treats. Even a bottle of Ouzo (bad idea). Everywhere we went, people would come to meet us. We returned to the mainland and traveled to Paleo Astros. We also visited Mycenea. We got to see Agamemnon's mask at the museum and plenty of ruins. We even made it to the Acropolis. It was a wild time for a 14 year old.

I returned to Greece with a British gf at the age of 22. We drove down from Switzerland. We stopped by Argos and stopped by the horsetrader's home out of the blue. I spoke Greek and reminded him of my name. It was nap time but he got his wife up and we stayed for some dinner and spoke of the trip. He and his wife had tears in their eyes that some stupid American kid made his way back and remembered where he lived, his wife's name and enough of the language to get around.

My GF and I stayed in Greece for that summer so I have almost 5 months immersed in the country and culture. The same experience would be hard to match as an adult. I cherish the memories.

Here are a couple of pics I dug up.
Me making kindling for the evening fire out of an olive branch...

Me at the front corner of the cart with my back turned helping to hold it back while we descended a typical mountain path. the old brake stick was pretty ****ty - especially when wet.

Odio
VeteranXV
Old
11 - 09-09-2020, 22:06
Funny how these chumps claim they've been to Greece, but only Brasstax was able to supply actual proof.

ArakAtak
VeteranXX
Old
12 - 09-10-2020, 07:51
Now that is some goddam content

GG, it deserves a better thread than this

Quote:
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Brasstax again.

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page Hot Lesbos Action

Social Website Bullshit