Salmon with Crisped Skin

bam

Veteran XX
I've been getting a bit experimental lately and I love salmon. I've heard that crisped skin is pretty good and, as it turns out, it is. Here's what I've been doing lately...

I cook for two people, including myself, so I only cook two fillets at a time.

Ingredients:
Sockeye or King Salmon fillets (Atlantic salmon isn't real salmon)
Extra Virgin Olive Oil (or Peanut oil if olive oil is too heavy for you)
Kosher salt
Fresh ground pepper
Dried basil
Dried oregano
Lemon pepper
Garlic powder

Fish prep:
Cut the salmon into evenly shaped and thick pieces as you'll wind up with better and more evenly cooked fish. Try to remove all the bones you possibly can using either some needle nose pliers that are clean (the best) or a fish deboner, of sorts.

Once that is done I take the back of a chef knife and "squeegee" all of the water out of the skins. I wipe that portion of the knife down with a paper towel after every stroke. Go both ways on the fish to get the majority of the moisture out.

After I have gotten enough of the moisture out I will flip the salmon over and coat it with my mixture below.

Coating:
I mix some kosher salt, fresh ground pepper, dried basil, dried oregano, a dash of lemon pepper, and a dash of garlic powder all together to make my seasoning. I season the fillets to my liking just before putting them in the pan.

Cooking:
Preheat a pan on medium to medium-high heat until the pan is nice and hot. Once the pan is hot pour some oil in there and make sure it simmers. When the oil is nice and hot put the fillets in the pan, skin side down. Cook the fish skins until they are thin with a nice crispy golden brown. Flip the salmon over and let it sear the top of the fish. You'll want to pull the salmon off when it is almost cooked all of the way through. When it is cooked pull it off and let it sit for a couple of minutes and then plate.

[strike]What is scoring? I'm not a chef by any means, so I don't know what some techniques and stuff are.[/strike] I hardly got any skin curling last night, which is unusual, but I will try scoring next time.
To keep the skin on fish fillets from curling when it hits a hot skillet, first score the skin. Place the fillets, skin side up, on the work surface. Using the tip of a sharp knife, make several shallow slashes in the skin about 1 inch apart. Turn the fillets 90 degrees and make several more slashes to form a crisscross pattern.

As far as basting, what would you recommend?

Last edited:
Crisped skin salmon is the tits. I had it a few months ago because we were at some ritzy place, and it was so good. I didn't even know I liked salmon until then.

[strike]What is scoring? I'm not a chef by any means, so I don't know what some techniques and stuff are.[/strike] I hardly got any skin curling last night, which is unusual, but I will try scoring next time.

As far as basting, what would you recommend?

tilt the pan, use a spoon to scoop up the hot fat/juices and pour it over the top

What nf said. I'd also put a pat of butter in the oil after flipping and baste with the jus/butter/oil mixture to finish depending on how healthy or purist you wanna be. Then you have a pan sauce to drizzle over the fish when you are done.

Perfect. I figured you had some special basting sauce you made or something. The simpler the better for me :sunny:

Butter - lots of butter, perhaps a whole piece of garlic, some thyme, baste like mad.

Better yet, make a sorrel sauce for the salmon....

baste like mad bro
forage a zone of sorrel from your neighbor's overgrown driveway, hit it with a few pulses in the coupe with a steady drizzle of olia and a gank of xan

Back